Forced fee for felines?

In the terms of sale on an item I was thinking of buying:

"$1.00 handling added for Domestic,
even if it is FREE Shipping
a $1.00 will be added.
Proceeds go towards Feline Rescue!"

I thought ebay allowed buyers to elect their own charitable giving options at checkout? I already give to a bunch of other ones! I should trust her saying that's where it's going?

So I guess my question is, is this allowed?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Forced fee for felines?

Ebay doesn't exactly allow buyers to choose to whom to give a charitable donation: ebay picks a charitable organization and a buyer is allowed to choose whether or not to donate to it at checkout.

As to this scenario that you've outlined, uh, free shipping is free shipping, adding a handling means it's not free shipping but the seller may do whatever he or she likes with the monies they assign for shipping and/or handling. There are probably tax implications for this kind of thing, to solicit donations on behalf of others and then submit them under your own name. I'm not a tax lawyer so I can't tell you what they might be but it wouldn't be on your head as the buyer, it's the seller that might get into trouble for it.

As to whether the solicitation is legit? Probably well-intentioned is as far as I'd go. Also, I'm not sure sellers are allowed by ebay to solicit for charitable organizations the way this is worded. It might need to be tweaked to be allowed but, again, that is the seller's problem and not yours. Like a change in the wording to say, 'A portion from the proceeds of this sale will be donated to wherever' but there are probably special rules somewhere on ebay for that as there is a specific section for charities which this may or may not qualify for.

It's entirely up to you as to whether you want to give your money to the seller in exchange for whatever it is that they're selling. They're selling something here, right? It's not just a solicitation for charity?

Perhaps another ebay member can give you better advice than I. Wait and see who else decides to answer before making any sudden decisions. If you're truly concerned, go to the listing and Report it at right, about halfway down the page, and let ebay decide what to do with that information. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Forced fee for felines?

The deal with eBay vetting charities is that eBay sends the money directly to the charity. Which actually exists and probably has a reasonably good track record.

Any others ? The seller can do what she wants with the money.

But basically Free Shipping means that all the costs of shipping and handling (or postage and packaging as it is more accurately called on the UK site), are included in the asking price.

So no, she can't do that. You are not required to pay that. And she can, and probably should, be Reported to eBay for the attempt.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Forced fee for felines?

The seller probably has good intentions but is going about this the wrong way. There are guidelines to follow. eBay isn't the Wild West. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Forced fee for felines?

mjwl2006 and femmefan1946, Thank you both so much for your genuinely thoughtful answers. They've been really helpful to me, thank you.

I hesitate to act on reporting anyone whose heart is in the right place, or which seems to be, anyway. She's been an ebay member since 1998. A long time.

mjwl2006, to answer your earlier question, she is indeed selling an item, an antique wool blanket. Wasn't trying to be mysterious there, I should've been clearer so you wouldn't have to wonder!

I was just wondering myself HOW she's able to pull it off. Adding cost to a set price item that is listed with free shipping? 'Funny-peculiar' was all I could think. Next I thought of asking you all 🙂

I don't want to harm her, or her possible charitable organization. Is there a polite way to draw her attention to the irregularity in her terms of sale?
I don't mind singed eyebrows, but neither do I want to be seen as some vigilante buyer harassing a fellow member.

After hearing your thoughts about this, I think I'll pass on making any purchase with her due to the anomaly in her terms. I don't want to seem petty by contacting her to tell her why, because that's a bit mean, even for me. 😛

Thank you both for considering my original question and offering your thoughts on the matter. I feel better making my decision with your input to help me. Thank you.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Forced fee for felines?

I do think you should contact her and explain why her Terms of Sale are not 'eBay legal'.

She may be losing more customers than just you with this.

I probably was a little grumpy about charity auctions. I am a nasty cynical old lady. Unfortunately, Boards like these tend to show the problems rather than the nicer side of transactions.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Forced fee for felines?

I think the seller has good intentions but I think her terms are off. As a potential buyer, you might be doing her the favour of letting her know that, politely, she probably needs to rework her listing(s) to say something more general so that she can still support her cause* and let buyers know she does but still fall within the proper guidelines here on ebay and for the taxman.

Don't feel badly about butting in to do that, either. If you only knew on average how many truly rude, unsolicited messages that I receive each year from other, random members who don't simply do not like the look of my face, you wouldn't worry overmuch about sending a lovely, polite message to another member even if the content is one that might be touchy. 

*Is Feline Rescue a thing? I mean, I know it's a thing but is it a charitable organization or is she a kind-hearted cat lady feeding neighbourhood strays from the backdoor and calling it rescue? 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Forced fee for felines?

random members who don't simply do not like the look of my face,

That's one reason why I use the portrait of Violet Carson/ Ena Sharples for my avatar.

Would you argue with that face?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ena_Sharples

Message 8 of 8
latest reply