Enrolled in MP, How long until ebay activates it?

byto253
Community Member

I was surprised after registering for MP when I got the note below that it would be so long to go into effect.   Any feedback on how long it takes to get the notice that activation will be in two weeks?

"Thank you for your interest in managed payments. We have received your information. We'll send you a notification two weeks before your account is activated for managed payments, and again two business days before activation. We will also send a confirmation notice after activation is complete.

You may receive a separate message to add or verify additional information. All of the information shared during and after registration allows us to send your payouts and comply with global regulations, which helps keep eBay a trusted marketplace."

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

I signed up first week of April. My emails were same day.

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Thanks, that is interesting.   Mine are still in the works but I am signed up for US$ deposits so there may be some things to still work out.  I would rather it takes a bit of time and gets done correctly.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@byto253 wrote:

...  Mine are still in the works but I am signed up for US$ deposits so there may be some things to still work out. ...

That would probably be the reason for delay. I take Canadian deposits for MP.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I finally decided to register... but they are asking for passport number or driver's licence.... I don't have either. Now what?

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Let Them Know.......

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

I would call, I am sure you are not the only one.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

There is no option to let them know - don't want to waste time calling. I just added 000000 and moved on.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I finally decided to register... but they are asking for passport number or driver's licence.... I don't have either. Now what?

If you don't have either of those I think you can use your SIN.

It's been almost a year since I have registered, I don't recall the details but I was offered a bunch of different ways to verify my identity.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I don't want to give my SIN. No way I am trusting them with that info. I ticked off the box "I don't want to provide at this time" or something like it.

At the question about driving licence or passport, there was no way to get past it. It was a drop down menu where I had to choose one or the other. I had to enter something to finish the registration. Now that I think about it though, I should have tried entering "don't have either". Who knows, it might have worked to get past it... oh well, it's too late now. I just entered a bunch of 0. They will probably get back to me if it doesn't work or if they have questions.

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Did an online chat with an agent yesterday as I registerd on May 8 and no word yet.  The indicated:

"Right now at this time we don't have a specific timeframe to provide as the change date is different for every seller."

So just waiting it out.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

I'm also waiting it out. Didn't get news from eBay since I registered, although it was just a few days ago. Maybe because I'm selling on .com too?

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I'm also waiting it out. Didn't get news from eBay since I registered, although it was just a few days ago. Maybe because I'm selling on .com too?

Based on reports of others experiences it seems the registration process varies considerably.

When I finally registered they must have had my account already activated behind the curtains because within seconds of submitting the final bit of info all of my listings were activated, and MP processed the first sale minutes later.

At the time I was totally taken aback by the scant bit of information required on that day, the only new info MP asked for was date of birth and the bank account transit number. Their system seemed to be satisfied at first, a handfull of DOTca transactions were processing fine, but the first DOTcom transaction caused MP to request my passport or driver's license number. The message stated that info was necessary because it was an international transaction, luckily I had a number to give them to get the hold removed on DOTcom funds. 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Did you also register for payout in US$?    Please post up when you hear anything and I will do the same.  It has only been a week for me but seems longer.  Between that and the economy shipping time glitch on .com I am not very motivated right now.  

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

No, just payouts in C$. But I'll come back here if I have news.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

They asked me last summer (2020) to please sign up. I waited until the deadline which I think was in the fall. Nothing happened. I got an email a week or two ago asking if I’d like US funds or CAD. I replied a few days ago and still haven’t heard anything. There was no place to add my USD bank account or any other info. I rereplied today just in case it hadn’t gone through the first time. I’m not all that excited about MP so I don’t mind but it is obviously varying between sellers quite a bit.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Thanks for the feedback, that is a crazy long lag and makes it hard to plan.  I have a lot of items to list and was  planning on .com listings with payouts to my US$ bank account, but am now in limbo.   The utility of US$ in paypal is to limited but in a regular account is very useful.  

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I go the activiation email today, so registered on May 8th, this email on May 24th, with activation to go into effect May 31-June 1.    It would have been nice to have a heads up that it could take a while, as I have been reading about some widely varying experiences.  Wish I could sell with no delivery requirements. 

I opted for a US$ account, so that is one thing out of the way,  next is to work around the glitch where the  economy shipping time to buyers is stated as 5 to 11 business days instead of  the 11 to 23 days it is supposed to be.    For now I will work on listing my higher value items that tracking makes sense for and hope that the glitch is worked out in June so I can list the lower value items to. 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

How has this gone for you lady stark?

You should check as this violates the Ontario Human Rights Code, not to mention the SS # which I see they have now made optional.

The link is to licenses but a passport applies for similar reasons: http://www.ohrc.on.ca/en/frequently-asked-questions/can-employer-ask-driver%E2%80%99s-licence-when-i...

I'm confused by this as well as we have valid bank accounts and our banking institution would already have checked this in person.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

I got a message from eBay on May 24 telling me "Your activiation date for Managed Payments is approaching". Then on May 27, another message telling me my account would be activated on May 31st. And then today saying I was "all set". I just verified one of my listings, and I am indeed on MP as of today. So they did not ask me for more info on a driving licence or passport number.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply