How to request: limitations selling multiple similar items

b-chan
Community Member

just puzzling over how to best do this, forgive the stupidity

I have a truckload of loose action figures, including many duplicates which are the same but maybe not exact due to condition (scuff, loose joint etc)

I had considered putting them as variations and letting the buyer pick, but this is only for fixed price (no offers) and I wanted to give a little more flexibility

I had run an ad, and then offered second chance, but it seems like that got ignored.

if I put them up as individual ads, will this run afoul of duplicates? is this probably the best way of doing it? I have 30 of one figure and didnt want to have to make 30 ads.

does anyone have a brilliant way of listing this kind of situation?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you have actual duplicates -- as in two or more identical items, new in box-- then you can just list them as  "Violet Power Ranger NIB "  with a quantity of 2 or 4 or whatever.

If they are out of the box etc I think your best bet would be to list them one at a time, with the exact picture of what the collector is going to get and the exact differences ( only one arm, base is loose, unpainted, scraped paint, etc) described for each one. Because those are so different, you could have five Violet Power Rangers* in five separate listings. I would suggest that you tag each with its own inventory number, both on the figure or its package and in the listing.

You are right not to overload the listings. Make up your drafts but only put a few up at a time.

Action figures are not my field, but keep in mind that you have a ... how to put this... fussy ?... entitled?... demographic.  I would suggest that as well as Fixed Price you use Immediate Payment Required particularly on your nicest examples.

Note that if you accept a Best Offer, Immediate Payment Required disappears.

You can set up Best Offers to have a Minimum Acceptable which will automatically reject any offer below that price and a Accept Offers Over which will automatically accept offers over a given price.

I'd also like to toss in encouragement to try Promoted Listings. You set your payment (I use one percent) and only pay that if the Promoted Listing sells.

Which it might, but more importantly it seems in my experience that buyers take time to look at your other listings and are more likely to buy those.

And if the Promoted Listing doesn't sell, you pay nothing.

With cons closed down for the forseeable future, and comic book stores struggling, there isn't much chance of a wholesale buyer. You might have some success with a bundled lot of several different Power Rangers (Violet, Puce, Magenta, Chartreuse, and Aquamarine all New No Box)

*There never was a  Violet Power Ranger was there? Not my fandom.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

If you have actual duplicates -- as in two or more identical items, new in box-- then you can just list them as  "Violet Power Ranger NIB "  with a quantity of 2 or 4 or whatever.

If they are out of the box etc I think your best bet would be to list them one at a time, with the exact picture of what the collector is going to get and the exact differences ( only one arm, base is loose, unpainted, scraped paint, etc) described for each one. Because those are so different, you could have five Violet Power Rangers* in five separate listings. I would suggest that you tag each with its own inventory number, both on the figure or its package and in the listing.

You are right not to overload the listings. Make up your drafts but only put a few up at a time.

Action figures are not my field, but keep in mind that you have a ... how to put this... fussy ?... entitled?... demographic.  I would suggest that as well as Fixed Price you use Immediate Payment Required particularly on your nicest examples.

Note that if you accept a Best Offer, Immediate Payment Required disappears.

You can set up Best Offers to have a Minimum Acceptable which will automatically reject any offer below that price and a Accept Offers Over which will automatically accept offers over a given price.

I'd also like to toss in encouragement to try Promoted Listings. You set your payment (I use one percent) and only pay that if the Promoted Listing sells.

Which it might, but more importantly it seems in my experience that buyers take time to look at your other listings and are more likely to buy those.

And if the Promoted Listing doesn't sell, you pay nothing.

With cons closed down for the forseeable future, and comic book stores struggling, there isn't much chance of a wholesale buyer. You might have some success with a bundled lot of several different Power Rangers (Violet, Puce, Magenta, Chartreuse, and Aquamarine all New No Box)

*There never was a  Violet Power Ranger was there? Not my fandom.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

The first thing to do is look at what is already being sold on eBay,  and then the condition of these items being sold.

The second thing to do is compare the condition of your items  in relation to listings already on eBay.

The final question.... Should one list damaged items on eBay?  

Trying to sell damaged items  must be questioned....   

Do they have, minor damage... or lots of damage?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

not damaged, just not "identical" as per brand new sealed package items. 

femmefan1946 is right about the buyers, I know because I am also a collector. 

the question was not what to sell, but how to sell it

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

If you have items that have the original box in... perfect... like new... condition and have never been removed from the box... they can be listed as brand new....  with the number for sale in one listing.... not too many listed at the same time.

If these items are still being made today... then the condition of the item is important....  items in poor or very poor condition will most likely never sell if listed.

If you have items that are no longer being manufactured  then condition is important.... especially if you have the original box.... These items become defined as collectible.

Having the original box makes an item more valuable.  The better the condition of the box makes it more valuable.

With "used" items,  photographs  and identification of points of wear are most important....

Verbal descriptions are most important... It is not enough to say.... look at the photographs....

List your items in the best condition first...  and then list more as they sell..

Putting up ten "old"  of the same item, in ten listings or in one listing, the same time will reduce the value of each item being listed....

Do not overprice... You have many of the same item to sell

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

There is no brilliant way of selling the items.... 

It just means lots of work... and taking the time to sell the items...

With many of the same item to sell... it may not be possible to eventually to sell all of the same item.

People come and buy... and continue to buy... until  there are no new buyers showing up to buy.

Then potential buyers no longer show up in high numbers

There have been sellers who have come to eBay with something new to sell...  and have done well for a few months....  and then sales die.... less people looking for what these sellers have for sale.

and then... there could be other sellers of the same item... competition.. who underprice you....

Therefore it is important to sell items in the best of condition first....

Message 6 of 6
latest reply