How to get $US into Paypal Account

Prior to managed payments I always had $US in my PP account, but now I'm constantly running out of American $s for my eBay purchases.

Does anyone know how to transfer $US from my $US dollar checking account where eBay deposits my $ to my PP $US dollar account?

I tried linking my $US checking account to PP but it wouldn't take.

I'm wondering if a gift card might work.  Has anyone managed to do this?  Conversion fees are a b_____.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: How to get $US into Paypal Account

Are your payments from eBay being deposited into a US$ or $C account?  If it is $US do they have a debit card that you could use to pay for purchases on eBay?

There is something on the US site now where you can hold some funds so that they don't go into your bank account and they can be used for eBay purchases.  I can't remember the name of that option and suspect Canadians can't use it yet but you might want to look into it on case we are able to use it in the future.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

My eBay payments are in $US into my Canadian bank account.  Since eBay can get in there and withdraw payments in $US, I should also be able to transfer my $US to my $US PP account.  However, when I tried to connect that account to PP it didn't take.

It would be handy to be able to pay for stuff before eBay transfers my money to my account.  I'll check it out. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I think the problem with using a debit card is that it wouldn't work for my $US checking account.  I'm trying to figure out a way to avoid conversion fees which are considerable.

Before managed payment I always had lot of $US in PP.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I don't think you can.   Pre-Managed Payments, Paypal has always refused to transfer $US to Canadian based accounts, even if $US accounts.   What you are looking at is the reverse of that, and I suspect it is the same.  The conversion premium is pure gravy for them.

eBay has the option of using a credit card directly instead of using Paypal, perhaps you can use a $US credit card directly to do that.  Depending on the volume you do, the fee for a $US credit card may be way better than the conversion fees.  

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks.  I'll check that out.  Maybe it's possible to get a $US credit card or a debit card for that account as PJ suggested.

Since eBay can withdraw from the account I should be able to as well.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You could take the 90 minute drive to Buffalo and open a US bank account, transfer your funds from your CA USD account to the US one and then transfer from there to PayPal.

You might be able to open an account online instead of in person but the later would be quick and easy. Compared to a US resident you only need one extra simple form (W BEN-8), this form will let you avoid any withholding tax on earned interest for the account. The form is not "required" and actually unnecessary if no interest is earned on the account.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply