I've noticed eBay upping the advertising campaign....

I've seen a few general ads on TV now, they appear to be geared more toward a younger audience though.

However the good news is that a couple times now I've received a specialized email through a US stamp publication that points one towards eBay, ie eBay is paying them to send it to the publication's distribution list.

I got the latest one yesterday, and I also noticed yesterday that my paid advertising impressions shot for the moon, 400% more (ie four times more) than normal impressions level! My impressions spiked a few times in the last couple months, until now I didn't know why, now I do because they've sent stuff out this way 2 or 3 times, at least that's how many I've received.

So this means eBay is paying for specialized advertising, at least in the philatelic (stamp) world and for certain it is bringing people to look at stuff in eBay!

(When I got the email, I poked around to see where/if I showed up, and I did, not at the top but good enough for a Canadian on .COM, although some competitors that I think are "worse" than me, seem to show up higher. Looks like the price I'm paying for 2 day handling time, they all had 1 day)

Anyway I thought it worthwhile to mention that I do see ebay doing things to bring buyers here......

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

I saw part of one commercial the other day. I was just passing by the TV so I didn't see much of it, but I remember it had someone asking a kid about eBay. Honestly it seemed a bit weird, but again I didn't see all of it so maybe in the context of the entire commercial it was better.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Remembers the kid that  bid 5000 usd for a wreckedcar

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Keep in mind that us Boomers are now outnumbered by the Millennials.

And they are not even the 18-24 tranche either. If the 'millennials ' are taken as 1990 on the eldest are now 27.

I just realized one of my nieces is 59. And her younger sister is a grandmother three times over.

Now Searching eBay for a rocking chair.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

lol Femme

I don't know but you don't seem like the rocking chair type.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Nothing wrong with a rocking chair as long as you have the red mustang convertible to go with it!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@thestuffofchris wrote:
I saw part of one commercial the other day. I was just passing by the TV so I didn't see much of it, but I remember it had someone asking a kid about eBay. Honestly it seemed a bit weird, but again I didn't see all of it so maybe in the context of the entire commercial it was better.

That one with the kid is plain weird. I don't actually have TV, I saw it online only but it's like some freckled kid is smiling because he got a new toy and this blonde lady asks him, "Did you check ebay?" and the kid immediately starts sobbing. Like WTH?! I guess it's supposed to be funny, like silly funny but kids crying about toys to me, as a parent and toy seller, is just uncomfortable. 

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

The closest I have is my old 2003 red dodge caravan... but then again I'm only "medium old".....
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If you read the US boards, this is an old commercial for a kid going to school and the Ebay stuff was all dubbed in

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Here is the original utube add

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US48w_j85LA

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I had no idea. That makes it substantially more clever. But only if you're media-aware enough to have seen the original piece.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

This link was a reporter making the kid cry when she mentioned missing his mom.

That's nothing like the commercial I've been seeing on TV, I've been around a long time, and I've never seen the eBay commercials I've been seeing lately in the past.

As I noticed and femme says, they're aimed at a younger generation than me.

TV commercials aren't going to be used for stamp collectors anyway, I'm much more pleased to see eBay specifically targeting philatelic oriented advertising at philatelists.

I would be interested to know if folks in other collectibles categories like coins, sportscards etc have noticed specifically targeted advertising?
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

I sure haven't. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

I went looking and found the commercial I saw a few times:

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-launches-new-brand-platform-fill-your-cart-with-color/

(it was launched June 5)

I also found the ones dutchman is talking about, including the remake of the kid crying ad, looks like that's the latest round of advertising.....

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I've seen only Facebook ads for the Fill Your Cart with Colour.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:
This link was a reporter making the kid cry when she mentioned missing his mom.

That's nothing like the commercial I've been seeing on TV, I've been around a long time, and I've never seen the eBay commercials I've been seeing lately in the past.

As I noticed and femme says, they're aimed at a younger generation than me.

TV commercials aren't going to be used for stamp collectors anyway, I'm much more pleased to see eBay specifically targeting philatelic oriented advertising at philatelists.

I would be interested to know if folks in other collectibles categories like coins, sportscards etc have noticed specifically targeted advertising?

Nada, zilch, goose egg

Message 16 of 18
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

They are advertising all over, the sports channels, even behind home plate at baseball games. Nice to see, hope it does what they want.

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I don't know but you don't seem like the rocking chair type.

DH plays bridge with Peggy.

When Peggy was 90, she bought herself a little red convertible.

But she's thinking it's time to sell it.

It's getting hard to climb in and out.

Peggy is 97.

Oak Bay, where retirees come to visit their grandparents.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply