Is this a potential scam?

Haven't run into this before and seems odd. Sold something almost two weeks and buyer didn't pay, keeps telling me that eBay gives him an error when he tries. He keeps messaging me regularly that he is trying something else, or that he contacted ebay and they said it will work in 48 hours to pay me.. Anyway... the buyer is very communicative but is there some potential scam where they delay payment so long that somehow the item goes past delivery date, or something else I'm not aware of?

Just seems fishy.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Every situation can be different but I've had a few times someone was communicative as you say about having trouble processing the payment and saying they weren't sure what was wrong, or eBay said it would be cleared up in a couple of days and 90% of the time they were just needing more time (perhaps there wasn't enought funds available on their credit card, maybe they transfered money to Paypal which can take a few business days, etc. I prefer someone to come out and say "I don't get paid until next week, do you mind waiting?" (has happened several times also!) Any time I have allowed these honest-about-being-broke people the extension I was still paid. There is no way to know for sure the persons reason(s) but the calculation of the delivery date doesn't happen until they do pay.

It's up to you how long to wait or if you even want to go ahead.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

SCAM

DO NOT Ship unless you see a payment being processed in your eBay Payments section. 

Also, do not communicate with him outside of the eBay message system. If he has not paid for two weeks the transaction should have been canceled by eBay as an unpaid item?

You can cancel the transaction as an unpaid item, the Buyer will receive an ✖️ on their account, too many of those, and your out...

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Almost two weeks?

Just cancel for non-payment relist and move on.

Actual scammers would not keep you hanging, they would be trying to get your contact info immediately. This sounds more like a confused individual who if they haven't resolved the issue by now never will.

Add them to your Blocked Buyer list if so inclined.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

I understand I can cancel, but he keeps messaging that he wants the item and is trying different things. They have never once asked me to contact them outside eBay or anything, just asks that I keep it open and they are working to resolve the issue. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

On unpaid items eBay is automatically only giving 4 days for Buyers to pay, then the transaction usually gets canceled...

That's how it has been happening with Buyers who do not pay...

I find it odd that the OPers "sale" is still open, but yes just cancel it and move on...

If the Buyer arranges his payments issues he can purchase the item again.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Is he signed up for Paypal? That is the most reliable way to pay. It also offers the Buyer the greatest protection.

Which may help persuade him to sign up.

If he is using a credit or debit card, it may not be one of those accepted.

Or he may have been Blocked by eBay (automatic Block on buyers with too many Strikes) or by you (even under a different name).

Or he may be registered in a country you don't ship to.

If worse comes to worst, it may be best to Cancel this transaction and then immediately Relist /Sell Similar using his name as the title (to keep the transaction viewable only by him, no one else would Search his name) and resell.

If he is still having a problem paying, it is his problem not yours.

Some sales are not worth having, even if there are no red flags.

@brettjet38  The new Cancellation option has to be specifically chosen by the buyer, although once opted in, it is automatic. Many new sellers are not opted in. It may not appear on the overSimplified selling form.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I find it odd that the OPers "sale" is still open

The auto-cancel has to be turned on, the default setting is the same setting as you had previously when there was the same auto-system with one major difference (2-step instead of the current 1-step so faster).

When auto-cancel is turned on you can choose from 4 - 30 days to auto-cancel.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Is it a really unique collector's item? Or something that is otherwise at a great price?

He might really want the item, but not have the money right now. He might have bought it to take it off the market and is trying to buy himself time to pay you. 

I am all for trying to accommodate buyers, but two weeks is excessive. Unless it is an item with zero market that you are thrilled to have found a buyer for, I would cancel and move on. If he fixes his problem with paying, he can then buy the item later.

Look at it this way, if he has a payment issue with eBay's system that hasn't been resolved in two weeks, what is the likelihood it will be resolved now? If he doesn't, and is stringing you along, you are wasting your time. If he is being honest, there is nothing stopping him from buying the item later when his payment issue is resolved, other than it no longer being available. 

The delivery date does not count down until the payment is sent. If he hasn't sent the payment, he cannot delay things to force a situation where it doesn't arrive by the delivery date, and he can open an INR. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Every situation can be different but I've had a few times someone was communicative as you say about having trouble processing the payment and saying they weren't sure what was wrong, or eBay said it would be cleared up in a couple of days and 90% of the time they were just needing more time (perhaps there wasn't enought funds available on their credit card, maybe they transfered money to Paypal which can take a few business days, etc. I prefer someone to come out and say "I don't get paid until next week, do you mind waiting?" (has happened several times also!) Any time I have allowed these honest-about-being-broke people the extension I was still paid. There is no way to know for sure the persons reason(s) but the calculation of the delivery date doesn't happen until they do pay.

It's up to you how long to wait or if you even want to go ahead.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply