Good News - Monthly Allotment Increased!

It doesn't look as though anyone has posted this yet so, for those of you who have not yet seen the announcement -- 

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2015/10/05/7721/

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

@jt-libra wrote:

It doesn't look as though anyone has posted this yet so, for those of you who have not yet seen the announcement -- 

http://announcements.ebay.ca/2015/10/05/7721/

Got an email about that today. Would be great news if anythingwas selling. Went through the entire weekend without so much as an offer, even a bottom feeding lowball offer, lol...

As nice as it is for EBay to be increasing our listings it would be much better if they could focus on why there are no buyers here anymore for a great many of us. There is no shortage of people with money to spend online as I see tons of action in online auction sales I frequent, there's just nobody buying that stuff here. The really interesting thing is that the prices are going up in that action while the prices have plummetted here making one think that the high number of buyers is driving the prices up while here, in Ebay, the dwindling number of buyers has destroyed the market...

Cheers,,

thD

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

Would be great news if anythingwas selling.

That's true, of course.  I remember a few years ago, free listings were not as important to me because my sell-through rate was pretty good and listing fees were incidental.

Now I really appreciate any promotion and free listings precisely because I have so few sales these days and I hate to devote any of my minimal earnings to fees.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I notice that the 50 start October 15th.  I wonder if this means any unused ones from the 1st will disappear?

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Was glad to see the increase also as like many on this board my sell through rate is  terrible & I simply cannot afford to continue to sell here without free promotions. Yes I know if you cannot afford a 30 cent listing fee then maybe you should not be here. But when you list 500 items & sell 3 it just  doesn't cash flow. I too like many I see post here am discouraged with eBay's attitude towards smaller sellers. I am sure it is hard to be fair to all but in the olden days it was the smaller sellers who made eBay a unique & interesting marketplace not the Chinese sellers or the big box stores. Collectors loved ( I am one) eBay because you could find things on here you could not find elsewhere. I find that I do not find as many items here as I used to & wonder if that is because many small sellers have moved on to friendlier places.  I am going to try to continue on till the new year & maybe things will improve. One can always hope!

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

If I'm not mistaken, there is nothing in that announcement for me except a kick in the pants.

I get 500 free* buy-it-nows and 100 free* auctions with my yearly-contract Premium Store Subscription already since I sell in Collectibles. So......

*Cost of 10 cents a piece with an annual subscription, regardless of whether you list 499 or 501. It only depends whether you want to look at that fee under Insertion Fee or Store Subscription. 

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

This is good news for sure for many of us (sorry I also posted about this today).  I suppose if I were being cynical, I'd say that eBay slapped us on one side of the face and then stroked us sweetly on the other.  

Of course I imagine U.S. sellers will be ecstatic, two important gifts from eBay in one month! 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

You would be better off with a basic store, list on .com and .ca and save the higher store fees. List more when they have specials. You get exactly the same benefits and discounts, etc

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

When the supply is greater than the demand, prices go down.

We all know  that many of the sellers that have left eBay were also its  buyers.  Add to it a bad search engine, bad publicity and lots of people don't want to buy from eBay anymore.

eBay is desperate, they need to show lots of listings to cover up its decline.  They have to look good to Wall Street and for their shareholders and that is why they are giving us all these free listings.  The truth is, now they are doing even more black outs to keep their expenses down.  But then what do we expect for nothing?

As tempting as it is, we got to stop listing more items.  We are increasing the supply but the demand stays the same, so prices are crashing.  It started at the end of 2014 and has been steadily declining.  

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

We all know  that many of the sellers that have left eBay were also its  buyers.  Add to it a bad search engine, bad publicity and lots of people don't want to buy from eBay anymore.

eBay is desperate, they need to show lots of listings to cover up its decline.  They have to look good to Wall Street and for their shareholders and that is why they are giving us all these free listings.  The truth is, now they are doing even more black outs to keep their expenses down.  But then what do we expect for nothing?

As tempting as it is, we got to stop listing more items.  We are increasing the supply but the demand stays the same, so prices are crashing.  It started at the end of 2014 and has been steadily declining.  

It's hard not to agree with most of this.  I would add to your list: bad site management/site design and bad policy decisions.  I'm entering my 15th year here, and it certainly isn't the great place to sell that it once was. 

I would think many sellers are now experiencing a huge decline in sell-through rate, and I agree with you that it seems to have started seriously in early 2015.  My sell-through rate this year has dropped to close to 3%, although on another site on which I sell, it's nearly 10% (and I have far fewer items listed!).  What exactly happened on eBay this year, I can only guess -- perhaps the cumulative effect of "all of the above" finally taking hold?  Nonetheless, when it gets to the point where one has to list 500 items to sell 10 in a month, you are probably right that adding more fuel to the fire is not going to solve the problem.  

Yet it's hard to change sellers' attitude towards promos when they think that listing more for free will necessarily be a better thing.  I think that particular ball is in eBay's court.  In my opinion eBay has shot itself in the foot with ill-conceived ideas and just plain blunders over the past 3 years or so, and has as a result lost its "head of the class" status in the world of online selling venues. 

It seems ironic to me now that eBay CEOs are trying to woo back their core of traditional, smaller independent sellers.  Three years ago, when the debacle for smaller sellers began, I recall saying over and over that eBay would rue the day it turned its back on its original cadre of sellers.  These are the people who offer interesting items, who know how to make customers happy (and coming back) and who would never leave if eBay would simply make this venue a "comfortable" place for them to run their businesses.  Such short-sightedness on eBay's part, because now legions of those sellers have either gone elsewhere or are spreading their efforts around to hedge their bets.  

By the way, I've heard people mentioning "black-outs" before, but I've never actually seen anyone describe precisely what that means.  I'm not even sure whether it's legend or fact.  Can you elaborate? 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't see any "increase" as they look the same for the last 6 months!  I would think they would add another 100 to 500 for fixed priced auction and another 100 to 100 for auction-style!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

I notice that the 50 start October 15th.  I wonder if this means any unused ones from the 1st will disappear?

Yes.

Because eBay has gotten around to adjusting the expiry date of the monthly 20/20 to October 14.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

By the way, I've heard people mentioning "black-outs" before, but I've never actually seen anyone describe precisely what that means.  I'm not even sure whether it's legend or fact.  Can you elaborate? 

"Black outs" is when your listing is not being shown at all.  You still see them but they are not visible elsewhere.  eBay controls what part of the world sees them, at what time frames or not at all.  I ship worldwide, yet my user name came up as "not valid" when I tried to access my listings in Europe on a relative's computer.  Also, I had 15% off and 25% off sales for a couple days each and received only three small sales in the four days.  

My last sale took place 3 days and 19 1/2 hours ago and during that time my 1300 listings did not attract a single sale out of the billions of buyers on this Earth.   Not likely, only if its blacked out.

Once you have signed in to  your eBay on any computer, that computer will always show all your listings, no matter where you are.  But most of the time, it is only YOU that see them.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

"Black outs" is when your listing is not being shown at all.  You still see them but they are not visible elsewhere.  eBay controls what part of the world sees them, at what time frames or not at all.  I ship worldwide, yet my user name came up as "not valid" when I tried to access my listings in Europe on a relative's computer.  Also, I had 15% off and 25% off sales for a couple days each and received only three small sales in the four days.  

My last sale took place 3 days and 19 1/2 hours ago and during that time my 1300 listings did not attract a single sale out of the billions of buyers on this Earth.   Not likely, only if its blacked out.

Once you have signed in to  your eBay on any computer, that computer will always show all your listings, no matter where you are.  But most of the time, it is only YOU that see them.

Aha, thank you.  This would explain a great deal of what I've been seeing particularly over the past year.  It's both worrying and shocking that eBay would "hide" certain listings at certain times. 

I occasionally buy raw materials and supplies on eBay (using another ID).  I have wondered why it was that items and sellers I knew for certain existed were not showing up when I did obvious keyword searches.  In fact, these were items that used to show up in such searches a couple of years ago -- I know this because I've been buying from the same sellers for quite a long time. 

On one occasion for example, I was trying to find a seller from whom I'd purchased a few items a couple of months earlier.  I knew he must still have the same items listed, since he'd been around on eBay for years.  Yet, doing a specific keyword search for the items turned up none of this seller's listings!  I had to actually go back to my previous purchase to locate the seller again.  

I wonder if I could see this effect on my own listings by looking using my alternate eBay ID?  

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

No, you won't.  Once you have logged in on a computer, eBay will always recognize it as you, regardless of the user name.  I have tried it with my alternate user name and also on other computers.  Every year we go to Europe and take my computer.  It recognizes me as soon as I turn on the computer, regardless of what country I am in.  If I sign in once to My eBay on a friend's computer, its the same thing.  It will always recognize me on that computer.

Years ago it was different.  eBay knew you by your internet provider number.  I remember being in Mexico and every time I tried to list something, I would get a call from eBay to verify that it was me using another provider.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply