Hi -Want Large RETURN Processed in JUNE NOW - So FVF's Credited

Hello - I have (for the very last time!) sold an item for another person, who promised it was working. I was unable to test it.... -ALAS it is horribly deficient. I am smart enough to not release payment to said 3rd party until the buyer says that they are happy...IF they are.

-So I will set up my Return Specifications after i write this --- As I don't wish to be out money on this great deal - I'd love for the return to be shown in June so against the Sale - thus I don't have Final Value fee to pay July 15th and Get reimbursed the next month. I am on a very tight budget and $40 is a lot if I don't owe it.

-- Do I have to refund the cash by Midnight Eastern time today for this to happen - OR IF buyer requests a return by end of today, will  that be enough for the accounting to all show in June??

--  Fortunately I have a Very nice buyer , as it is the beginning of the month for major bill payments and a long weekend in Canada, so banking will be more "dicey" on July 2nd when all transactions will go through - I'd love to reimburse 90% of the money today and the balance on the 3rd or 4th - as I have to come up with the $120.00 we spent on the shipping, myself.  He is fine with this - but will the system allow it -if I set up for manually approving the returns??

--If I just refund through Paypal and do not go thru the return system - does that automatically give me a FVF credit ?? --

-- Yes he will be returning the Braille keyboard unit - as my 3rd party does want it back - of course though it may take him 10 days to get enough money to me to pay for the return postage - so another -"off normal" transaction.... (as he needs to pay me also for the initial shipping that I have to reimburse for him also - mess!)

--The buyer is in France -- Can I send a pre-paid postal label for him to use in France?  Wouldn't it need to initiate with the French Postal system ??? --

Many Thanks for any fast answers that someone /anyone can give me !! and he is 9 hours ahead also -for pushing the return button - so may not be an option as -yuk - already after 11pm there...

Melanie

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

--If I just refund through Paypal and do not go thru the return system - does that automatically give me a FVF credit ?? --

No, if you use PayPal to refund you will not receive a credit from eBay for your FVF, at least not automatically, perhaps not at all... so I would definitely not recommend doing that.

As for the rest of your concerns I will leave those to others... I rarely process returns. Sorry you are experiencing this nightmare transaction.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

You won't get a final value fee refund until you actually issue a refund, you shouldn't issue a refund until you get the item back so I don't see ANY possible way you can get a fee credit in June.

If you give them a refund before they do the return there is a good chance the return will never happen!

It may be possible that if you get the return credit in July before the 15th that you can pay the remaining balance BEFORE eBay dips into your account.

There is also a setting in your Site Preferences -> General Settings -> Seller Billing Preferences...

Apply recent payments and credits to automatic payment amount

Make sure this is selected. If you have this setting turned on  AND you make an early payment (by at least 3 or 4 days) it MAY appear to eBay that you have a zero balance outstanding (the payment and the credit).

I do have this choice selected but I've never actually checked to see if it works as I think it should, don't have many credits on my account and have never bothered to see how eBay handles it.

For sure you would have to get the return/credit in the next 7 - 10 days or I doubt there is any chance to avoid paying the fees in June and taking the credit in July.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

if the item doesn't work properly, and you accept the return..  you are responsible for reimbursing both shipping fees, as well as the original auction price.. to the buyer..

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

perhaps you could suggest a partial refund, so they can have the item fixed.. then there would be no shipping fees to cover, and if it is only 100$ to fix, it would probably be cheaper for you in the end, not having to deal with the shipping.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

You sold a Thing.

The buyer wants to return it for a refund.

You are willing, but want your FVF today (June 30).

Well, that's not going to happen.

You might be able to get the FVF refunded before the 15th of July if you act promptly.

Tell the buyer to open a dispute for Not As Described.

Send the Buyer return shipping.

If the buyer is in Canada this is easy, through Paypal, but if not you will have to go to Shippo and send a Return Shipping Label to him usable by a US shipper (USPS, UPS /USA, FedEx/USA) provided he is in the USA.

The buyer has five days to get the Thing back in the mail.

It can take up to 20 days to arrive, unless you want to pay for PrioritySuperFastZippyGoldPlated service.

ONLY when it arrives back , and you have inspected to see that it is the same item, do you refund.

Your consignor does not get paid until the transaction is complete.

In this case, that means, in addition to the other fees and charges he paid you for trying to sell his item (describing, photographing , listing, listing fees, shipping of sold item) you now add the cost of return shipping of  Not as Described item.

This is why sellers who do sell on consignment charge upwards of 40% of selling price PLUS all fees for their labours.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply