FedEx Ground vs CP expedited

So i know eBay added fedex to shipping options some time ago but it's my first time having it as an option. I always used CP and never used any other company. Fedex being cheaper, i'm considering using it. Any difference? I guess i need to find a fedex office to ship too?

My packaged is very small (19x13x2cm). Is it as safe and trustable as CP?

Any suggestions

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fedex is a major shipping company. You should have no issues in terms of reliability. The big problem with Fedex for some sellers would be accessibility since they may not have a drop spot anywhere as close as your local Canada Post mailbox or post office. The other issue from the buyer's end is that if they are not home and they have to pick up the package, they might be unhappy that it was shipped Fedex if the pickup location is not accessible to them. 

If you create a Canada Post Small Business account, the rates are sometimes better than what eBay quotes you for. Another option is Chit Chats. They ship via Canada Post but offer cheaper rates because they handle the shipment from your city to the closest Chit Chats location to the buyer's city. Then they pass it off to Canada Post who deliver it like any regular Canada Post parcel. It takes longer than a standard Canada Post parcel, usually about 1-2 weeks. I wouldn't use it if the buyer paid for regular parcel or expedited at standard rates, but it is a good option when a buyer selects economy shipping and you want the security of tracking. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Fedex is a major shipping company. You should have no issues in terms of reliability. The big problem with Fedex for some sellers would be accessibility since they may not have a drop spot anywhere as close as your local Canada Post mailbox or post office. The other issue from the buyer's end is that if they are not home and they have to pick up the package, they might be unhappy that it was shipped Fedex if the pickup location is not accessible to them. 

If you create a Canada Post Small Business account, the rates are sometimes better than what eBay quotes you for. Another option is Chit Chats. They ship via Canada Post but offer cheaper rates because they handle the shipment from your city to the closest Chit Chats location to the buyer's city. Then they pass it off to Canada Post who deliver it like any regular Canada Post parcel. It takes longer than a standard Canada Post parcel, usually about 1-2 weeks. I wouldn't use it if the buyer paid for regular parcel or expedited at standard rates, but it is a good option when a buyer selects economy shipping and you want the security of tracking. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Makes sense. I'll stick to CP i realised i need to go way more far to drop at a fedex office. Not worth saving $1.00 on the label

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@ilikehockeyjerseys wrote:

@rocketscollectibles 

@ilikehockeyjerseys 

According to Fedex website Ground shipment pickups are 4.00 plus 1.00 per additional piece. No idea how billing works. Must be to account. Fedex air can be dropped off at a variety of storefronts like Staples. Depends on where you are located for convenience. UPS pickups are free. In both situations it is extremely important to be home whenever you are expecting a driver pick up.

-Lotz

A $4 charge per package applies when you request a FedEx Express Pickup, including requests made through fedex.com and FedEx Customer Service. This charge does not apply if you have a regular scheduled pickup or drop off your package at a FedEx location.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

FedEx is not inaccessible, it just isn't as accessible as Canada Post. That's more what I am getting at. Most people in urban areas have a red Canada Post box within minutes of their location. Even if a FedEx drop spot isn't far away, the extra time and effort spent won't be worth it unless the savings are dramatic. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

ibccshop
Community Member

If you are shipping with FedEx Express (to the U.S. I know for sure). FedEx can actually come to your location at a time that is convient for you (you usually have to give them a two or three hour window of when you would like your package picked up), and depending on what time of the day you call for your scheduled pick-up they can actually pick it up same day. If shipping using FedEx Ground it is can be a bit longer for the pick-up (an additional business day at most I've found).

I'm in a major city, so I'm not sure if they offer the same pick-up services in rural areas.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply