How do Chinese sellers afford free shipping?

It's obviously a very cheap method, as it can take 6 weeks to arrive. The packages have pre-paid labels, some through Hong Kong, some through Singapore, some apparently direct, obviously they are paying something - I've heard they get volume discounts. But even so, when the cost of goods is so cheap, I don't understand how they make any money.

Anyone know?

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

True.  Timely (american) article on what postal service is dong the subsidizing for china shipped goods

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/storyline/wp/2014/09/12/the-postal-service-is-losing-millions-a-y...

Thanks for posting that link.  Extremely interesting and insightful exposé.  This is the sort of thing that makes the whole question of dealing with China an ethical issue, as well as an economic one.  

I'd challenge anybody in Canada to look around their home and find any household item under 15 years old (aside from perhaps some high-end electronics and appliances) that wasn't made in China.  

I fear the implications of always choosing the cheapest prices with little or no shipping cost, regardless of origin, are going to come back to haunt us. 

In the meantime, with a cheap and plentiful labour force, and virtually non-existent shipping costs, China is quietly taking over the online shopping world without even having to buy up any e-companies.  

Message 21 of 64
latest reply

Agreed. There is a big Canadian craft store that sends me their catalogues a few times per year. If I want to purchase something for $10.00 the shipping is $5.95. Why would I purchase from them when I can get the item much cheaper and with free shipping from China. Regardless of how much I love my country and want to support the economy, there is absolutely zero chance that I will purchase anything from that company.
Message 22 of 64
latest reply

The per capita GDP of China is 1/6th of North America. Extrapolating, that would make their wages 1/6th, their costs 1/6th. Our living standards are six times greater than theirs.

I read how international postage rates are governed by treaties that are periodically reviewed. China, essentially, is a half-not country relative to us based on GDP.  That "entitles" their country to different treatment internationally. I also read that this is up for a regular review.

Photobucket
Message 23 of 64
latest reply

rhoel07
Community Member
I think this will be a big problem for all retailers not only to online retailers but also to store retailers, in all the countries that they are allowed to sell. With their very low prices and free shipping, retailers will find it impossible to compete with them. They used to be wholesalers now they are selling online as retailers. I also think that they hardly pay any custom duties/taxes as long as they are shipping individual goods below $20 in most countries.
Message 24 of 64
latest reply

What really makes me wonder is the items sold for less than 30 cents and there are quite a few.

Paypal fees are 30 cents, so after shipping and packaging a loss is guaranteed from the start.

Message 25 of 64
latest reply

In the meantime, with a cheap and plentiful labour force, and virtually non-existent shipping costs, China is....

moving factories to lower wage countries.

https://agenda.weforum.org/2015/03/what-the-shift-in-chinas-economy-means-for-africa/

But changes now impacting the Chinese domestic economy hold out a new promise for aspirational African economies. The rising cost pressures on China’s light industrial manufacturing sector will increasingly lead to manufacturing capacity to relocate to lower-cost foreign economies over the long term. This trend of Chinese “hollowing out” of low-end manufacturing and offshoring to Africa is likely to be the next driving force of the relationship. This forms part of what is often referred to as China’s “economic rebalancing”. If this opportunity is seized by progressively reformist African states, they could well be on the cusp of a 19th-century style industrial revolution – generating jobs and creating new industries.

Message 26 of 64
latest reply

"The Chinese government subsidizes postage costs allowing exporters to mail very cheaply to overseas buyers."

The Harper government is currently in trade talks with China and other Asian countries to allow them easier access to our market (Free Trade Agreement) while they do the same to us. 

In fairness, maybe those low subsidized shipping charges should be on the table for discussion.

Message 27 of 64
latest reply

They use the paypal micro payment plan that doesn't have the .30

Message 28 of 64
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

They use the paypal micro payment plan that doesn't have the .30

It's true that paypal used to give a very few large sellers discounts but those sellers were rare.

Even so, if they did see fit to give those to a few Chinese sellers the discounts, the discounts were small.

Moverover:

Recently they announced that they were no longer giving those discounts to anyone.

Message 29 of 64
latest reply

Its not a discount, anyone can sign up for micro payments and pay 5%, with no .30. Makes sense for sub $10 sales
Message 30 of 64
latest reply

"Well, I have to say I have gotten some fantastic deals on some very good stuff shipped free from China.  Things that would cost 3 times as much anywhere else and would tack on 4 - 10 dollars shipping to boot.  I never buy from Canada because you go to them you get a 3 dollar item with $29 shipping.  Not worth it.  If the Chinese government can afford to give away free shipping then let them.  I will buy the **bleep** out of Chinese goods as long as the shipping is free and the prices are so low.  And as far as them getting my e-mail address. That is more than a fair bargain.  I have an unlimited number of email addresses so they can have one or two of them.  I consider that a bargain."

@steve

That may be fine if the quality is the same, but speaking from personal experience, much of what is coming out of China is not name brand quality. A lot of it is fake and/or counterfeit, that falls apart in your hands when you go to use it. In many cases buying from Chinese sellers, is just throwing your money away. I often wonder, how many times will buyers allow themselves to be ripped off, before they simply stop their purchases.

Iirc, it was Nixon who gave China favoured Nation status, that introduced the e-packet for cheap, and gave the Chinese sellers an unfair advantage. I really think it's time to level the playing field, the sellers in NA should demand it before they go the way of the dodo bird.

Message 31 of 64
latest reply

It's the United States giving away free shipping... You are subsidizing China's imports.

Message 32 of 64
latest reply

All this talk makes me think, we don't manufacture, now we don't sell. All we do is build buildings, extract oil and run restaurants?

Message 33 of 64
latest reply

Just as more & more U.S. companies are hiring foreign workers (H-1B) at lower wages and sending jobs to Asia to compete

in the Global marketplace, Ebay & the USPS brokered a deal with China to allow the Chinese government to basically pay for

the lower cost 'E-packet' shipping rates so that sellers in China can offer low cost i.e. cheaper items to U.S. customers.

If American consumers continue to purchase items that are manufactured & sold from foreign markets then they only have

themselves to blame for their demise.

Message 34 of 64
latest reply

You are exactly correct! A service oriented economy that basically doesn't produce squat like it used to.

Message 35 of 64
latest reply

Certain non-US facets & US government agencies that control & steer the US agenda & much of the global economy deliberately devaluate non-US currencies & destroy foreign infrastructure global stability for profit on debt trading of virtual Worth. They market Terror that they create as weapons of mass destruction and media control are their only two home-grown national products. We could do what eBay does; instead we let eBay skim 50% off of every eBay $ purchase. We let the ex-CEO of US based Pitney Bowes run & "upgrade" the infrastructure of a successful Canada Post into a supposed -25 billion $ position in record time through the unneeded automation of Canadian systems (largely Pitney Bowes equipment) as we position to privatize it. Can you guess who might be in line to buy it? Chana's ports are 21st century marvels! Their shipping systems are insanely efficient but over drawn. They send out in bulk with Borg like efficiency! As long as product is flowing money flows with it it doesn't matter where once it hits port. They will crash eventually, as their economy has grow too fast but they can't afford a steady state right now as their market is so overdrawn & their infrastructure incomplete but they're still kicking US butt. We need NOT to buy from them, but to learn from them before we are making $2 a month ourselves, with little education & poor US owned services in a country who's first language is Chinese. Canadians need to step on the Mr Wonderfuls of the World & impeach the spineless sycophant Harpies that are selling out our freedoms & identity. Western Canada needs to get their head out of their greedy oily  & realize the real potential of our great Countries other resources. Ten million hard working Mewfies can't be wrong. When the fishing industry collapsed those people showed strength I still marvel at a quarter century later. Canadians cant take US jobs but Microsoft etc. can do so here? No! Westerner s need jobs, train them. Manufacture here, like China does. Stop sending oil, soil, trees, & minerals the we could be using to manufacture the clean energies & products our children will need. We've got over 80% of the worlds fresh water! We've got native coastal access to anywhere on earth! We have a healthy, educated population. The aged will gladly learn if offered work for a better guaranteed semi-retirement. The young would do the same for a chance at a future. Canada needs to build it's education, port authority, & infrastructure; to stop giving it's scientific knowledge & breakthroughs to the US; to fight it's own wars, and realize it's own strengths. If Canadian industries could learn from the dot.com era & play as a team. if the world could follow, we all could be the next China. If it didn't strafe the earth dry it would be a utopia. But to do so the Global economy needs to specialize, cooperate & work as a Global enterprise & let that happen on every continent. But wouldn't that be nice? LOL. (End of book :))

Message 36 of 64
latest reply

Sorry but it's just too difficult to read one long paragraph like that.

Message 37 of 64
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

Sorry but it's just too difficult to read one long paragraph like that.

I also passed on reading that one long paragraph. I would be cross-eyed for an hour if I tried to read it.

Message 38 of 64
latest reply

This might be easier.  I will refrain from editorial comment.

Certain non-US facets & US government agencies that control & steer the US agenda & much of the global economy deliberately devaluate non-US currencies & destroy foreign infrastructure global stability for profit on debt trading of virtual Worth.
They market Terror that they create as weapons of mass destruction and media control are their only two home-grown national products.
We could do what eBay does; instead we let eBay skim 50% off of every eBay $ purchase.
We let the ex-CEO of US based Pitney Bowes run & "upgrade" the infrastructure of a successful Canada Post into a supposed -25 billion $ position in record time through the unneeded automation of Canadian systems (largely Pitney Bowes equipment) as we position to privatize it.
Can you guess who might be in line to buy it?
 Chana's ports are 21st century marvels! Their shipping systems are insanely efficient but over drawn.
They send out in bulk with Borg like efficiency!
 As long as product is flowing money flows with it it doesn't matter where once it hits port.
They will crash eventually, as their economy has grow too fast but they can't afford a steady state right now as their market is so overdrawn & their infrastructure incomplete but they're still kicking US butt.
We need NOT to buy from them, but to learn from them before we are making $2 a month ourselves, with little education & poor US owned services in a country who's first language is Chinese.
Canadians need to step on the Mr Wonderfuls of the World & impeach the spineless sycophant Harpies that are selling out our freedoms & identity.
Western Canada needs to get their head out of their greedy oily  & realize the real potential of our great Countries other resources.
Ten million hard working Mewfies can't be wrong.
When the fishing industry collapsed those people showed strength I still marvel at a quarter century later.
Canadians cant take US jobs but Microsoft etc. can do so here? No!
Westerner s need jobs, train them. Manufacture here, like China does.
Stop sending oil, soil, trees, & minerals the we could be using to manufacture the clean energies & products our children will need.
We've got over 80% of the worlds fresh water! We've got native coastal access to anywhere on earth! We have a healthy, educated population.
The aged will gladly learn if offered work for a better guaranteed semi-retirement.
The young would do the same for a chance at a future.
Canada needs to build it's education, port authority, & infrastructure; to stop giving it's scientific knowledge & breakthroughs to the US; to fight it's own wars, and realize it's own strengths.
If Canadian industries could learn from the dot.com era & play as a team.
if the world could follow, we all could be the next China.
If it didn't strafe the earth dry it would be a utopia.
But to do so the Global economy needs to specialize, cooperate & work as a Global enterprise & let that happen on every continent.
But wouldn't that be nice? LOL. (End of book )

Message 39 of 64
latest reply

It's worth noting that the issue of agreed postal rates with specific countries is one large retailers are starting to lobby more aggressively. For example USPS renegotiated rates with China post at the tail end of last year, with Amazon pressing congress for action. With a large part of Amazon's US business being low cost Chinese imported goods, you can see their motivation. 

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y15/m10/i09/s02

The real sticking point seems to be the existing Universal Postal Union agreed fees for compensation for domestic delivery of inbound foreign mail. From reading through the USPS Office of Inspector General 2014 report, specific agreements like epacket, which many Chinese sellers use as the lowest cost trackable service to the US, actually generate more revenue in the form of compensation USPS receives for domestic delivery versus lettermail, which would have been the alternative for many of these packages. In either cases, the delivery translated to a net loss during the period reviewed despite substantial volumes, epacket was judged a smaller loss based on the higher compensation received. Interestingly USPS did not track actual costing of epackets as a separate service so had no way to judge profitability other than blending it with lettermail.

While the example above is specific to the US, the interesting bit is how existing agreements under the Universal Postal Union impact on the costs of domestic delivery of foreign originating items. Agreements which may seem to be a sweetheart deal may actually increase profits or reduce losses for the postal operator since adding the tracking is minimal overhead. In the case of China where the country is willing to subsidize their end to boost exports, it raises the interesting debate on the impact it has on domestic business and balancing that with the benefit to consumers of lower priced goods.

The bit I am interested in is the accessibility of these services. Epacket for packages going out of the US is an accessible service, but it is only offered via postal wholesalers, who are mostly located around central air terminals in the US, and subject to minimums which put them out of reach of the individual or small business sellers. I'd be interested to know how accessible the rates are in China and Hong Kong to the individual or small business seller. In the case of Canada, we have access to tracked packet international, which is part of the prime express program like USPS e-delcon for first class international package. The downside is we pay a far higher rate for the same service.

Message 40 of 64
latest reply