Email from Canada Post-- flat rate boxes

For those of you who find these useful:

Stock up on supplies. Get stamps, prepaid envelopes, and now, order flat rate boxes online.

From today's message about shipping.

Canada Post is also reaching out and offering to help B&M stores to set up online selling.  Not sure they would be a good partner -- not many employees there have ever run a business.

•  

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It seems that you have to order by the box pack of 12 making it a $200+ purchase for the smallest size! And $400+ for medium and $600+ for large!

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Which makes the small boxes $16.66 each.

How long would it take a given seller  (you?  me?  mrnobody?)  to use up 12 boxes?

And those boxes can go straight into a mailbox, no need to visit the PO.

It's an upfront cost, but could be worthwhile for some sellers.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Actual price is $17.99 for one small box and must be ordered in multiples of 12 for $215.88. Medium and large boxes at higher prices.  The quantity makes sense for a small business who ships a lot and can use the sizes offered. Just not for a small seller occasionally needing some. I was just surprised initially by the minimum quantity.  I am/was a small small seller. I would only need the occasional one if ever now.

Lol. I still have three of the original eBay flat rate boxes from years ago. I had 6 and managed to use up three over 4-5 years when they were valid. Those boxes like these were only useful when filled to maximum weight and to a distant destination. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I've used them from time to time, when they were only available in on PO in Victoria.

Mostly I prefer to use stamps. Our house overflows with stamps.

At a guess, the minimum order is also the price point at which Canada Post covers its costs, and perhaps makes a little money.

Just what all us seller try to do, eh?

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I keep 1 or 2 of the smalls on hand for the rare occasion it saves me money. I am centrally located so its only for things like Nunavut or the Maritimes. Its nice to have the option though, I always thought it was odd you couldn't order them online.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Canada Post! Last time I was actually in a real Canada Post Office - they had a one foot square foot bag of  peanuts for sale for $8:00.  I can go to my local box and packaging store and buy a bag that is 5 feet high and about 2.5 in diameter for $24.00.

Canada Post.........................................................

Horse goes into a bar and asks for a beer. The bartender brings him his beer and says: "why the long face."

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 7 of 7
latest reply