How do you feel when buyer(s) say....

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have many listings with make offer and got many buyers going saying "I am disabled and would appreciate if you accept my offer" which is often way tooooo low.

Should I bow and take pity?  I think now.  Do you go to Walmart and say "I am disabled and would like those prices to be lowered"???  I am disabled too but don't do that.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

amcdc79
Community Member

I thank them for their offer, tell them it's too low and either counter with another offer or move on. On low offers, the less said the better. I might even block depending on their response.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Personally I have never encountered any truly disabled people asking me to lower my price using their disability as the reason. If anything, when I sell at local events and I get a disabled buyer, I'd give them a discount without them asking. I had this young adult (clearly mentally disabled) who bought $40 worth of things from me, so I handed him $5 change and told him I'll give him a $5 discount since he bought quite a few things... that apparently really confused him and he asked me, "Oh, what should I do with the $5?" confounded lol so I told him he could use it to buy something else that he liked... then he left still looking confused thinking I don't think he understood my gesture but hopefully he bought something else he liked with that $5!

He asked me if I had a certain item, I showed him what I have and I was pretty shocked that he bought all of them. I even asked him if he was absolutely sure that he wanted all of them and he said yes. I hope he didn't carry too much cash on him since he struck me as the type that buys on impulse... disappointed_relieved I didn't see any guardian near him, but if a guardian brought him back that day and asked to return what he bought, I'd have gladly refunded him. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I'm the same as AMC, I respond exactly the same as I would for anyone else.
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Ditto!

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

And your dog ran away, and your truck broke down, and your gramma's parole was revoked.....

Either you can afford it or not.

But if you wanna get in a "more disabled than thou" battle, bring it.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

This recent one still makes me shake my head!!!

"Please please send them to me(For Free) please I promise I won’t tell anyone. My address is xxxx USA"

Received that message after the order had been approved for cancelling by eBay.

-Lotz

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Here is what I think is some good advice for you: don't  use: "Make An Offer".

You are telling the buyers that your listing price is no good and you will accept less money.

Put a reasonable price on it and wait for it to sell.

No messing around with dumb questions and low ball offers.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

As someone who is actually considered disabled, I don't like it. The great thing for me is that I can come back (will all honesty), that I am disabled too and I cannot afford to lose money as I don't receive any money from the government.  This is my only way to make any money

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Best Offers - I set them with the minimum price I will consider, any offer made under that price and I do not even see as it gets automatically declined...

...I usually see them when I am updating the listing or it sold to another individual usually at asking price or close too... (patience is a virtue, and doing research before you list an item is too).

FREE Shipping (THERE IS NO SUCH THING as FREE SHIPPING) - Canada Post does not give me free shipping, nor do I give free shipping. I may give a discount on shipping for large purchases.

And, if I do offer free shipping on an item the cost is built into my asking price.

Sob Stories - amusing, funny, sad and pathetic (that the individual sinks so low).

Depending on the offer(s) they make sometimes I send back my own "sob story" or "counteroffers" with a 1 cent discount then I block that individual....

.... and always read the FB they leave for others, it can be eyeopening.  

Real shoppers tend to ask questions beforehand and usually ask about combined shipping. They make "Fair" offers (because they actually researched what it is they are shopping for) or just use the Buy it Now and pay, 

I have been on here since 2001, I have seen it all, and then some...

eBay today is a shell of what it used to be, which was USED GOODS. If it was not for my regular Buyers and word of mouth, I really would think twice about selling on this platform as a new seller in 2019.

Like I say all the time I am on eBay to make ends meet, I am one person selling to make some money, selling things I like...

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Actually that is not good advice, some shoppers will make multiple offers on different items.

I just had one shopper make 16 offers for different items, it resulted in a great total sale.

Best Offers just like Good till Cancelled listing work just fine...

....you just have to take the time to set them up correctly.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I think that you have answered your own question !

Message 12 of 12
latest reply