I have a .com account and a .ca account and I am confused!

vmcthm
Community Member

Until recently I was a "snowbird" spending winters in California and summers in Canada. I have an ebay.com account linked to my US Paypal and bank accounts. I have an eBay.ca account linked to my Canadian PayPal and bank.

I am no longer planning on spending winter in the US and I want to start selling in Canada. I still have all my US Paypal, bank and ebay.com accounts.

My ebay.ca account says my region is USA. I don't know why but it does. And as a result the postal rate settings are all USPS.

How do I change the region to Canada and sell on eBay.ca?

Or maybe I use the eBay.com account and sell from Canada into the US and set the rates instead of using a calculated rate?

I'd appreciate suggestions and advice on this. TIA

Vicki the shopkeeper
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @vmcthm - are you selling from this account? If so, it looks like everything you have is set up properly (from what I can see). 

I know this sounds silly, but double check you're on eBay.ca (a lot of times browsers will re-route you without you noticing). If you're still not seeing any CPC shipping options let me know!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Do NOT close the American bank account.

You can save on bank charges by having all your US dollar payments go to your US bank account.

Then either use it for buying (and not just on eBay) or transfer the money to your Canadian account without exchange fees.

On third though, this may only be viable if your US bank is TDNorth or RBCBank , which are subsidiaries of Canadian banks. But check it out anyway.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I’m with RBC and have an RBC Georgia account so I can easily and cheaply make cross border transfers. Before this was possible I had to use my Bank of America account which was a pain. When in Canada I had to withdraw money from one Canadian bank which had a relationship with BofA, then walk across the street to deposit the cash in RBC. Or if I was near the border, drive across, withdraw money, bring it back over the border, and then deposit it. We joked I was “laundering” my money.
Vicki the shopkeeper
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It looks good on your end, but when I list an item it presents only US shipping options because my region is set to US. I don’t know why it it set to that, and neither does ebay. One of their support techs has escalated it up the food chain to see why it isn’t set to Canada.
Vicki the shopkeeper
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

vmcthm
Community Member

@vmcthm wrote:

Or maybe I use the eBay.com account and sell from Canada into the US and set the rates instead of using a calculated rate?

Opinions on this would be appreciated. 

Should I just sell on .com with set rates instead of .ca with its calculated rates?

Vicki the shopkeeper
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yeah, the ebay techie and I both checked I was signed into my Cdn account and listing on .ca. I’m supposed to hear from someone higher up the tech chain “within 24 to 48 hours” and that includes the weekend, he said. *fingers crossed*
Vicki the shopkeeper
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

If you are listing on dotCOM, the domestic rate is the first group. You can use Calculated, but since you will be shipping from Canada now, you are probably better using Flat Rate.

Canada comes under International and will be a Flat Rate.

This may come in handy:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

If you decide to sell overseas later on, you can set more than one Flat Rate for different destinations.

Look for Choose Custom Destination in the drop down menu.

You are using the Advanced Sell Your Item form, not the default Simplified one, right?

Depending on your location, there are some forwarders who will accept your shipments in Canada and take them over the border for mailing. The name you will see most often here is chitchatexpress but there are others. There is a small charge for the service.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@vmcthm 

The phone reps seem to have a very difficult time figuring out site related things that are Canadian rather than US specific.  Are you trying to start a listing by using sell similar or by using a template or draft you've already started?   If you sign into .ca (or any ebay site) and then go to one of your current US listings and click on sell similar or revise you are going to be taken to the .com site and any new listing is going to be created on the US site with the US shipping options.

If you want to do a .ca listing you will have to start a brand new listing OR do a sell similar from your Royal Doulton listing which was created on .ca.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply