Invalid Postal Code Message When Listing.

Hi,

I haven't sold anything on Ebay for the last year or so and decided to list a few items but keep getting "invalid postal code" error message. I tried everything from caps/no caps, space/no space, my old postal code but it just keeps saying "invalid postal code". I've sold plenty before but moved a year ago to a new town in an old neighbourhood so it's not a new area, anybody know what may be the problem, thanks.

Message 1 of 36
latest reply
35 REPLIES 35

Re: Invalid Postal Code Message When Listing.

Hello 'james.edwar', 

Like some of the others here, I too looked at that listing for a Walmart gift card.  The way you have that listing set up, 

have you considered the problems you may encounter as a result?  

You continue to repost the notion that,  "YOU CANNOT USE THIS GIFT CARD ANYWHERE BUT CANADA"

but you run the risk that a lot of ebay users do not read well or have English as a first language.  They may not be 

conversant in English at all, shopping mostly by pictures.

If you have a gift card that is unusable outside Canada, you might consider setting up the listing and shipping to 

Canada only.  Your listing says you ship to Worldwide, without exclusions.

Your ID and the Item Location place you in Alberta.

Right now your title says FREE SHIPPING, but the shipping section says:

Shipping: US $50.00  USPS Priority Mail Express International

Why in blazes would you have set that up?  

What will you do if someone buys that and ends up infinitely disappointed with something he didn't expect or can't use?

What if that person similarly blames anyone but himself  and leaves a negative for his misery?  That will completely

destroy this as a selling ID.  

It might be a good idea to calmly and politely (without all the SHOUTING) ask for thoughts and suggestions from 

other members here when you are new at setting up listings.  People here can go over it with you until it is 

absolutely goof-proof.  

Nonetheless, I wish you a good outcome. Smiley Happy

Message 21 of 36
latest reply

Well, if I am reading everything correctly, and I doubt that I am, the GC is up to $517 CDN. Isn't the face value $500 CDN? Plus $50 free shipping?

This may not end well.

Photobucket
Message 22 of 36
latest reply

"This may not end well."

Please allow me to correct you:

This will not end well.

.... and the seller will find ways to blame eBay for his several mistakes

Message 23 of 36
latest reply

Well, the $500 GC with free $50 shipping is up to $567. Wanna bet that is Americans thinking they are buying a $500 US card?

This has spawned an imitator #321970836312 in the US who wants $254 for a $200 card.

Yep, this may not end well.

Photobucket
Message 24 of 36
latest reply

I notice that you have added some disclaimers to your listing but that doesn't mean that new bidders will see that and it's unlikely that current bidders are going to go read the listing again so those disclaimers are not going to help you. And, as others have pointed out,

bidders likely think that the card is for $500 U.S.

If you have never cancelled an auction before, you can cancel the bids and end the auction as long as you do so when the auction has more than 12 hours left.  You are allowed to do that once a year...if you do it more, you have to pay final value fees even if you have cancelled all of the bids.

Message 25 of 36
latest reply

<< . . .the GC is up to $517 CDN. Isn't the face value $500 CDN? Plus $50 free shipping?

This may not end well. >>

*laffs*  Quite so. Smiley Very Happy  It sure is weird.  I see $567+  right now.  Why would anyone bid up to that amount,  except

that the bidder must be American because the US dollar amount is $401.

The first thing a buyer sees is the title, $500 Walmart Gift Card FREE SHIPPING with Tracking

and the second is the Item condition: New, Unused $500 Wal~Mart Gift Card

Nowhere does it say "Canadian".   For that, a bidder would have to scroll waaay down to the addenda.  

A Canadian gift card only valid in Canada using Canadian dollars, -- listed for sale internationally in US dollars.  

Oh dear.

Maybe 'james' will be super lucky and the buyer won't pay.  Then he can file to get his fees back and start again.  

If he has any sense he will return to the boards and ask others here to step-by-step help him set up a fail-safe listing

where everybody ends up happy.  This is one time where a non-payer would be a good thing, in my opinion.  

I'd like to see it turn out well for both parties, but . . . . . Smiley Frustrated

Message 26 of 36
latest reply

With a final 13th bid with 45 seconds to go, the WalMart card sold for US$ 416 (Cdn$588) plus US$50 shipping to an experienced user (feedback rating 669).

Message 27 of 36
latest reply

Let us see what happens when the "winner" gets the invoice, in US funds.

This may not end well, eh Pierre.

Photobucket
Message 28 of 36
latest reply

The problem is with EBAY. They need to update their CANADA Postal Code Database.

I moved into a new housing development in 2014. we received a perfectly valid postal code. It works everywhere else.

It does NOT WORK when I enter it for ITEM LOCATION on a listing or trying to revise the location in edit mode.

If I enter a postal code for an address a couple blocks away (an older established area) , my town name pops up ok

Message 29 of 36
latest reply

what's the hell is wrong with ebay???   by making their software the way it is right now, they are losing business right and left from Canadians.......THE SIMPLE FIX????   go to the top right.....something there about MASS LISTINGS........ebay tells you not to go there.....but I did.....and that took me back to the old listings format and I was able to quickly change my location from USA to CANADA and enter my postal code and the auction was LIVE......like, really, ebay.....PLEASE read the comments from your users and fix the glitch in your system......peace out, my ebay members......

GO PENS GO!     

Message 30 of 36
latest reply

The app is **bleep**e. Trying to list a Canadian sale. Canada is set as the handling country. App expects zip code and City, state. So this is wrong. Still try to set a valid postal code regardless. Fails for "invalid postal code" . **bleep**e. I can't sell.
Message 31 of 36
latest reply

You tacked on to an OLD THREAD started in 2014.

You can always start a new thread of your own.

Message 32 of 36
latest reply

haha same issue there. this is EASY

I am located in Canada and I do my listing on ebay.com

I do my listing on ebay.ca and everything work without this error message

Message 33 of 36
latest reply

agme05
Community Member
I am putting in my postal code for my community is AOB2YO and saying they want zip code and I am giving my postal code right
Message 34 of 36
latest reply

Covered earlier but please confirm you are logged into ebay dot ca and NOT ebay dot com. It could be as simple as that .   Format should be A0B2Y0.  Those appear to be the letter "o" versu the number "0" zero going by the font. Hope you are able to resolve

-Lotz

Message 35 of 36
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 36 of 36
latest reply