I offered economy shipping but the buyer chose expedited

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there. This eBay shipping is a bit of a two-edged sword, either that or I am doing something wrong. I offered economy shipping for my parcel, the customer chose expedited, I'm not sure if that's something eBay offered them? I am trying to purchase the shipping label but this new system eBay has implemented doesn't give me any lower option than expedited so I stand to lose $15 if I purchase the label. Ack! Last time this happened, I wound up just going over to Shippo for my shipping. I suppose I can just buy the label directly through Canada Post but why is eBay making this so difficult? If it weren't for this issue, the option to buy labels directly through eBay would actually be pretty handy. Suggestions please or am I doing something wrong with my shipping settings in my listings. Thanks for listening.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol. I guess it's been a while since I posted here, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to delete or at least update my own post. I figured out the problem, expedited is the only option when shipping to the US.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I'm assuming it's the Marion Zimmer Bradley Magazine Collection listing that sold yesterday......

Economy, Standard and Expedited are generic shipping terms they don't connect with a specific service

If the buyer is in the US you are offering Canada Post Expedited USA, if the buyer is in Canada you are offering generic "Economy" but in Canada there is no such service, the lowest service level Canada Post offers is Expedited Parcel (Regular Parcel is the same service if bought over the counter).

Normally when you offer a specific service level you should ship using that method. When you use generic terms you can really ship whatever way you want especially when your generic shipping, "economy" is the lowest level.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

but this new system eBay has implemented doesn't give me any lower option than expedited so I stand to lose $15 if I purchase the label.

You don't have to use eBay labels.

You can go directly to Canada Post.

https://sso-osu.canadapost-postescanada.ca/lfe-cap/en/login?stepupId=smb_mode1,consumer,commercial_l...

You do need your Solutions for Small Business number, but you need that for Shippo too, which is another choice.

"Economy" shipping is just a weasel word used because when you sell on dotCOM, you can't use their USPS services.

And you might be in any of 178 different countries around the world.

So Economy means whatever you want it to mean.

Just buy the Small Packet/ Tracked Packed/Expedited/ ExpressPost/ Priority label that fits your needs and budget.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

When shipping to the USA with Canada Post the 2kg (4.4 pound) weight limit is important. Under that you can use Small Packet USA or Tracked Packet USA instead of Expedited Parcel USA.

If the order has parts, you can check if mailing 2 packages is less expensive. Usually works best when near a dividing weight (for example: 1.9kg + 0.2kg instead of 2.1kg might be less expensive).

Alternatives:

netparcel.com - has discounted rates from UPS, FedEX, Purolator, and DHL for shipments to USA/Canada.

If travelling to Vancouver you could drop off at ChitChats.com (for example). They would take your package across the border and allow you to use USPS domestic rates.

-;-

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

I had not heard of netparcel, another one for the shipping quiver.  

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I've never used netparcel, heard about them because they made a deal with paypal.

netparcel will show as a choice if using paypal.com/shipnow

Message 7 of 7
latest reply