Hong Kong Addresses

Has anyone had any issues with addresses in Hong Kong?  I sent one off and it couldn't be delivered, "Delivery attempt, recipient is unknown".  I had even verified the address with the buyer before I sent it.  I had to refund the buyer for the item and shipping.   It is now in never never land, never got returned to me. 

Now I have another one that I am trying to verify the address with the buyer before I send it as the postal service doesn't like the address the buyer has shown.  

I may have to stop shipping to Hong Kong.

Thanks

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Hong Kong Addresses

When shipping to Hong Kong I always include the buyer's phone number.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

@musicyouneed wrote:

Has anyone had any issues with addresses in Hong Kong?  I sent one off and it couldn't be delivered, "Delivery attempt, recipient is unknown".  I had even verified the address with the buyer before I sent it.  I had to refund the buyer for the item and shipping.   It is now in never never land, never got returned to me. 

If it's coming back to you or being reported to you as recipient unknown, how/why are you being held responsible?

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

He filed an INR so I had to refund.  Since it was from April, I am assuming it is lost and not coming back to me.

unknown.jpg

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

Is there someone that can help me with an address in Hong Kong.  You would have had to have lived there.  Send me a personal message.   Thanks

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

I'm not following this.  You shipped to the address the buyer gave you and it was undeliverable and the records clearly show that to be the case.

Doesn't that mean that the buyer would lose an INR case?

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

I agree with Sylvie.

This is like a cancellation for Problem with Address.

Not your responsibility.

At most I would refund the purchase price, never the shipping cost, especially to an overseas customer.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

@musicyouneed wrote:

Now I have another one that I am trying to verify the address with the buyer before I send it as the postal service doesn't like the address the buyer has shown.  

I may have to stop shipping to Hong Kong.

Thanks

You should have been covered by seller protection since there was tracking showing the item couldn’t be delivered.

Whenever I’ve had a problem with making an international label it is often because the format is wrong.  For example, they may have the state where the city should be or it may be another problem.  When that happens I check the proper format on the upu site and I also try googling the address as it will often end up showing that address or a similar one in the correct format.

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/addressing/postal-addressing-systems-in-member-countries.html

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

@musicyouneed wrote:

He filed an INR so I had to refund.  Since it was from April, I am assuming it is lost and not coming back to me.

unknown.jpg

Seeing as it got "returned" to Asendia Germany, I'm assuming you used Chit Chats for this shipment?

When you printed the shipping label via Chit Chats, did you make sure that the label was printed out correctly and that no info was cut off from the shipping label? Did you also manually write the address and put it on the package? Whenever I ship to somewhere with an address that's not fully in English (or that the country doesn't have English as its primary language) I always write the address AND the buyer's phone number on the envelope. Did the buyer gave you his/her address in Chinese? Hong Kong addresses should have English version as well.

That being said, I agree with others, since you had tracking, you shouldn't have lost the INR case. 

@musicyouneed wrote:

Is it in Chinese? Just print it and stick it on the envelope, and write HONG KONG in English below that Chinese address. Hong Kong is a safe place to mail to. I wouldn't mail to China but Hong Kong should be fine. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

Thanks for all the replies, yes I used Chit Chat and I do know that when I printed this current label, it left some of the address off so I am not sure what if anything got cut off of the first one.  I think that I used the address that the buyer gave me not the one that Chit Chat suggested.  

Good to know that if there was tracking and there was a problem with the address, I might not have to refund.  Well live and learn.  I will pay more attention.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

On a side note as per the Canadapost website parcels addressed to China should be marked as follows:

The last part of the address must be PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF CHINA.

Packaging

China prohibits items in opaque, sealed containers.

Rules for allowable and nonallowable items below:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=CN

Document Requirements

Import Documentation

The following are some basic clearance documents. Please note that different declared values, commodities, and types of trade may require additional documents not noted below.

1. Commercial Invoice: A Commercial Invoice is required for all non-document shipments. A specific format is not required, although the following basic information must be included:

• The shipper's and consignee's name and address and telephone number
  • a detailed description of the goods
  • currency used
  • freight and Insurance Charges as applicable
  • harmonized code of shipment
  • the FOB value of each item
  • the country of origin
  • the place and date of shipment
  • the quantity and weight

PLEASE NOTE: ELECTRONIC INVOICES (ECI) ARE NOT ACCEPTED.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses

@musicyouneed 

Addressing examples for Hong Kong in the link below. Please note address in Blue or Black ink. NEVER RED.  When mailing an envelope or postcard, leave at least the bottom 16 millimeters (5/8 inch) blank on both front and back. (The postal service's reading and sorting machines might need this space to print bar codes on your mail.)

https://www.bitboost.com/ref/international-address-formats/hong-kong/

-Lotz

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hong Kong Addresses