How do you determine your selling price?

I have a CD that is rare, OOP and in demand.  There is only 3 listed on ebay, $59, $79 (from Japan) and New $202 (from Germany) as USD.   On Ebay, one sold for $59 USD (Japan) and one sold at auction for $13.50 (Japan) USD.  On the river, there is one for $241 USD (germany).  On discogs, 5 selling for $46 to $67.  All from Europe, except for one from the US.  

Normally most of my CD's are under $20, so a dollar here or there is not an issue but when you have such a range, I have a hard time.  I am not in a hurry but would like a good price.   I was thinking about listing it for $74.99 and if it doesn't sell in a month put it on sale for 10% off. 

Several (rare) CD's I have listed, sold within a minute of listing so it was probably too low.  I am just having a brain freeze here. 

I just wonder how do you determine what you will sell it for?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

It really all depends on how much you originally paid for the CD? You're ahead of the game with the others listed internationally so definitely more flexibility. Start a little high and then, if you so choose you have the option to come down. As long as you are making a profit(after covering your purchase price and fees), everything else is gravy. Best of luck and hopefully it turns into the golden goose for you!!!

-Lotz

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

If it were mine I would definitely try a 7 day auction setting the start price at an amount equal to or above the last few sales on ebay sites worldwide. So perhaps a start price of 50 -60 USD might attract one or more bidders. 

This sort of auction strategy is akin to a standard BIN listing only with an upside option. Never attach a BIN price to this sort of auction. Use a high start price alone.

If no sale at auction then revert to standard 10 - 30 BIN format. My 2 cents FWIW.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I don't have too much luck with auctions, I used to when I sold clothes but that was pre 2008. 

Most CD's are not in demand and the odd one may get a high price but this particular jazz CD although rare, needs a certain type of buyer that just doesn't come along every day.  I'll try the 74.99 USD and see how that goes.  I will come back to this thread and let everyone know if it sells and for how much.  

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Over the years I've sold many items that are relatively rare, OOP or OOAK, and I find that pricing them about 20% above the midway point between researched sale prices on eBay, at a 30-day BIN with Best Offer has always worked well.   If the item hasn't sold at the end of the 30-day period, I re-evaluate.  

Another strategy I'd suggest: with rarer types of items, there are likely buyers or collectors out there looking for it specifically, so be sure to complete the item specifics as carefully and fully as you can, and include good pictures.   Also, listing with one of the add-on options (like bold or Gallery Plus) if you can afford it, may help to get more attention.  Lastly, there are the paid promotions to consider, which might be worth it if you can get a good price.  

Best of luck! 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I'd build the cost of shipping with tracking into the asking price (Canada and US) and offer Free Shipping.

Are all the listings across the internet from different sellers? Or is one seller using different sites? This affects the actual number available.

Congratulations on your find and best wishes on meeting that special buyer.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply