Ebay turns against good sellers.

This is as good a place as any to express my outrage at some o0f Ebays current policies.

It appears that malicious buyers have the ability to downgrade a sellers standing at Ebay and there is nothing you can do about it.

I had few instances in which buyers expressed dissatisfaction and in every single case I gave them an instant refund.

One was a buyer who after looking at a dozen clear images of a pendant said there wasn't enough blue in it.I gave her an instant refund gritting my teeth on her stupidity.

Another said the gem was not as bright as my pictures [what light source was SHE looking at it under?] said it was lovely anyway--kept it and gave me a black mark.

Another said the gem was dull--I gave her an instant refund and re listed it and it sold in one day to a customer who says its lovely!

The end result of this is I pay 20% more in end commissions for nothing and am downgraded a notch.

We have no ability to counter idiotic feedback!!!

Ebay has enraged many in my line before because they refuse to distinguish between cheap AMMONITE and gem AMMOLITE and so when you search the term "ammolite jewelry"--you get 90% trash AMMONITE jewelry on Ebay searches.

I and others have tried endlessly to get EBAY recognize the difference but they have ignored us.

They do a disservice to anyone shopping for Ammolite jewelry because their search in Ebay presents them with mostly garbage that should be listed under "fossil jewelry"

So my only alternative was to set up my own website which comes up beautifully when you search "ammolite jewelry" on Google.I have a paid Adwords ad that places me right at the top on US Google and it is sure paying off.

I did that a year ago and now the sales from my own site exceed that of my Ebay shop by quite a bit.

Don't these people realize they are forcing decent vendors away with their policies.

After all--they are no longer getting the commissions and fees on the sales on my own site--and that is directly linked to their policies.

That's my rant people--and I already feel better!

Go ahead with the homilies Mr.Elmwood.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

In some cases the defect system can penalize sellers for a buyer's mistake and I agree that isn't right and it can be very frustrating.

But why did you end up having to pay 20% more in fees?  When you refunded you would have gotten back your paypal fees other than the .30 transaction fee and when you cancelled the transaction, you would have been credited your ebay fees.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I agree that the new defect system is draconian and can quickly result in sellers losing status, TRS discounts, being limited, or otherwise restricted in their selling.  Personally I think eBay is trying to weed out small, independent sellers.  Those with higher volumes who are subject to a 3-month evaluation, rather than 12 months are better off.  It doesn't take much, percentage-wise, to get into serious trouble with defects when you're only selling a couple of hundred items a year and the entire year is being counted.

That being said, can you clarify what you mean by "I pay 20% more in commissions"?  Do you mean you lost your TRS discount (Global, I presume?) because of 3 or 4 neutral/negative FB?  Or because of FB and DSR combined?  Your DSR rates look pretty good overall. 

The reason I ask is that my understanding from the Spring Seller Update is that defects won't affect your TRS status until you have transactions with defects from at least 5 different buyers over your current evaluation period, and that each transaction is counted only once toward your defect rate.  So even if one buyer decides to leave neutral/neg FB, low DSRs and a full refund is made, this should only count as 1 "defective" transaction. 

I'm wondering if it may be that your TRS discount was affected by your volume or dollar amount of sales dropping below the minimum?  I'm not disagreeing that the defect system is hard on sellers, but have you double-checked the figures on your Dashboard to see exactly which parameter is the cause?  If it turns out that you didn't have defective transactions with 5 different buyers, I would contact eBay CS and see if you can get it sorted out (if you can put up with the often lengthy phone wait).

Giving buyers an instant refund is the right thing to do if someone is dissatisfied (for whatever reason, whether real or perceived), but it's not a good idea to be defensive about such occurrences.  It's simply impossible to make everybody happy all of the time.  

Unfortunately, I agree that eBay doesn't make it easy for us sellers to refund immediately and cheerfully without any consequences.  So my approach is to refund cheerfully and immediately and try to make the buyer as happy as possible, even if that means making a grovelling apology with the utmost courtesy that I know isn't really warranted.  My 20% discount is more important to me.

I also want to add that, as upset as you may be with a buyer who appears to be wrong, it's not a good idea to state "Vindictive buyer" in your open FB responses -- other buyers will see that and it won't serve your best interests as a seller. 

Overall, I agree that selling here is getting more and more precarious for smaller (what I call "boutique") sellers.  I too have been getting more business through my own website than through eBay lately.  Is it short-sighted or stupid of eBay to alienate its original seller base?  Who really knows?  They may come to rue the day they chased many millions of small sellers away if their big commercial sellers decide to jump ship for their own selling platforms. 

As a miniscule participant on this enormous site, I will simply hang on as long as long as possible and do what is necessary to maintain my ability to sell.  It usually takes me several weeks to adjust to each successive update, and I've (barely) managed so far.  Like most sellers, it's the next Seller Update I always fear. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

oops...I imagine when you were referring to 20% you were referring to loss of a TRS discount. Rose knew what you meant...I'm a bit slower today. (no comments necessary lol)

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Off-topic. pj, you are at 2998 FB, 2 more for 3000!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

1 more now!

When I started selling I don't think that I could ever imagine reaching 3000 and I definitely can't imagine reaching 10,000 like some seller have. It seems that feedback comes much slower and from fewer buyers these days.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply