Invalid Postal Code Message When Listing.

Hi,

I haven't sold anything on Ebay for the last year or so and decided to list a few items but keep getting "invalid postal code" error message. I tried everything from caps/no caps, space/no space, my old postal code but it just keeps saying "invalid postal code". I've sold plenty before but moved a year ago to a new town in an old neighbourhood so it's not a new area, anybody know what may be the problem, thanks.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

So you are seeing the invalid postal code on the sell your item form after you fill out item location?

Message 2 of 36
latest reply

Two things

(1) Go to the Canada Post website  and find out the postal code for your address.

Find a postal code

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/personal/postalcode/fpc.jsf

(2) then do the reverse on the website.... a bit below the first option ... plug in your postal code  to see where that postal code takes you

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/fpc/personal/findAnAddress?execution=e2s1

(2) Go to a postal outlet  and consult... the "Big Book" of postal codes

I have sometimes run into problems with a buyer's postal code....   The BIg Book solved those problems

Sometimes the website is "old" when it comes to postal code problems.....

Message 3 of 36
latest reply

Actually it was  "Three" things

getting late tonight... late... late...l a t e 

Message 4 of 36
latest reply

Yes, I get the error code after completing the selling form and when I click on Review Listing, the next page says there's a problem and to correct it and when I scroll down the page, there's a message in red under the postal code box saying that it's invalid.

I went to the Canada Post site and did both the address and postal code look up and it brings up my correct address and postal code, I'll check the big book the next time I have a chance.

Thanks for your suggestions.

G.

Message 5 of 36
latest reply

Often "invalid" postal codes are the result of a user replacing the letter "o" with the number "zero" or the lower case letter "l" with number "one".  Could this be the case here?

Alternatively, for an immediate solution, use the postal code assigned to your local post office.  It will do the job.

Message 6 of 36
latest reply

There is a problem with postal codes, has been going on for at least a year. I don't know whether it is an ebay problem but I suspect it is. I still can't use my new (for about 1 yr or more) postal code when listing on Turbo Lister or the ebay SYI form. I have to still use my old postal code, I suspect somebody, somewhere, hasn't updated the list of Canadian postal codes for the past year or so. Yes, I have contacted ebay and also Turbo Lister but nothing has ever changed. I guess it will only get worse as more Cdn. postal codes change.

Message 7 of 36
latest reply

Ok, got it sorted, kind of.

Seems I was using the abbreviated listing form and for some reason it had my location as the US even though it kept saying to put a valid pc in. My pc has no zeros or Os so I tried other pc and always the same issue. I then saw the option to use an advance listing form (one I used before) and on that form I was able to change my location from the US to Canada and it accepted my pc. Don't know why it thought I was in the US, all my info clearly says that I'm a Canuck.

But then it wouldn't let me select how I was planning to ship my item and again with the error messages....I finally just clicked the "will not ship, pick up only" tab and voila but I did state in my listing that I will ship of course.

I'm just glad it's listed, thanks again for the comments.

G.

Message 8 of 36
latest reply

You listed it on .com with local pickup so it is not searchable on .ca.  Also because it says the listing is for Canada with local pickup, many buyers won't even bother to click on the listing to see that the helmet can be shipped.  What problem were you having with entering shipping? Since you are listing on .com you have to use a flat rate rather than calculated shipping.

Message 9 of 36
latest reply

Here we are one year later!  This is STILL an issue! My Canadian postal code isn't excepted on Ebay's  item location. What in the world is going on? I've been using other online auction sources because of this error, and it's still happening!  It's not that hard really...

my postal code doesn't consist of zero's or stupid letters that could conflict the system. They're everyday numbers and letters. I've followed instructions, asked for help... nothing.  Can't sell on Ebay!

Disappointed with all this.

Message 10 of 36
latest reply

tuc_nic
Community Member
It won't let me put in my entire postal code. It only lets me type 5 of the 6 digits. Example: A1A 1A_
Message 11 of 36
latest reply

@tuc_nic wrote:
It won't let me put in my entire postal code. It only lets me type 5 of the 6 digits. Example: A1A 1A_

Where are you entering your postal code? And on which site eBay.COM or eBay.CA ?

Have you tried entering your Canadian postal code without the middle blank --  A1A1A1

Message 12 of 36
latest reply

EBAY IS THE PROBLEM THEY NEED TO UPDATE BADDDDLLLLLLYYYYYY THEY ARE MIDEVIL

@happy_gilmore wrote:

Hi,

I haven't sold anything on Ebay for the last year or so and decided to list a few items but keep getting "invalid postal code" error message. I tried everything from caps/no caps, space/no space, my old postal code but it just keeps saying "invalid postal code". I've sold plenty before but moved a year ago to a new town in an old neighbourhood so it's not a new area, anybody know what may be the problem, thanks.

Message 13 of 36
latest reply

BLAME EBAY FOR MAKING PROGRAMS THAT THEY DON'T EVEN TEST OR DO MUCH TO EARN THEIR 10% FINAL VALUE PICKING
Message 14 of 36
latest reply

@nbswipers wrote:

Here we are one year later!  This is STILL an issue! My Canadian postal code isn't excepted on Ebay's  item location. What in the world is going on? I've been using other online auction sources because of this error, and it's still happening!  It's not that hard really...

my postal code doesn't consist of zero's or stupid letters that could conflict the system. They're everyday numbers and letters. I've followed instructions, asked for help... nothing.  Can't sell on Ebay!

Disappointed with all this.

You just need to go to the post office and send it tracking is never required but can be useful EBAY IS USELESS AT SOLVING THIS PROBLEM AND I'M LEARNING EVEN MORE SO WITH THE SHIPPING POSTAL CODE NOW PAY PAL IS FULL OF 0R9BLEMS CAN'T CONNECT BANK  CAN'T SEND MONEY I'M SICK AND TIRED OF EBAY AND PAY PAL WHOSE WITH ME? REVELATION POWER TO THE MAJORITY NOT THE MINORITY SCAMMING THE REST OF US

Message 15 of 36
latest reply

Don't leave a space after the first three digits.

Message 16 of 36
latest reply

" I'M SICK AND TIRED OF EBAY AND PAY PAL"

That is your right.

"WHOSE WITH ME?"

eBay has about 200,000,000 users.  Not all of them feel like you. Most understand how to buy, pay, sell and get paid without any difficulty.

Message 17 of 36
latest reply

@james.edwar wrote:

EBAY IS THE PROBLEM THEY NEED TO UPDATE BADDDDLLLLLLYYYYYY THEY ARE MIDEVIL

@happy_gilmore wrote:

Hi,

James, you are headed for a fall.

Your WalMart gift card is free shipping but you have shipping cost set at $50?

You do not state if the amount is Cdn or US. This is showing up on dot com, in the United States as "$500 Walmart Gift Card FREE SHIPPING with Tracking".  You do not state this is Canadian dollars.

Photobucket
Message 18 of 36
latest reply

Title: $500 Walmart Gift Card FREE SHIPPING with Tracking

Location Stettler Alberta

Shipping USPS

Shipping charge US$50 worldwide

Item specifics: 

Value (dollars):10

Valid Locations:US-Nationwide, Non-US, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California-Northern, California-Southern, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland

Somehow, whatever happens - it will be bad - is eBay's fault!

Message 19 of 36
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Title: $500 Walmart Gift Card FREE SHIPPING with Tracking

Location Stettler Alberta

Shipping USPS

Shipping charge US$50 worldwide

Item specifics: 

Value (dollars):10

Valid Locations:US-Nationwide, Non-US, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California-Northern, California-Southern, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland

Somehow, whatever happens - it will be bad - is eBay's fault!

I wasn't going to say that.

This isn't going to end well.

Photobucket
Message 20 of 36
latest reply