Is it Possible to Reverse an Accepted Return and do a Partial Refund Instead?

I accepted a return but then the buyer and I negotiated a partial refund after I'd already started the process.

Is there a way to send a partial refund once you've already accepted the return and close the case once it's been set into motion?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @sylviebee!

If you and the buyer agreed to a partial after accepting a return, the best course of action would be to issue the partial via PayPal and ask the buyer to close the return. If the buyer forgets to do so the request will close automatically 30 days after the last action (you accepting the return). 

If you do need to contact CS about this, a few things will make it much simpler for them (and less of a headache for you):

• Make sure that the arrangement for the partial refund is in eBay Messages so that anyone in CS can review and confirm. 

• Make sure that the partial is issued through PayPal on the transaction itself (not a 'Send Money') so that anyone in CS can confirm that the partial was issued. 

Hoping that this is a quick resolution for you both!

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Without having had the experience myself, I would venture to say this is something an ebay Customer Service Rep would need to walk through with the seller who wanted to do it.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Im fairly sure that the buyer should be able to close the return at their end after you do the partial. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I agree that would be a logical and sensible process to expect to follow a partial refund by mutual agreement... so then if the buyer accepted that partial refund and then vanished without actually closing the request, my next assumption would be that the seller could call eBay Customer Service and ‘escalate’ the case to close it after a time so as to release whatever funds may or may not be frozen as a result of the return request.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

tyler@ebay
Community Member

Hi @sylviebee!

If you and the buyer agreed to a partial after accepting a return, the best course of action would be to issue the partial via PayPal and ask the buyer to close the return. If the buyer forgets to do so the request will close automatically 30 days after the last action (you accepting the return). 

If you do need to contact CS about this, a few things will make it much simpler for them (and less of a headache for you):

• Make sure that the arrangement for the partial refund is in eBay Messages so that anyone in CS can review and confirm. 

• Make sure that the partial is issued through PayPal on the transaction itself (not a 'Send Money') so that anyone in CS can confirm that the partial was issued. 

Hoping that this is a quick resolution for you both!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I had a return request this week. I offered a part refund *first.  Just as Tyler wrote here in another reply, it did *not remove the option of accepting the return if the buyer did not take the offer of part refund.  The moral... always try the part refund *first.  My buyer took it, the thing auto closed. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply