I had an item for sale and had a few bids on it. Not long after it ended the buyer cancelled it.

I have not heard 1 word from the buyer to tell me why they cancelled. I contacted ebay but have not heard back from them. I'm not sure what to do. I thought ebay would relist it but has not done this yet. I'm not sure what a second chance is and if it cost. I'm just mad that a buyer can do this and get away with it. You can't even leave bad feedback for them and they can get away with this. Makes you mad.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I had an item for sale and had a few bids on it. Not long after it ended the buyer cancelled it.

What do you mean 'the buyer cancelled it'?

The seller (you) can send the buyer a Request for  a Mutual Cancellation. But the buyer cannot unilaterally initiate a cancellation.

If YOU did not initiate the MC, or if YOU did not have eBay cancel the sale (because the winner was somewhere you do not want to ship, for example) the transaction is still open.

If the winning bidder has not paid, go to the Resolution Centre which is in the dropdown menu up on the right under Help and Contact.

Start an Unpaid Item Dispute.

If the bidder does not pay, the transaction is cancelled, you get your fees back,and you are free to either offer a Second Chance to one of your other bidders or to re-list. EBay will not relist for you.The choice is yours.

The deadbeat bidder gets a Strike for non=-payment. Many if not most sellers have an automatic Block **against bidders who have Strikes making it difficult for her to bid on eBay. Multiple Strikes will get her booted off the site.

Do you mean a bidder cancelled her bid? No biggie. Better that than chasing an unwilling winner who will never pay. But in that case one of the other bidders would have won.

Second Chances are free. But if any time has passed, like 48 hours, your other bidders have moved on.

In future, go first to the automated system. Trying to get a human being is difficult and while the reps try, you still will be referred to the automated system, which handles thousands* of disputes daily very efficiently.

*Don't panic. At any given moment, eBay has some 800 MILLION listings. Disputes really are rare.

** Strikes are much more efficient in dealing with deadbeats. Most sellers only learn who their customers are after purchase, because most sellers use Fixed Price not Auction.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

BTW-- you posted this to the eBay Canada boards.

Did you know that if I bought that red Coach purse for $50 that I would pay nearly $40 for shipping, duty, tax and service charges to the Global Shipping Program?

Did you know that eBay suggests that items valued under $50 NOT be shipped by the GSP?

Did you know you are signed up for the GSP? A lot of sellers got sucked into it early on.

If your buyer was in Canada, this may be the beginning of the problem.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply