Ebay shipping

Does ebay charge for selling on ebay ? 

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Ebay shipping

Of course!

https://pages.ebay.ca/seller-centre/fees-payments/fees.html#fees-table

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

Ya I just looked at that chart and it made absolutely no sense to me 

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

So its 30 cent for something you sell ???

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

@van13sina wrote:

Ya I just looked at that chart and it made absolutely no sense to me 

If just starting out then this a better page:

https://www.ebay.ca/pages/help/sell/fees.html

Listing:

It costs to create a listing (that is the 30 cents you saw) -- but the first 50 listings every month are free (as long as you do not add any extras).

Do not use 1 or 3 day listings (they cost extra) and skip any of the extras that cost money like reserve price -- they usually provide little benefit for the cost.

Sold:

You get charged 10% of the sale price IF the item sells (this called a FVF - Final Value Fee charge) plus sales tax on the ebay selling fee.

-..-

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

Good advice there from ypdc_dennis  Let me just add that you will pay the FVF (Final Value Fee) on the total amount of your sale(s), which will also include the shipping charges.  Keep this in mind when determining how much you list your item for when listing something.  

Not wanting to confuse matters but, you only pay a fee to eBay on your lowest domestic shipping charge. So, if you charge $5 to ship within Canada but someone from the US buys it and pays $10 for shipping, you will "only" have to pay the shipping 10% on the $5 (domestic)   If shipping is free within Canada, then you will not be charged any Final Value Fees on any shipping charges. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

The only thing I’ll add is payment due dates: seller fees are payable monthly on the 1st or 15th of the month, depending on what payment schedule you are (randomly) given. As opposed to PayPal fees which are deducted before the money hits your account on a per-transaction basis. PayPal is 30 cents per transaction plus 2.9 per cent on domestic currency with a higher percentage to do currency conversions. Maybe double. I don’t recall, since it’s not like sellers can easily avoid taking PayPal. Or maybe it’s 2.7 per cent. Whatever it is, you can’t feasibly avoid those payment processing fees unless you accept cash on pickup which really limits your available market.

And there’s a 21-day hold on payment being released to new or infrequent sellers. Until a seller proves themselves to be reliable, PayPal holds those funds in case they (or eBay) have to issue a fast refund to the buyer.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is after you used up 50 free listings monthly.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

And Free Shipping isn't.

It means the seller has put his shipping costs into the asking price for the item.

Which is cheaper for the buyer?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

Or a $15 item with Free Shipping?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

So its 30 cent for something you sell ???

No.

That is the listing fee and is not refundable.

At the moment you get your first 50 listings free. Number 51 will cost you 30 cents.

Any listing that sells costs  you 10% of selling price PLUS 10 % of shipping fee.

PLUS you will be charged a processing fee by Paypal of 30 cents PLUS 2.9% of the total payment.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Ebay shipping

And over 85% of transactions are Fixed Price not Auction.

You can add Immediate Payment Required to a Fixed Price listing at no extra charge and your listing will stay live until someone pays for it.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply