How do I offer combined shipping/give a partial refund?

Hello,

I'm a new seller and I'm having some troubles with combined shipping and need some advice.

I recently had someone purchase 2 items from me, but they said they could not request a total from me even though I have "Allow buyers to send one combined payment for all items purchased" enabled in my Manage Shipping settings.

So I said I would give them a partial refund and remove the pricing of the shipping of the second item on the invoice. However, the seller paid for both of the items, and I don't see any option to combine the 2 items since they're both paid for in "My eBay Sold" section with the full shipping total. I went to paypal and there are 2 transactions from the seller, neither have an option for partial refund when clicking on transaction details.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mcrlmn
Community Member

@dvscollectibles wrote:

I went to paypal ... neither have an option for partial refund when clicking on transaction details.

Go to the transaction at PayPal.

Click on the "Refund this payment" button:

Screenshot-2021-1-22 PayPal Transaction Details.png

Change the amount in the "Total Refund Amount" box to whatever you want to partially refund:

screenshot-www.paypal.com-2021.01.22-22_48_33.png

Note in the example below, I have changed the amount to $1.94, and you can also see that PayPal has also made an partial refund/adjustment:

Screenshot-2021-1-22 Issue Refund - PayPal.png

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Are you listing on two sites (dotCA and dotCOM, for example)?

EBay can't combine those, part of the problem being that they would be in different currencies.

I went to paypal and there are 2 transactions from the seller, neither have an option for partial refund when clicking on transaction details.

If you go to the top of the PP page you should see  Tools-> Send Money

From there you can... ummm.... send money... to cover the partial refund.

Remember that you will be paying 10% of the buyer's shipping payment to eBay and that you have a fuel surcharge and sales tax in the shipping fee. Also you are paying for packaging. But you might be getting a small rebate on the cost of shipping with some services.

Take your time. You want to give your customer a fair refund but what he sees as the shipping fee is not your actual cost.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I only listed on eBay.ca

Yes I'm aware of that, thanks for the advice. I just thought you would have to go through eBay first based off this from the ebay help pages:

"If you received payment through PayPal, here's how to send a refund for postage costs:

1. Go to the Orders tab of Seller Hub or the Sold section of My eBay.
  2. Choose one of the items that the buyer purchased and from the dropdown select View the PayPal Transaction.
  3. You will be redirected to PayPal where you can offer a partial refund to the seller for the excess shipping they paid."

There's no option for View the Paypal Transaction. Am I supposed to ask the seller for their email via eBay message then send them the partial refund through Paypal? Also, what about the tracking info, will eBay allow 2 different items to have the same tracking info if I can't combine the two?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

@dvscollectibles wrote:

I went to paypal ... neither have an option for partial refund when clicking on transaction details.

Go to the transaction at PayPal.

Click on the "Refund this payment" button:

Screenshot-2021-1-22 PayPal Transaction Details.png

Change the amount in the "Total Refund Amount" box to whatever you want to partially refund:

screenshot-www.paypal.com-2021.01.22-22_48_33.png

Note in the example below, I have changed the amount to $1.94, and you can also see that PayPal has also made an partial refund/adjustment:

Screenshot-2021-1-22 Issue Refund - PayPal.png

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Literally just figured it out before you posted, thank you though!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

That was a great question and it's a better question now that payment are not made through paypal?

I guess partial refund is not an option anymore.

Nathalie Robichaud

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

1.png

2.png

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@novaehobbies 

As mcrimm is showing, you are in MP, partial refunds can be done on ebay through the order details.

In sellers hub there is the option to do a refund when you click on the arrow next to the sale.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply