Important information about listings associated with COVID-19

visamax
Community Member
  • Masks including N95/N100 and surgical masks
  • Hand Sanitizer/Gel
  • Disinfecting Wipes

As of 03-14-2020 why are there still lots of old and NEW listings on e-bay for these items? e-bay also has NEW listings from Canada where people are hoarding toilet paper and are selling it at hugely inflated prices taking advantage of people because of the pandemic. I think this violates e-bay's Disaster and Tragedy policy.  e-bay needs to DO something, not just message about it.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

mcrlmn
Community Member
There's a place in... Let's hope so.
This evening, Global News had a report about this.
My first thought was of eBay, and wondering if they'd have the decency to follow through, as other online sites have.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

There was couple bragging how they made 100K from selling hoarded Lysol wipes and re-selling them on Amazon. Hope the tax man gets them.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Looks like they're "hiding" the listings in non health related categories.  Masks seems to be listed in Business/Industrial and Purell is in Health/Beauty.  eBay just can't cancel every listing with N95 or Mask in the title....   If buyers flag the listing and eBay conducts a review, it will be removed from the site (like it never existed).  Pretty incredible what people are willing to pay for some stuff right now.....

Ian

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

There is a seller on Amazon that is selling black nitrile gloves, a single box of I think 50/100 pairs.....

For $5,000 and they say it's very collectable.
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

FWIW-- that list does not include toilet paper.

One reason for the (temporary?) ban is that those are items needed in medical centres for disease control.

There is no shortage of sanitizer nor of wipes. They are available wholesale, but every time they hit the stores, they get snapped up.

Masks are an different story, of course.

Toilet paper is just ridiculous, CONVID-19 does not usually have diarrhea as a symptom. High fever and a cough with shortness of breath do not require toilet paper, which may be why those listings are being ignored.
Plus a little schadenfreude when the idiots who try to sell the stuff can't find a buyer.

If you see a listing that you believe to be attempted gouging, Report it.  The link is on the right side of the listing across from the Description/Shipping tabs, just above the Description.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

@visamax wrote:

.  e-bay needs to DO something, not just message about it.

eBay was perhaps the first marketplace site to announce a full ban, they certainly were ahead of Amazon.

eBay has been pulling thousands of listings.

The expectation that a site the size of eBay can instantly flick a switch is completely unrealistic.

The "blame" if any is to be assigned should be placed on the sellers who are listing these items.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 19
latest reply

Toilet Paper.JPG

There must be a real panic when there are 72 bids on 1 square of toilet paper!!!

-Lotz

PS. For giggles type Toilet Paper in search. 4800+ listings currently. The listing for $6800.00 for the Purex puts it all in total perspective.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

On the positive side, here is a post on kijiji in Ontario

Looking to help the most vulnerable. Young man supplying FREE toilet paper/canned food/sanitation supplies/bottled water for the elderly who were unable to get supplies in time or may not be able to leave the house.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

What about toilet paper for 189.99 https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toilet-paper-/254540854615
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

@mello710710 

If you see it Report it.

The Report button is on the right , across from the Description and Shipping tabs.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Yes I did report about 5 listings, but there are MANY more.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

I have reported multiple upon multiple scam listings for toilet paper. Even chatted real time with an ebay associate supplying her with links and 48hrs later, the scammers prevail. All listings still there. Shake my head!

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Please message the listing seller to tell him/her that "they have been reported to eBay" and use the REPORT button on the listing and actually report it. I have reported many such listings and at least half of them ended theirs probably because they were afraid to be flagged by eBay and loose their ratings. Seasoned sellers however continue with their listings probably knowing that eBay won't do much about it. PLEASE continue reporting and let eBay now this is not acceptable.

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Its funny that ebay will still take their cut while blocking people selling essential items at retail prices during an emergency with the claim of price gouging.

Screenshot (5).png

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

It is simpler and cheaper to have a flat ban, than to police thousands of listings, many of them predatory.

N95 masks are not a necessity for anyone except medical workers-- who are supplied by their employer.

At this time, many tradespeople who use these N95 masks to guard against noxious gases in the course of their jobs, are donating supplies to hospitals and nursing homes.

I wonder how many N95 masks it is possible to order from ULine these days?

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

I wonder how many N95 masks it is possible to order from ULine these days?

According to the screenshot above that type is not available until May.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply