International buyer orders domestic item only

I have an item that was set to Canada/USA only yet someone from India has purchased it. It has been a couple days and they have not tried to send any payment either. Have I missed some kind of shipping setting that allowed this? Is this some kind of scam? Here is the listing in question:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/222912147947

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

While you only give shipping cost for Canada and the USA, you have not actually Blocked any other buyers.

There is an option to do this on the Sell Your Item form, at least on the Advanced one which I prefer to use.

Since your buyer has not paid, you can:

• Send him an invoice with the cost of shipping with tracking and insurance by Air Mail to India. I would suggest Priority Post. https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1
  • Wait for 96 hours from the purchase. Then open an Unpaid Item Dispute in the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page.
  • Note that you should send the invoice first, so that the buyer does not pay the Canadian or US shipping rate, which gets confused.

If you feel nicer about it, you could use Contact Buyer to ask for his Canadian or US address for invoicing.

Some international buyers use Freight Forwarders. These companies deal with import fees and re-shipping to the customer's home country and are a useful and respectable part of online selling.

When a seller ships to a freight forwarder, his responsibility ends at the doorstep of the forwarder. But use tracking.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

It is not enough to say ship to Canada and US

One has to block countries....

Start by clicking  Account at the top left of the ... My eBay page.

Then .... Site Preferences ...  in the left column

Then ... Shipping Preferences....  and click ... Show to the right.

Then .... Find    Exclude shipping locations from your listings    Then ..click Edit to the right

And...Select the regions or countries you don't ship to

Do not block Canada and United States   in North America,

As a seller that lives in Canada, you cannot block Canada....

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You can also cancel the order & choose the reason as problem with the address.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Research the cost to ship to India via Canada Post, add that cost for tracked shipping* to your buyer in India, Send Invoice, send invoice and wait.

When it goes past four days, open your Unpaid Item reminder.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

*Tracked but not Parcel Surface. Use Air Parcel for items valued at below $750 CAD and Priority for those above. The buyer is looking at minimum $80 Cad postage but.....

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

The minimum for International Tracked Parcel is $33.25 for something weighing under 100 grams.

After that it gets expensive.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Canada Post doesn't offer Tracked Packet to India, unfortunately, making Air Parcel the least costly option for tracked air mail. Tracked Packet currently serves only 31 countries of the world, soon to be 32 and include Japan in about three weeks. 

And for 99 g to UK (not India) I can send it for about $21 now. Maybe a little more, but I'm at a whopping Tier 2 now with the CPC discount. The rates for small and very lightweight items were tinkered with in the early part of the year, making them much more affordable for very light items. To partially compensate for the loss of Light Packet. The difficulty as a seller is trying to establish completely accurate Calculated Shipping rules because different countries (zones) seem to have different price breaks for Tier 2 discounts. Or so it seems to me. My point is that for the select countries served by Tracked Packet, postage for those padded envelopes is not too bad anymore. Anything in a box, even a small one, tends to jump to a higher weight bracket.

But none of this helps the buyer in India. For them, Air Parcel is where it's at. I wouldn't trust shipping to India without tracking. But that's me. Every seller must decide on their own risk tolerance. I am fairly risk intolerant. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 8.45.29 PM.png

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

In contrast, that same parcel size I used 23 x 18 x 2 cm and 99 g to ship to India via air mail with tracking goes by Air Parcel (because they don't have Tracked Packet) and my Tier 2 discount is $65. Since this is the $250-item sold by the OP, they aren't required to get a Signature so Air Parcel would be fine. Without the regular ebay/shippo discount, it will be more. I think it estimated $80 for me when I looked at the rate without being logged into my CPC account.

There's obviously a big postage difference between $21 and $65. For air mail with tracking, regardless of what it's called and where it's headed. That's the reciprocal agreements, I guess.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

How does an Unpaid Item Claim work? Frankly, I don't want to be paid, I just want to cancel the item. I have little trust in selling to Europe and Asia, even with tracking I have burned by eBay and CPC in the past.

I have tried to reach out to the buyer but they do not respond.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

You should see the option on your drop-down menu. You want to open an Unpaid Item case so that the buyer cannot leave you flaming negative feedback for cancelling their order; they can do that with a Cancel Order but not an Unpaid Item that closes in your favour. 

It will be under the Sell/Sold under one of the drop-downs. The option doesn't appear in my screenshot due to me not having any Awaiting Payment orders to reference.

After four days (to the minute) the Unpaid Item can be closed and you get your final value fees refunded. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-26 at 9.10.16 PM.png

(My apologies for the multiple edits and associated notices.)  

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

You won’t get paid unless they have a US or Cdn. address and if they do pay, you have to send it.  If you file the unpaid item and close it after 4 days you will get your fees back.  You could cancel the order using the problem with address reason, but I would probably go the unpaid route. You will also get your fees back with a cancellation as long as the buyer doesn’t challenge the reason for the cancellation.(I’m not sure that is would be possible for the buyer to challenge.)

Message 11 of 11
latest reply