How do Chinese sellers afford free shipping?

It's obviously a very cheap method, as it can take 6 weeks to arrive. The packages have pre-paid labels, some through Hong Kong, some through Singapore, some apparently direct, obviously they are paying something - I've heard they get volume discounts. But even so, when the cost of goods is so cheap, I don't understand how they make any money.

Anyone know?

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

If what someone said earlier about the china e-mail scam is true it would certainly explain why one of my "linked email" accounts just started getting blasted by **bleep**! I had to shut it down.

Message 41 of 64
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

This might be easier.  I will refrain from editorial comment.

Certain non-US facets & US government agencies that control & steer the US agenda & much of the global economy deliberately devaluate non-US currencies & destroy foreign infrastructure global stability for profit on debt trading of virtual Worth.
They market Terror that they create as weapons of mass destruction and media control are their only two home-grown national products.
We could do what eBay does; instead we let eBay skim 50% off of every eBay $ purchase.
We let the ex-CEO of US based Pitney Bowes run & "upgrade" the infrastructure of a successful Canada Post into a supposed -25 billion $ position in record time through the unneeded automation of Canadian systems (largely Pitney Bowes equipment) as we position to privatize it.
Can you guess who might be in line to buy it?
 Chana's ports are 21st century marvels! Their shipping systems are insanely efficient but over drawn.
They send out in bulk with Borg like efficiency!
 As long as product is flowing money flows with it it doesn't matter where once it hits port.
They will crash eventually, as their economy has grow too fast but they can't afford a steady state right now as their market is so overdrawn & their infrastructure incomplete but they're still kicking US butt.
We need NOT to buy from them, but to learn from them before we are making $2 a month ourselves, with little education & poor US owned services in a country who's first language is Chinese.
Canadians need to step on the Mr Wonderfuls of the World & impeach the spineless sycophant Harpies that are selling out our freedoms & identity.
Western Canada needs to get their head out of their greedy oily  & realize the real potential of our great Countries other resources.
Ten million hard working Mewfies can't be wrong.
When the fishing industry collapsed those people showed strength I still marvel at a quarter century later.
Canadians cant take US jobs but Microsoft etc. can do so here? No!
Westerner s need jobs, train them. Manufacture here, like China does.
Stop sending oil, soil, trees, & minerals the we could be using to manufacture the clean energies & products our children will need.
We've got over 80% of the worlds fresh water! We've got native coastal access to anywhere on earth! We have a healthy, educated population.
The aged will gladly learn if offered work for a better guaranteed semi-retirement.
The young would do the same for a chance at a future.
Canada needs to build it's education, port authority, & infrastructure; to stop giving it's scientific knowledge & breakthroughs to the US; to fight it's own wars, and realize it's own strengths.
If Canadian industries could learn from the dot.com era & play as a team.
if the world could follow, we all could be the next China.
If it didn't strafe the earth dry it would be a utopia.
But to do so the Global economy needs to specialize, cooperate & work as a Global enterprise & let that happen on every continent.
But wouldn't that be nice? LOL. (End of book )

That's so much better Femme, darling. Now it reads like a bad Haiku with no end.

Photobucket
Message 42 of 64
latest reply

Chinese government covers the cost like most of their products e.g. raw steel, they have destroyed steel industry around the world. the idea is to destroy manufacturers around the world until there is no more competition and they raise the price. They play a long term strategy.

My really concern is how do they get import duty free for their products not just in Canada but all over the world? I bought seats, kitchen faucets, they were heavy to ship but I paid no import tax, no shipping fee. It's is a mystery.
Message 43 of 64
latest reply

I got the replacement part of faucet that I broke the very next day by DHL for free. I am still talk about this. Maybe I should move my shipping location to China.

Message 44 of 64
latest reply

It took me almost a day to list 6 items for sell on eBay. Here we have a Chinese emailed me Q & A back for a 99 cents plus free shipping. This is more hard work than ants. Next thing we know they bought all the million dollars home around the world. LOL. What the...

Message 45 of 64
latest reply

You didn't bother looking at the dates for the messages you replied to, did you?

3 year old NECROTHREAD alert

Message 46 of 64
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

3 year old NECROTHREAD alert

LOL -- Yes, but the Chinese phenomenon is still going on as before.  

While we're on the subject, I noticed an item I purchased* from a Chinese seller on December 11th had a delivery timeline on it of "from Dec. 23rd to Feb. 6th".   How is it that Chinese sellers get a 45-day window from eBay for international delivery, when the longest I have available as a seller is 12 days (11-23 days)?  Do Chinese sellers get some sort of preferential treatment from eBay, regardless of their size?  The seller I dealt with wasn't a "big-time" retailer.  Don't the majority of Chinese sellers list on eBay.com? 

*In my defence, I don't normally buy from a Chinese seller on eBay if I can help it, but this particular item was MIA elsewhere on eBay. 

Message 47 of 64
latest reply

Hi Rose!

On .COM they have their own special options they can pick for shipping "Economy Shipping from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan" It has delivery time of 11 to 35 business days.....

Message 48 of 64
latest reply

A shopper from China has been sending not unreasonable offers for an item I have listed.

I've had problems with China so I'm more cautious with that country and the buyer has no FB so that's also a cause for concern in this particular case.

Even though I've billed for small packet, the item is iin the price range where I could upgrade shipping to Xpresspost at my expense.

I've been trying to picture a worst case scenario.  

If I ship Xpresspost I'd be covered for false INR claims, but what if the buyer files a case for item not as described where I'd be on the hook for return shipping?

Does anyone know how one would calculate that cost from China?  It might only be a few dollars with tracking.

In other words, the cost may be low enough so that it's a nonissue.

However, since I have no way of calculating the cost of return of shipping with tracking from China, does anyone know how that might play out?

Message 49 of 64
latest reply

I do not ship anything to China anymore without tracking, and I am in a "safe" category (postage stamps).

I've never had anything returned from China, but as I understand it, it is (comparatively) ridiculously cheap for them to send stuff trackable here. Probably others have actual experience with that....

Message 50 of 64
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

................. but as I understand it, it is (comparatively) ridiculously cheap for them to send stuff trackable here. Probably others have actual experience with that....

TY for the response.

That's what I'm thinking:  If I ship with tracking I should be OK.

The only thing that could go wrong then is that the buyer requests a return and I was trying to picture how that would go before accepting the offer.

I just can't imagine what it would be like negotiating a return label with someone in China, or any other country where English isn't the first language if they file a claim for INADed.

It almost seems as if they'd be able to demand any amount they'd like for return shipping and I was trying to picture a worst case scenario.  (There must some checks on that?)

Message 51 of 64
latest reply

Just curious.....When you do ship there with tracking, which service do you use and are packages always scanned on delivery?  I've read that some countries are not reliable for scanning even if there is tracking.

Message 52 of 64
latest reply

That's exactly what the long paragraph is telling you to stop doing ,Stop Not Doing ,get it ?

Message 53 of 64
latest reply

Yes I just posted the following message on my Facebook wall:  Anyone notice a correlation, when you buy a product on ebay or similar, especially if inexpensive from China, you suddenly get a slew of junk email? It dawned on me today. It makes sense. Sell the email addresses of people who buy stuff.

Message 54 of 64
latest reply

@melwph wrote:

Yes I just posted the following message on my Facebook wall:  Anyone notice a correlation, when you buy a product on ebay or similar, especially if inexpensive from China, you suddenly get a slew of junk email? It dawned on me today. It makes sense. Sell the email addresses of people who buy stuff.

Unqualified email addresses hold little value. There is however a direct correlation between participating on the internet, having an email address, and receiving spam.

Message 55 of 64
latest reply

The Chinese government is not subsidizing shipping costs, Canada Post is!  

Read this article:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canada-post-phasing-out-controversial-shipping-di...

Apparently they are trying to have this changed, hopefully soon so our manufacturers and retailers having a fighting chance on a level playing ground!

Message 56 of 64
latest reply

LOL  Funny reading this as I just came back from town and among things that I needed was a simple plastic juice pitcher, nothing fancy. I had to go to 3 stores to get one. The other stores had them but glass ect. At each store I asked for just the basic cheap plastic ones, each store said we don't carry them as they are made in China which has NO QUALITY CONTROL over plastic items so we buy as little as we can from China. At one store I even said we need a Dollar Store here, they said, will never happen as most of their items are from China and our community doesn't support it because of the lack of "quality control" etc. I say "hats off to my community for taking a stand"

Side note, my son bought something from China online, free shipping and the actual shipping cost for it was .28 cents. As we all know in Canada we can't ship anything for .28 cents

He also got a week long rant from me for buying from China.

Message 57 of 64
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2017

International postal shipping rules changed at the start of 2018.

@happy_pigeon

Message 58 of 64
latest reply

@happy_pigeon

Welcome to Monday!

Message 59 of 64
latest reply

This is the kind of unfair subsidy at least Trump has opposed, but the globalists in the U.S. scream when anyone brings this kind of thing up.  Subsidized shipping and FAKE, worthless "tracking numbers."

Message 60 of 64
latest reply