How to calculate import fees and tax for selling and shipping an item to US buyers?

lud-4367
Community Member

A buyer in the states wants to know how much of import fees and tax will be applied to the item they buy from me in canada. When ebay didn't charge taxes to every sales in canada, there were no import fees applied for the items sold by non professional sellers based on my experience. Since I haven't sold any expensive items to us buyers recently, I'm not sure how much of import fees will be applied. The item costs $150 + $100 shipping. It's a big vintage light stand. Could someone share your knowledge on this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

How to calculate import fees and tax for selling and shipping an item to US buyers?

marnotom!
Community Member

Taxes are applied to the sale by eBay when the buyer confirms their purchase through Checkout and are whatever the buyer pays in state and local sales taxes. The value of the item is too low for duties to kick in, so there’s no reason to worry about that. If the item is being sent through the postal system, there’s also no reason for your buyer to be concerned about any other customs clearance-related charges levied upon receipt. (Probably just as true if the item is sent through a commercial carrier, too.)

Having said all that, it's really the importer's responsibility to know this stuff or how to find it out.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@marnotom! wrote:

The value of the item is too low for duties to kick in, so there’s no reason to worry about that.

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. What is the maximum value of an item for duties to kick in? 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Maximum or minimum? 😁

Duties kick in at the US$800 mark.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

That helps. I appreciate it. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply