How Long Will Our PO Hold Parcel for Pickup?

When our PO leaves a notice that a package can be picked up do they always send a second notice?

How long do they keep the package before they return to sender?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

The following happened with one of my parcels

Parcel delivered to local postal outlet on December 20

Notice card left on December 21.    This was the first notice card

Final notice card left on December 27.  If parcel is not picked up within 10 days, the parcel will be sent back to sender.

This was in Viking, Alberta..... a rural situation.   Buyer  was out of town on business, and called the post office......  to hold the parcel beyond this 10 day period   Buyer eventually picked up the parcel on January 16.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

A lot depends on the post office.

I expect in rural post offices where the postmaster knows everyone, they will hold stuff for very much longer than would be the case in the city.

That is the case in my wee post office here....
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Do they always leave a second card notifying you that an item can be picked up at the depot?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

They always leave a second card here so I imagine that is what they are supposed to do.

However, there have been a few times when I didn't receive a first card but I did receive a second one. 

So....it isn't accurate to say that a 1st or 2nd card is 'always' received.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thought I'd post a follow up here in case anyone else is interested.

Apparently they hold packages for 15 days.  That's it!  If you can't get a hold of the depot where your package is held there's no way to extend that.  In my case the variety store where I do my mail doesn't do the phone.

PITA ............  I know the delivery person didn't even bother to knock on my door.  Just dropped a notice and ran.  I'm trying to get through the winter without a car and things like this make it more difficult.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I've never had a driver's license, but my budget has always allowed me enough to call a taxi when necessary.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

If you call the Canada Post 1-800-number and kick up a stink about something like that, sometimes they will attempt redelivery. That is, unless the Sender made it Card for Delivery. 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply