HELP: Why do I have to add a credit card only payment option to cancel an order?

I need to cancel a buyers order...

I see it already deposited my sold listing funds into my bank account before I even created a shipping label and shipped it!? It just sold yesterday evening and I have a 1-3 day handling time on my listings. It's asking for a payment option in order to complete the cancellation and the only payment option is credit card, and I do not want to use a credit card, only bank funds... Better yet, eBay held funds for this very reason...

I already have my bank and credit card info saved in my account information, so why is it asking me to enter it again? I remember canceling orders being easy and quick and just used the buyers payment held funds and it was immediate. I just noticed my payout schedule has been changed to daily and I just swiched it back to weekly...

More so, I've noticed I'm getting emails for shipping label fees being charged to and to be taken out of my bank account, that are not actually being deducted from my bank account when I look at my bank statement a week later, it's just store subscription fees and payouts...

I've never got emails for that before, which is supper confusing and concerning. Just emails for payouts and the eBay store subscription fee.

I'm always confused when it comes to the financial summary page of money transactions, when it shows shipping labels and it's a red deducted font, I always think it's deducting it from me later? Is it not already deducted from the listing sold held fees immediatley?

Also, I notice when I use calculated shipping and I create the shipping label with the original listing and correct shipping weight and dimensions, the buyer paid shipping fee is way more than the prices listed to create a shipping label, about 7-16 $ difference. What's going on their? I'm nice and refund a shipping discount if they paid more.

Thank you for your time and help, I greatly appreciate it.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HELP: Why do I have to add a credit card only payment option to cancel an order?

already deposited my sold listing funds into my bank account

The default for transfers is weekly on Tuesdays.

Almost too efficient this time.

We can change that to daily (useful for busy sellers) or monthly (useful for occasional sellers with low value listings).

I already have my bank and credit card info saved in my account information, so why is it asking me to enter it again?

At a guess, to confirm that you are the person you say you are?

Financial institutions are getting a lot tighter about IDs generally.

Is it not already deducted from the listing sold held fees immediatley?

As I understand it, FVF, including PL fees and charges on shipping,  are deducted before we are creditted with our customer payments.

But buying labels is a different action and could happen later, I suppose. And Store subscriptions are a monthly charge unrelated to actual sales.

I agree that the billing is confusing.

...calculated shipping and I create the shipping label with the original listing and correct shipping weight and dimensions, the buyer paid shipping fee is way more than the prices listed to create a shipping label...

We get discounts from Canada Post because eBay has negotiated a  deal where we are getting Level 4 (?) prices instead of counter rates.

But some of us don't use eBay labels.

• I use postage stamps which I purchase at a heavy discount.
  • Some sellers have accounts with other shippers which give them discounts or perks.
  • Some ship through forwarders like chitchat who carry packages across the border and use the cheaper USPS.

Showing the same price from every seller makes for a slightly more even playing field.

While you can make partial refunds, remember your costs of shipping are not just postage, but also packaging, fuel, labour, insurance. Even sellers who forage and recycle packaging materials are spending time to do that . In BC  the minimum wage is now 28c a minute.

You can also use Flat Rate Shipping, but when you must use Parcel services, that's not a good idea.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

If the buyer had already paid (and I'm assuming they did because you said funds were deposited) then it wouldn't be a cancellation but you would be refunding. If you try refund instead does it still ask for a credit card? You should already have a bank account set up with managed payments and if you don't have funds processing they take from the bank account. You would choose cancellation if buyer hadn't paid but if paid already you would have to refund.

"More so, I've noticed I'm getting emails for shipping label fees being charged to and to be taken out of my bank account, that are not actually being deducted from my bank account when I look at my bank statement a week later, it's just store subscription fees and payouts..."

Unfortunately eBay labels take a few days to process so they don't get deducted from the funds before they are processed. I've received those emails a few times myself, saying the funds would be taken from bank in a few days but I have always had another sale/transaction (more funds being processed back in) so the label gets deducted from that instead. That's probably what happened in your case. They send the email warning funds will be taken but they allow some time for funds to be replenished before they actually take it. 

Myself I always keep a running (hand written) page always going with all items and check off both when the payment goes through AND when the label amount is processed. A pain I know but since the label amounts are immediate it is tricky to keep tabs on.

"Also, I notice when I use calculated shipping and I create the shipping label with the original listing and correct shipping weight and dimensions, the buyer paid shipping fee is way more than the prices listed to create a shipping label, about 7-16 $ difference. What's going on their? I'm nice and refund a shipping discount if they paid more."

Calculated rates always show the Counter rates (highest amount) and with the discount/deals going on right now the amount you are paying is considerably less. That is generous of you to refund the difference. The only way around it would be to have flat rate amount but of course there is a large difference in pricing from one province to another (assuming you are using tracked service).

Hope that helps answer some of your questions. Would be nice if the label payment came out immediately from processed funds and calculated rates took into account any current deals but sadly they don't (at least not yet...trying to be hopeful).

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

already deposited my sold listing funds into my bank account

The default for transfers is weekly on Tuesdays.

Almost too efficient this time.

We can change that to daily (useful for busy sellers) or monthly (useful for occasional sellers with low value listings).

I already have my bank and credit card info saved in my account information, so why is it asking me to enter it again?

At a guess, to confirm that you are the person you say you are?

Financial institutions are getting a lot tighter about IDs generally.

Is it not already deducted from the listing sold held fees immediatley?

As I understand it, FVF, including PL fees and charges on shipping,  are deducted before we are creditted with our customer payments.

But buying labels is a different action and could happen later, I suppose. And Store subscriptions are a monthly charge unrelated to actual sales.

I agree that the billing is confusing.

...calculated shipping and I create the shipping label with the original listing and correct shipping weight and dimensions, the buyer paid shipping fee is way more than the prices listed to create a shipping label...

We get discounts from Canada Post because eBay has negotiated a  deal where we are getting Level 4 (?) prices instead of counter rates.

But some of us don't use eBay labels.

• I use postage stamps which I purchase at a heavy discount.
  • Some sellers have accounts with other shippers which give them discounts or perks.
  • Some ship through forwarders like chitchat who carry packages across the border and use the cheaper USPS.

Showing the same price from every seller makes for a slightly more even playing field.

While you can make partial refunds, remember your costs of shipping are not just postage, but also packaging, fuel, labour, insurance. Even sellers who forage and recycle packaging materials are spending time to do that . In BC  the minimum wage is now 28c a minute.

You can also use Flat Rate Shipping, but when you must use Parcel services, that's not a good idea.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Ok, the differance between refund and cancel makes more sense now. When I select refund it still asks for me to put in card information as a payment otopn since I have no funds in reserve. I just don't understand why I have to enter all my information when it is already saved in my account information? 

Thank you for your help.

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I thought about daily schedule deposit after and it makes more sense now if your selling throughout the day and everyday. Is their a fee for daily deposit schedule, sounds expensive? I feel like fees have gone way up as everything normally does.

Fair enough on the part of it asking you to enter in your personal information. Makes sense, never thought of it that way.

Right. Now that I think about it, the separate shipping charge makes sense, just confusing.😅

Fair enough on seller fees and shipping label costs.

Thank you for taking the time to careful explain it all, makes sense.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Off topic, would you happen to know why shipping costs are not showing when I put in Canada postal codes and US zip codes in to check shipping costs. Is it showing up like this with no shipping listed when buyers search?

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Do you mean here?

https://www.canadapost-postescanada.ca/cpc/en/tools/find-a-rate.page

There is a drop down menu in the second box.

I don't actually use eBay labels often and when I do it's as a Calculated rate and varies with the customer's location, so not very useful to me.
If I want to, I could use K1A 0A6 (the House of Commons in Ottawa) for a reasonable Central Canada address (or M4W 1E6 for those who remember Danny Finkleman)  and 90210 for the USA.

Remember that the Fuel Surcharge varies from week to week. I'm scared to look at the moment because gas just hit 1.999 here on Vancouver Island.

For USPS shipping costs I use
https://postcalc.usps.com/?country=10440

which I find a little complicated.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Oh, pardon me. I tried uploading a photo. When I go to my listings to change the country and code to see what shipping is for that country and code. https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_ssn=phoenixhobbies&store_name=phoenixhobbies&_oac=1&_trksid=p2047675...

Right, all makes sense. The more you know. Thank you. 🙂

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

I gotta go through my listings and check the measurements for a third time... Not looking forward to it... 😜 Is their some where I can find and relate Canada Post Shipping weight and measurements to eBay Canada Post Shipping Labels measurements.

I know 1 digit being incorrect can change and mess it up and make it not work/show up correctly. Maybe that's why my listings are showing a default highest shipping prise for buyers?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply