Handling delay in shipments

say, if a seller has posted an item Via letter mail (with no tracking) but taken a proof of shipment Picture of item with stamp/address on it and if buyer has not received the item & raises a concern. As a seller, i am trying to understand if we have proof of picture, should we still Refund money as now ebay has refunded money without even confirming with seller?

Looking for your views on how to handle such cases.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

marnotom!
Community Member
The buyer’s complaint is that they haven’t received the item, not that you haven’t sent it.

If it is after the item’s estimated delivery window as stated on the listing page, then a refund is due. Apologize to your buyer even though the delay was out of your hands and invite them in a subtle and friendly manner to pay you again when the item arrives.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Just learned yesterday on the Boards that if you click on Reply to the email PP sends you about the original payment, you will see the buyer's email address.

Then you can politely re-invoice them once you see the parcel is in fact delivered.

Without tracking, this is going to be guess work, but sometime between Christmas and New Year would be reasonable.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

The only validation is proof of delivery, provided with tracked shipment.
Second to that, possibly an affidavit from George Washington or Santa.

Proof of shipment doesn't qualify delivery.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I send all my lettermail from the CPC counter and my counter rep date stamps it and I take photos. I've sent that photo to impatient buyers a few times. Some of them seem skeptical that it's even been shipped if there's no tracking - so sending them the photo helps A LOT! They instantly trust what you're saying is true, become more patient and (I believe) are less likely to neg you. That photo has saved my bacon a few times! My phone camera roll is full of them! And post box video (which is another form of proof if mailing from the mailbox)!
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yes, that's a good informal proof of mailing, but should the buyer decide to Dispute, it won't be used by eBay or Paypal as proof of anything,

Still it does help to soothe the savage breast, especially if the buyer is nervous and not vindictive.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply