I`ve Always Defended Zero Feedback Buyers ......

....... and I still do.  In fact, there was a recent thread on this subject.

However, today I didn't know whether to get frustrated or just shake my head.  I chose the latter.

The buyer's membership date was the same as her bid on my $45 item ... so zero feedback.  She won the item but didn't pay the day the auction ended (which is often the case).  The second day, I sent a note, like I often do to new members, thanking her for her purchase and offering to assist with any questions she might have or in making payment.  On the third day, she sent me a one-liner "Sorry, I found it cheaper elsewhere".

It wasn't the fact that she was a zero feedback buyer who reneged -- I can deal with that -- it was this flippancy that made me shake my head.  I get this so often with, usually, very young girls.  Just a general lack of courtesy and disregard for any policy which might be in place, or any inconvenience this might cause to the seller.  I'm old school and just wish younger generations were taught appropriate social and business conduct.  I know I sound like I'm blaming the parents but I guess I am to a large extent.  My mother was not above giving me a swat if I wasn't courteous or respectful.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Made an error in transcription, should read "Children are tyrants" not "Children are not tyrants" - excusez-moi!

Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Well, those are 'man bites dog' stories, outliers rather than the norm. And, I believe the teacher won his case in the end.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/edmonton-teacher-fired-for-breaking-no-zero-grading-policy-wins-appeal-...

As for literacy, I sell old postcards and reading those messages.... illiteracy is not only among today's young. There are way too many badly spelled, ungrammatical messages on those turn of the century cards. And illegible, so no fun for voyeurs like me to read.

I would like to see more schools teaching courses in life skills (we called it Home Economics) and media literacy. I'm not sure I ever used my Latin classes and couldn't use geometry as it was taught (and when I was designing wood stove installations, I could have ussed it), but cooking and understanding what an advertisement really was saying, rather than implying, I use daily.

Message 22 of 24
latest reply

In my opinion all teenageres should only be allowed to be to be disrespectful 3 times  while they are still teenagers ,after 3 strikes they must participate in an episode of A&E's scared straight and get yelled at  for 3 days by those burly men who can snap Arnold schwarzenegger's neck in heart beat.then and only then they'll know the true meaning of respect.

I can dream can't I,lol.

Message 23 of 24
latest reply

@maggiebvintage2010 wrote:

The more things change the more they stay the same.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.  Children are not tyrants, not the servants of their households.  They no longer rise when elders enter the room.  They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers."

------Socrates (469-399 B.C.)

I'm still chuckling about the use of the word "dainties" in this quote attributed to Socrates.  I once used that word with a friend from Toronto and she said "what the h--- are dainties?  I said they're small pastries .... what do you call them?  She said, we call them "small pastries".

Anyway, I've seen a few different versions of this quote but, in the event anyone is interested, the "Quote Investigator" has determined that:

"the author of the quote is not someone famous or ancient.

It was crafted by a student, Kenneth John Freeman, for his Cambridge dissertation published in 1907. Freeman did not claim that the passage under analysis was a direct quotation of anyone; instead, he was presenting his own summary of the complaints directed against young people in ancient times. The words he used were later slightly altered to yield the modern version. In fact, more than one section of his thesis has been excerpted and then attributed classical luminaries. Here is the original text [CAMB]:

The counts of the indictment are luxury, bad manners, contempt for authority, disrespect to elders, and a love for chatter in place of exercise.

Children began to be the tyrants, not the slaves, of their households. They no longer rose from their seats when an elder entered the room; they contradicted their parents, chattered before company, gobbled up the dainties at table, and committed various offences against Hellenic tastes, such as crossing their legs. They tyrannised over the schoolmasters."

Message 24 of 24
latest reply