Item Returm

I had a item return request today which is very unusual for me. What was really funny was that the item arrived yesterday & she left me +FB then today wants to return reason being "changed my mind". eBay says in their notice that I do not have to refund till I receive the item & inspect it. I had hoped that maybe with the cost of a return label she would just decide to keep it but had a second notice that she had bought a label & there is a tracking #. I am still going to wait till it gets here to refund. My question is as this is buyers remorse I only refund the cost of the item, correct? Not shipping either coming or going.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Item Returm

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946 - yes, sales tax will be refunded via the same transaction in PayPal.  The easiest way to go about this is to issue a refund through the return once the item gets back to you.

@katlover1952  - since the buyer opened the return with a remorse reason, you should be able to withhold any charged outbound shipping directly from the body of the return itself.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Item Returm

If her return request stated that she changed her mind then it is a buyers remorse return so you’ll have the option of returning just the item cost if the buyer originally paid forshipping.  If the shipping was ‘free’ then you have to refund the full amount the buyer originally paid.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

A "no returns" policy does not mean No Refunds.

She has apparently returned the item on her own dime, and you don't have to refund the original shipping if it was a line item.

Be gracious, refund, relist.

And you can put her on your Blocked Bidder List if you like.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

I do not have a "no return" policy & in fact do accept returns (although with eBay there is not really a choice anyway). It is definitely buyer's remorse so I will only refund the cost of the item, not the shipping as it was sent tracked & actually cost me more than I charged her so have already lost without compounding it by refunding her the shipping she paid.

I am also wondering about sales tax. As eBay charges this assume that she will be refunded for this by eBay. I noted that she asked for a refund of more than she paid for the item but she had to pay tax on it.

Anyone had experience with the tax on returns??

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

The Internet Sales Taxes are new, but in shops normally the merchant also refunds it, and it is recorded on the cash register as a deduction from the tax remittal.

Since eBay is collecting these taxes for the US states, it should be no concern of the seller, who never touches them.

tyler@ebay  Any word on this from HQ?

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

Yes that is what I assumed too, that it would be up to eBay as we never touch it.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

According to sellers in the US, the tax will come out of your account and then ebay will add it back into your account.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

Thanks for the tag @femmefan1946 - yes, sales tax will be refunded via the same transaction in PayPal.  The easiest way to go about this is to issue a refund through the return once the item gets back to you.

@katlover1952  - since the buyer opened the return with a remorse reason, you should be able to withhold any charged outbound shipping directly from the body of the return itself.

Thanks!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

This was interesting.  I had a recent request for a return and the reason was that she just didn't like it.

I refunded without requiring a return as it was just a piece of clothing and I already have too much of that.

I accept returns so eBay just accepted for me and when I refunded the cost of shipping was automatically deducted from the refund.   I didn't understand what was going on until reading this thread.

I probably lost PP fees (not sure) but it was nice to have it all be automatic.  Otherwise I probably would have refunded the shipping cost as well.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

Just saw that the tax was also automatically refunded to the buyer along with item cost. Shipping cost was not refunded and so holding shipping charge back when it's buyer's remorse seems to be an automatic eBay function. Thank You Ebay.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

For Canada, Paypal does not refund the 30cent charge but does refund the percentage.

I understand that in the USA, PP does not refund any of their fees on a transaction reversal for any reason.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

I don’t know what the screen looks like when you refund without a return but when I refunded after receiving the item back, there were 2 options...to refund less original shipping and to refund for the item and original shipping. The first one was already checked off so shipping wouldn’t be refunded unless the seller changed it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Item Returm

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don’t know what the screen looks like when you refund without a return but when I refunded after receiving the item back, there were 2 options...to refund less original shipping and to refund for the item and original shipping. The first one was already checked off so shipping wouldn’t be refunded unless the seller changed it.

I just issued the refund and wasn't given choices.    I clicked on issue refund and the shipping fee wasn't refunded.

(Even though I told the buyer not to send the item back, a few minutes ago I received the return.   Wish she wouldn't have done that. She paid over $US 17 to return it and I'll probably just donate to Sally Annes.)

Message 14 of 14
latest reply