How do I change all my listings to eBay Canada?

Currently right now all my listing is on the US website and all of my items are being shipped state side from a warehouse located on the other side of the border. But after one crossing on the border, I felt like I was being harassed by the US customs agent there. It wasn't the first time this happen. The first time I was asked to pay a trucking fee by a US customs agent for crossing the border and it felt like I was being singled out as a visible minority (I have a tiny SUV and its not a truck). Lately I've been really thinking about bring my items and business on the Canadian side of the border. I know that I have to report all my items at duties and pay the subsequent taxes at the border which is a one time thing. So my question is how do I change the location of my listings in bulk and change the shipping services from USPS to Canada Post? And to all cross border sellers is this the correct move to take? I'm planning on making the move in the next few months. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are a few of those freight forwarding companies around, and I don't have personal experience with them, but chitchatexpress is used by many sellers and most seem pleased.

They have outlets in Toronto and Vancouver, perhaps in Calgary as well?

There are others.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/ChitChat-Express-Canada/m-p/411390#M98852

Their small fees are offset by fewer border hassles and the time you save.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi!

I have sad news, you can't change them in bulk, you can't move items between sites. You will have to close all the .COM items and recreate them as .CA items. (if memory serves Turbolister might help make this a tiny bit less painful).

This is the exact reason my .COM store remains a .COM store, I can't afford the time to convert 4,000 items across sites....

As a note, nothing is stopping you from being like me, selling from Canada from a .COM store. (but just like me you'll be paying store fees in US$ instead of $C) You'll have to change the things that show where you are located but you can probably do that en-masse.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

If you are crossing the border with the intention of those items being sent to US residents then I suspect that US customs wants you to submit the proper forms as a business, just like I would have to do if I was crossing the border with goods that I wanted to mail using USPS.  I doubt that they are singling you out. I am not that familiar with the rules as I'm not close to a border however there are previous posts on the board about this or you can look on the US customs website.

As ric mentioned there isn't an easy way to change your listings from .com to .ca but you can change your location from the US to Canada and still list on .com

Or, there may be a company near you that will take your items for you to the US and ship them via USPS.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

There are a few of those freight forwarding companies around, and I don't have personal experience with them, but chitchatexpress is used by many sellers and most seem pleased.

They have outlets in Toronto and Vancouver, perhaps in Calgary as well?

There are others.

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/ChitChat-Express-Canada/m-p/411390#M98852

Their small fees are offset by fewer border hassles and the time you save.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Thank you so much for replying, I'll look into that service. Thank you.

I'm trying to clear everything in my storage at the other side of the border. I'm not thinking about making this into a full time business as I'm teaching part time and holding another full time job back in Canada. I'm looking for a hassle free way to clear my things on the other side. I've also read somewhere here that there's a Nexus pass that will help Canadians cross into the US. Does it help? 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Do I have to pay the listing fee again if I close an item on the US site?

The only thing that stopping me from selling on the US site is the hassle of going through customs. Canadian customs seems more polite on the way back.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Depending where you are located you can use a crossborder shipper and still sell as if you were located in the states. Here are a few:

Chit Chats Express can be found at chitchats.com (Vancouver area, Toronto area, Montreal, Halifax, with other cities being added).

RunninRed.com (Winnipeg)

StallionExpress.ca (Toronto)

For several Alberta locations there is DYKpost.com

https://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Shipping/m-p/414532

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@rubenshub wrote:
Do I have to pay the listing fee again if I close an item on the US site?

The only thing that stopping me from selling on the US site is the hassle of going through customs. Canadian customs seems more polite on the way back.

Hi Rubens!

Yes if you close the item and create another you'll pay the listing fee again.

As a note, you can sell anywhere in the world from .COM or .CA or wherever. (My store is on .COM and I list items on both .COM and .CA, and  I could if I desired list on .AU etc too).

So as long as you don't mind paying the store fees in US$  you don't have to axe the items. Just  change your location that shows in the listing to Canada, and you will have to fix your shipping costs to flat rate shipping*, unless you utilize something like chitchats express etc. (there may be other things you need to do, I've never done this so there may be more "to do"s. I'm sure someone will correct/add to my thoughts as necessary)

*This is probably going to be a problem for the kind of stuff you sell, although I've been flat rate shipping stuff up to bankers boxes "forever" so it can be done.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply