How to handle shipping labels for pre-orders

jiym3524
Community Member
Hello, I'm fairly new to selling and I just made my first sale for an item that will not ship until July. I couldn't figure out how to set the listing to reflect that, but I made sure to make it clear in my ad. I also followed up with the buyer to let them know estimated shipping date. My only concern is what to do with the shipping label that ebay provides. Do I print it now and save it until the item is ready to ship? Or do I just wait until the item is ready before I print it off?
Thank you in advance for any assistance that anyone can provide.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

EBay doesn't 'provide'  you with a label, they provide you with the ability to print one here.  The buyer has paid you for the label and you can buy it it on a few different t places.   I would not recommend printing one now.  I'm not sure how long a label can be used for but even if it is good for few months,  you don't want to print and pay for a label now as there is always the possibility that you won't need to use it.

A couple of other comments...

EBay rule for preorders is that they are shipped within 30 days of purchase. Also, whenever  you are listing something you pick a handling time on the listing and you are required to ship within that time.  Your handling time was 2 business days. The buyer is given an estimated delivery date based on that handling time.  The estimated delivery varies on the buyers location but if I had bought it, delivery time to Alberta is estimated to be within 10 business days.  

That means that a buyer could file an item not received claim after that time.  A buyer can only open an eBay claim up to 30 days after the estimated delivery date.  So this is just a head up that the buyer can open a claim long before you receive the item.  

Also, eBay often holds payments until delivery when the seller is newish or if the item is a high value. That means that you may have a problem receiving the funds before the item is shown as to be delivered to the buyer.   I'm not sure how eBay handles it if the item still isn't showing delivered after 90 days. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/listing-policies/presale-policy?id=4252&st=12&pos=1&query=Presale%...

Presale policy

Presale listings must clearly state that they are “presale” in the title and description, and guarantee shipment within 30 days of purchase.

In order to protect buyer and seller guarantees, presale listings must follow eBay policy, including listing the date the item will be available to ship.

What is the policy?

• Presale listings must guarantee that the item will be shipped within 30 days of purchase
  • The date the item will be available to ship must be clearly stated in the listing
  • Listings must clearly indicate in the title and description that the item is being offered for presale
  • Handling time details should include the time it will take the seller to acquire the item, in addition to the time it will take the seller to deliver the package to the shipping carrier

Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Given the long waiting period, the high value, the high fraud category, and your new account, don't count on having your customer's payment in your bank account until sometime in August.

To speed this up slightly, list and sell more items that you actually already have in your hands. You can apply to have restrictions dropped every 30 days, and the more completed sales and happy customers you have the faster that will happen.

It looks as if you already have your Managed Payments account set up, so you have that going in your favour.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply