INR passed delay

I have a buyer who opened a INR case passed the delay for money back guarantee. I had a few like this before but everytime i was just answering and buyers were closing the cases. Now buyer leave it open and said nothing. 

I don't understand how do we have no control on those cases that are outside rules. How do we decline or close those? I do not want to end with a case closed without resolution and i have no option to do anything other than normally (answer, add tracking, refund). eBay even putted my money on hold... Doesnt make any sense.

Can we just let them close after 4-days without any issue? Will eBay refund? 

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

INR passed delay

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

https://www.facebook.com/eBayForBusiness/ — Message button in upper right on landing page.
https://twitter.com/askebay?lang=en

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

Best to get the information from eBay.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

Back in the day, I think after like 20 days of no activity they used to close automatically, they used to be called cases then. Now these "requests" automatically close on day 4 and your generally screwed! Just refund before 12:01 am of the 4th day, ebay should give you a reminder email to resolve it.

I had one of these INR's the other day. My first question to the buyer is always "whats your address and I can check my records of where it was sent". Sometimes people never reply and I have had others where they are like ooh I have moved I'll check the old address etc. I will just refund in the 4 days for the people who never reply to cases so I don't get a ding, but I feel people should have to actually interact in these cases, to resolve an issue, it is a two way street but with lettermail thats the risk and I just refund on day 4.

BUT with this last case the person replied with a different address then what they gave ebay, I mentioned this wasnt the address they provided ebay/me and they ghosted me (they replied really quickly and never again for 4 days). eBay auto closed it with " buyer requested", NO they did NOT request it at 12:01am, its automatic lol. I appealed to ebay stating the person ghosted me when trying to work out their contradicting address, and said the buyer never requested this be closed your system automatically closed this at 12:01am. I won the appeal to save my $6.25  on principle that I should not have to give a refund when the buyers providing contradicting information and not working to resolve a problem that seems to be on their end.

I was willing to get a defect and see what happened if I didnt respond to that case, as I have always just refunded in the past. I got to keep my money and the defect was removed, but I am not sure how often that might work if you dont have tracking and i sure wouldnt want more then 1 defect on my account LOL. Maybe I got a sane person reading my appeal so I am thankful for that.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

The situation i'm refering to is different tho. The buyer is passed the 30-days after estimated delivery. He's not covered by ebay money back guarantee and i do not have to refund, whatever the situation.

Money should not be holded and we should be able to decline those or something 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

You don't thave a tracking number, so I don't think you will win. I have had people open cases like a long time after I figure it should have arrived to them and then out of nowhere a case opens.

Where does it say after 30days of estimated delivery window passing ebay money back guarentee no longer applies? I see nothing.

I have the ability if I want to open a case for item not recieved for soemthing I bought 24rd of March. and the  Est. delivery Mon, Apr 3 - Thu, Apr 13. That would be more then 2 months after it should have been delievered but I could open a case if i wanted to, but I won't since I received it.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

Buyers are allowed to open cases whenever they wants but there's no money back guarantee after 30-days past estimated delivery or delivery on INRs.

You have up to 30 calendar days after the estimated delivery date has passed to report that an item hasn't arrived.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/buying/returns-refunds/get-help-item-hasnt-arrived?id=4042

I don't mind buyers are still allowed to open them and that ebay leave it at seller's discretion. But as said money shouldnt be hold and we should be able to decline the cases. That's the whole problem. They leave the option to buyers to leave the decision at seller's discretion, but cases are exactly the same than if they were inside money back guarantee, while they are not. 

I just would like to be sure that if i let it close, it will close in my favor. To not have a case closed without resolution. 

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

Well i do not have much patience, and did not want to risk a case closed without resolution... So i contacted an agent. As expected:

This purchase isn't covered by the eBay Money Back Guarantee. The buyer opened the case outside the coverage time frame or didn't use an approved payment method. As a result, we're closing this case in your favor. The buyer won't be refunded and this case won't negatively impact your seller performance.

They still did not answered my question about if i do not answer to the case, if it would close automatically in our favor. But they told me 'it would have the same resolution as it would be the same situation'. Next time i'll let it go to test, and just appeal if it close against me (as it should not).  

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

He's not covered by ebay money back guarantee and i do not have to refund, whatever the situation.

Sorry but Paypal (if he used that, you would not know) allows 180 days from Payment for claims.

And the credit card he used (possibly to back his PP account) has a 120-180 day limit for chargebacks.

You are right that the eBay claim is dead, and you may be able to get that closed, but you still have to consider PP and chargeback claims.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

INR passed delay

You have to contact eBay and have a rep manually close the case. There will be no apparent option to do this in the case. 

You should be very clear when you explain to them the situation. Point out that the item sold on x day, y was the expected delivery date, and that enough time has passed since that date that the buyer protection has expired so you need the case manually closed. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply