Followup business question

I recently sold a number of books to a buyer, and after receiving some positive feedback they provided me a list of additional books they are looking to buy if I happen to come across them.

I'm not one to turn down the possibility for repeat business, but I'm uncertain how to proceed at this point. The items they are looking for are things I have never listed on eBay, but I'm aware that making arrangements to sell items listed on eBay outside of the website is prohibited. Would I be okay to arrange for further contact outside of the site, or are any expressed arrangements made through eBay require fulfillment on the website? Again I certainly want the additional business, but the last thing I want to do is get the customer or myself in trouble.

Thanks for the help!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Take the items on the list (that you have and wish to sell) and create a new listing that features them as a bundle, at the price you desire, with the offer option turned on.  Then send that listing link to the buyer.

-..-

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It's called a want list.

If you don't have the books, it's nice but not particularly useful.

If you come across the books, you can email the customer ( the email address is on the Paypal reciept under Refund) (but don't refund!) and ask if they are still interested.

Then if you want to use eBay to list that's fine. Make the listing as usual but use the customer's name as the title, because that way no one else will ever see it.

Or just send a Paypal invoice to your customer.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

A buyer once let me know that if I found certain books, that I should let them know.

My response was that  it would be difficult for me to remember what they wanted

and ....... that it would be easier for them to view what my new listings were.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @redterror117 - this is a good question!

We prohibit you from arranging an 'off-site' sale through eBay - so please don't do that. 🙂

Instead, what you could do is along the lines of @ypdc_dennis' suggestion. If you find the books the member is looking for, list them for sale on eBay. I prefer to list them as usual (regular title, detail and description), make the purchase price unreasonably high and add the 'Best Offer' option.

You could then send the item number or a link to the listing via eBay message and let them know the price you're willing to sell them for. Have the member make an offer for that amount and you're home free!   

You can do it the way Dennis suggests too (with the member's id in the title), there's just no guarantee that someone won't come through and buy it. While it's happened only a handful of times in my tenure here (maybe 5 times in 6 years), I have seen it happen and it creates a nasty experience for everyone involved. 

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

What I do is:
-create an item with part of the buyers id in it titled "Special lot for XXXXX"
-the item description and pictures are generic (I use the back of a stamp for the picture and wording like stamps as discussed)
-the item description also says if you aren't XXXX please check out my other items in my store (Cant resist a marketing opportunity)

I've never had anyone unintended buy it out, because they can't they have no idea what it is. Actually it would be great if they did as I could send anything I wanted!

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

I just use the customer's ID, because there are some sketchey members who look for titles with "special" "private" or similar terms in case they can scoop a bargain.

Today I am cynical.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Yep that's why I put in the "marketing" in the description, because I've noticed the "special lots" gets lots of views....

And if a snoop actually buys it it is great for me because as I mentioned above, there is nothing in the description that identifies anything to the buyer....and I could send along whatever I like....

I don't like to include the whole ID because that then identifies the buyer's id to all, until they buy.
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Why mess around with personal details? I just list as normal and put the price at $999 OBO and message them what to offer. Is there a reason not to do this? Listing caps?

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Listing caps would really only affect a newbie.

Oldtimers like ricarmic and I have such high value allowances, that they don't really exist.

I can see how any of the three suggestions would work just fine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUUhDoCx8zc

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

The only reason I wouldn't do the $999 OBO type option is that at least in my category, there is an extremely wide variety of (sometimes lack of) skills in terms of using eBay.

If I give them the link to the item, exactly as they have to buy it, I don't have to worry about whether or not they know how to do a best offer (I for certain have had a number of buyers that have no idea how to do a best offer)....and it is the normal simple purchase process for them, assuming they can find the item....
Message 11 of 11
latest reply