Getting bad advice from Customer Service

n_lit45
Community Member

I am a seller who recently had a dispute with my buyer.

After item was bought by her, the buyer asked be for a partial refund for shipping.

I tried to accommodate but since it was under $6 I apologized that I couldn't make it work.  The money was also being asked to be emailed to a Hong Kong bank account (even though the purchase was in Canada) through Paypal and as I don't do international transactions I did not feel comfortable.

The buyer then contacted me 18 days after the transaction was complete.  She had received the coat in Canada saying that she had the item shipped to Hong Kong on her own and once there in Hong Kong she saw "damage" - some pilling on the back of a label and lint in the pocket.  She demanded 25% back or would contact eBay.

I wrote customer service myself and asked what to do.  They told me to file an extortion case and block the buyer.  There is a transcript of this advice.

I filed a case but could not block the buyer.  I engaged with the buyer politely and tried to reason with her, and explain why I couldn't send her 25% percent of the costs back.  She then insisted on a full refund.  

I contacted Customer Service again for advice and that agent assured me not to worry.  They said that they had read my case and saw that  I had tried to work with her.  They told me to escalate the case on Dec. 26th (which was the earliest they said I could).  They assured me arbitration was fair and in my case he told me not to worry.   This is all in a transcript.

In the middle of the night on Dec. 25th (while I slept) eBay sent me an email that I had not responded to the buyer's request for a refund and I was in jeopardy of losing, if it went to arbitration.  6 hours after that email I woke up (the 25th) to news that it had been decided in her favor.  She gets a full refund from me ($315) and gets to keep the coat.  The ruling sited that I had said the coat was in "excellent used condition" AND that I had not responded to buyer.   I have the transcripts from the customer service and my record that I tried to work it out with her.  I followed the advice of the customer service (and have all of their transcripts) and believed them when they said not to worry.  Is there anything I can do?  Especially since eBay said I hadn't responded to the buyer's request but yet I had so many emails where I had...  It feels like they didn't look at the bigger picture of the case and and that customer service gave me all of the wrong advice.  Please help.  It's a terrible way to wake up on Christmas!

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Getting bad advice from Customer Service

You sold a coat ($315) to an overseas buyer.

The buyer demanded a $6 partial refund on shipping.

You refused and shipped*.

She received the coat in Canada.

She sent the coat on to Hong Kong.

She claimed there was damage and demanded a 25% discount.

Or she would go to eBay.

Customer Service told you to file an extortion (Feedback Extortion?) case.

Which you did.

Although you Blocked the buyer, she could still send you Messages.

You were advised by Customer Service that you should escalate on Dec 26.

Apparently she had also filed a Not As Described case. What was the date on that and how did you respond to it?

On Dec 25, eBay reminded you that you had not responded to her Dispute.

Later on Dec 25, eBay closed her case in her favour, and refunded her the entire amount.

So what I see is that you were dealing with Customer Service, without realizing that the Not As Described dispute she had opened was much more important.

I would as soon as possible, contact Customer Service  (although the Philippine office is probably the only one open they are now into Boxing Day)  and appeal through them the Dispute.

Ask for a supervisor.

Show them the messages and CS discussion.

I'm glad you were dealing with CS through chat (?) and were able to capture the advice.

The blue highlights above are part of your appeal.

The coat was re-shipped after delivery in Canada. This normally will end the Money Back Guarantee.

And the threat -- although unless she mentioned feedback this is a weak defence.

*Hindsight is 20/20, but the best answer to this sort of demand is an offer to cancel the entire transaction, because, as you have learned, it will not get better.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply