I am done with insuring my items!

I don't understand way some buyers just don't care to help when they receive an item damaged. They just want a refund.

I asked this buyer ( buyer in USA ) to please fill the insurance claim and send more pictures. This way the insurance can let me know if the buyer can dispose of it, instead of sending it back.

He hasn't answered my messages. 
I don't understand it would take him a few minutes to do it and I could close his claim.

I paid the insurance and upgraded the service to express post at my expenses.

I have decided to forget the insurance from now on unless you guys know of one in which I don't have to relay on the buyer to have the claim honoured..

Sorry for the runt but I am really disappointed by the luck of cooperation from buyers.

I will wait until tomorrow and then give him the refund.

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Don't insurance must be claimed by shipper?

Buyer's insurance is eBay/paypal/etc , don't shipping insurance is shipper's insurance

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

On the basis of the buyer not cooperating, you might be able to contact eBay and have them appeal, or cover you for the refund. It's best to contact their eBay for business page on Twitter, Facebook, etc, and explain the situation. Ask them what your options are to not take the loss. I don't know what their policy is in this situation, but from time to time sellers do get lucky with courtesy refunds in scenarios where they aren't to blame.

If the buyer has not opened an actual return, and has only messaged you just leave it. Let them know that you are more than happy to assist them with the insurance process, but if they do not wish to participate in a claim you cannot offer a refund for carrier damages. In this scenario, as long as they do not open a return with eBay it's over with unless they change their mind and give the insurance the info. The return window will eventually close, and you did the right thing by helping to open an insurance claim. If the buyer refuses to cooperate, there is nothing you can do.

If after this they open a return, you have to contact eBay and explain the situation to see if eBay might be able to cover you due to the buyer refusing to participate in the insurance process. Unless you get really lucky and eBay nerfs the return, you will still have to respond to the return by any deadline and provide a return shipping label. After the item is returned, eBay might cover you in some way.

After that, the worst thing that can happen is the buyer can leave you a negative feedback. If they do that, eBay will likely remove it for you because you provided good customer service and the buyer did not act in good faith. If you receive a negative feedback that is in bad faith, go to this link, scroll down to 'email us', and then explain the situation: https://www.ebay.ca/help/selling/selling/seller-levels-performance-standards/appeal-defect?id=4871

For high volume sellers who do not sell expensive items, insurance at an extra cost is usually not worth it unless it is very cheap. Usually it is cheaper in the long run to pocket the insurance cost and cover any losses with "self-insurance". An example is that the US shipping service I use called Chit Chats offers insurance for a very low rate of 49 cents for the first $100. Let's say I send 700 packages a year to the US, self insurance (aka putting 49 cents into a jar instead of giving it to the carrier) nets me $343 per year. You can't pick and choose which packages are going to be lost or destroyed. So if my average sale price is $30, I have to refund 12 or more packages a year before self insurance doesn't make sense. Odds are, out of 700 packages, 1 or 2 might be lost or damaged not 12.

Now do that formula with a different shipping service that charges a few dollars for insurance, and it will quickly become apparent that insurance doesn't make much sense for high volume sellers.

Insurance is more useful for casual or low volume sellers, especially those that are selling more expensive items. If refunding an order out of pocket would be a huge ordeal, I would gamble on insurance, even if the customer complying is not guaranteed. 

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Have you ever made any successful insurance claims for damaged in transit?

You would be lucky to get paid off 1 out of 10 times.

Shipper insurance works fine for lost packages (rare) if tracking never shows deliverd status. A damage claim unless it gets crushed by a truck usually results in a "insufficient packaging" decision.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Unfortunately, eBay does not require buyers to help with insurance claims.  I agree that it would be frustrating but there is no incentive for them to do so.   

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Yes insurance is claimed by the shipper but the insurance company often requires info from the buyer befire they will look at a claim.

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

This is why many sellers use Cookie Jar Insurance.

This is just putting aside a small amount, maybe a dime, from every sale in a virtual Cookie Jar, as a self-insurance premium for situations like this.

Because the need for insurance is so low, those virtual dimes can add up.

When the transaction goes bad, the shipment is delayed (more common than loss, and not covered by third party insurance), damaged in transit (usually claims will be refused for poor packaging), or something we did ourselves (sending the red sweater instead of the blue one, or worse, sending the doohickey to Buyer #1 and the hickeydoo to Buyer #2 when the purchases were reversed) we cover our costs from the Cookie Jar.

The Cookie Jar even covers the cost of Return Selling Labels.

Further, because we are not buying third party insurance, our costs are lower.

The more you are selling, the more virtual dimes in the virtual Cookie Jar of course. But again, these situations don't come up often.

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Your buyer has 30 days for a Not As Described claim with eBay.

Has he opened that?

If he has  send the return shipping label. You can do this through Shippo*.

If he does not return the item, you win the Claim, he cannot leave feedback, and the unused label will eventually be credited to you.

If he does, and the item is fine, refund him, Block him, relist the item.

If he does and the item is damaged as he said, refund him and apologize politely.

If you do NOT refund him, eBay will  and will come after your for their money. They have access to your chequing account for fee payments, remember. The buyer will be able to leave feedback. You will get a Defect on your account which can lead to higher fees, restrictions on the number and value of your listings, or even a closed selling account.

In any case, you should refund as soon as possible and deal with the insurance later. Insurance covers YOU not the buyer.

EBay's Money Back Guarantee covers the buyer.

Actually both Paypal and his credit card also cover the buyer for up to 180 days.

*While most people are honest, some scammers make false claims believing Canadians cannot buy USPS labels.  More fool them.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

The buyer opened a claim for a damaged item a week after he received it.

He never contacted me. I contacted him assuring him that he is going to get a full refund.
I contacted the insurance (Shipsurance). They sent a link to a form for the buyer to fill and a few more pictures. The representative told me just by that they can close the claim and I wouldn't need the item back. I explained to the buyer that by giving those information I would know if I need the item back and send him a label.
I don't need the item back. It would be more money spent by me for not nothing.

I sent him the information and the link asking for his help in the matter. I have not heard back.

I cannot contact the insurance at this time as the office is closed for holidays.

I will contact eBay and see what they can do.
 I have until the 5th to respond.

Also Fam I only insure my high end items. But I will have to look at my options.

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

"The buyer opened a claim for a damaged item a week after he received it."

This part makes me suspicious. If I received a damaged item myself, I would be upset and most likely respond right away. Could be they have overspent on Christmas and are looking for a little money back!?

This reminds me of a case I had a few years ago when a buyer reached out to me about a week after receiving an item saying the doll was missing the tip of her nose. I knew the doll was fine when she left, I had 12 photos in my listing and she was bubble wrapped and boxed. My first thought was maybe the buyer had sliced the nose themselves while opening the package or maybe customs had opened it with exacto and it happened. I reached out and asked if they thought it could be a possibility and they responded back rudely saying I was the one who sent out a damaged item! For some reason I thought the buyers name sounded familiar and I looked back at my recent auctions and saw she had been bidding on another of my items almost a week after receiving the so-called damaged one. I asked why, if she was so unhappy with my item was she trying to get another item from me. Then came the silence, she never responded to that, nothing further happened, she left it alone, guess I caught her in a lie and she backed away.

Hope it works out for you.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Unfortunately the insurance wants the affidavit filled by him and more pics.

if you know of any other way to deal with what the insurance wants, please let me know.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Thanks. I cannot exclude that scenario.

He hasn't communicated with me at all, which is indicating he won't and I am on my own with this one.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

@rio1953 wrote:

if you know of any other way to deal with what the insurance wants, please let me know.

@rio1953 wrote:

@rio1953 

Because a sale was completed, if you are not having any luck reaching the buyer by email you can call them directly and explain the situation. No guarantees they will pick up. Many buyers/sellers if they do not recognize the number refuse to answer. It's a shot. If you are able to get in touch with your buyer, document any discussions so ebay has records of what you agreed to or didn't. Hope that helps you get to the finish line!!

-Lotz

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Either the buyer is right or he is lying.

Get the damaged item back and protect your eBay account, since Defects are more expensive than shipping labels.

Even if the buyer will be returning a box of glass shards.

It sounds at this  point as if the buyer wants to have a refund and keep the "damaged" item.

I am old and cranky.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Hi Lotz, yesterday I contacted eBay through chat and the representative said that since the item is insured the buyer has to fill the affidavit and send more pictures as requested by the insurance. Also ebay rep said they will contact the buyer to let him know that he has to comply with the request and for me to continue contacting him. This will be recorded and be part of the claim....Any thoughts about this? How much faith should I put in this?

Hope the insurance office is open today. I would like to see if there is any other way to resolve this.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

I only bother with it if it is a really expensive item, and of course there is the $100 included on most shipments that normally covers me for outright losses.  Never made a claim though, as the couple of times there was shipping damage I could see it came down to my packing.     

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Also ebay rep said they will contact the buyer to let him know that he has to comply with the request and for me to continue contacting him.

devon@ebay 

Happy New Year!

Any advice? The Chat employees usually are trustworthy.

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

You would think....but then I got one yesterday that without even reading the notes of the previous rep started to give me the runaround until I got tired and told him " seems to me you haven't even read the notes from the previous rep" only then he ( the new rep ) started reconsider what he had said. 
I wasn't really happy with our interaction ( didn't help that some of his sentences and spelling were wrong ). I had no confidence in this rep, I decided to call in and I got someone that took the time to read the chat and my interaction with the buyer and told me that eBay had reached out to the buyer and asked him to comply with the request. Plus told me to wait until the 4th for him to reply and if he doesn't to contact them and have eBay deal with it.

input anybody?

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

How much faith should I put in this?

About as much faith as you would have in everyone fulfilling their New Year resolutions? 
Seriously, I've never heard of eBay requiring a buyer to do any of that and I find it hard to believe.  I suppose there is always a first time, I guess we will see. 

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

you used chit chats didnt you? haha.  I dont say that to poke fun at your situation but because I learned the same lesson thru their insurer a couple years ago by being told to follow the yellow brick road of this and that form and pictures blah blah blah.  the process is a smokescreen - they have no intention of paying you out - its total waste of time and I never saw a cent.  After that I stopped buying insurance altogether. 

What someone said above about being lucky to get paid out one time out of ten is probably accurate.  

Message 20 of 20
latest reply