Hope for you video sellers against pirates

For those of you video sellers who've been reporting video piracy and saw no action taken because we as sellers had something to gain (you're right, our livelihood), something has changed.

Those sellers who sell custom made DVDs and Blu-rays in the name of making a quick buck while they screw the rest of us legit sellers (and the copyright holders) out of hard-earned money, have something to fear. After a year of reporting these people to eBay and nothing happened (even the ones openly flaunting their piracy went untouched), I reported one about 2 months ago and eBay removed the product page the pirate was selling.

I'm not sure if anything was done to the account of the person selling the illegal goods but the fact that eBay finally listened and did something about this problem could mean there is hope for the rest of us. Maybe going forward eBay has realized to have a healthy community of sellers, they need to keep pirated goods off their site.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

When you report a 'counterfeit' eBay usually does not act on it as they have no way of knowing if you are correct unless the listing actually mentions that it is a copy.  However if the rights holder of that copyright holder contacts eBay they must take down the listing so the best way thing to do is to report the listing to the copyright holder.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The illegal seller wasn't as obvious as others but I knew before I reported the person that it was a pirated Blu-ray. I also did my research just in case, before I sent off that report.

When eBay did nothing I did turn to one of the heavier guns in seeking out illegal use of their licensed products, Disney. I have a hunch Disney (if they did) stepping in a number of times might have influenced eBay to do something about their problem.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@needsmorerobots 

Im glad to see someone is trying to get rid of the creeps selling fakes makes it hard to be a decent seller here.

Copywrite changes with region some countrys allow backup copies etc. Its almost impossible to police .

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

You are wasting your time with eBay in this regard.
Contact the copyright holder with the link/URL.
I have even received tokens of appreciation for doing so.
Most if not all, have a contact link on their webpage; often at the bottom.
Many, for example MIcrosoft, even have an infringement contact page.
They'll address it with eBay.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply