Item received broken

An item was received broken.  I have no problem refunding their money.

I can't remember is it better to have them open a case and refund them or just do through PayPal?  I believe one way gets a defect and the other doesn't. 

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Item received broken

@kays_place wrote:

An item was received broken.  I have no problem refunding their money.

I can't remember is it better to have them open a case and refund them or just do through PayPal?  I believe one way gets a defect and the other doesn't. 

What gets a defect is a refusal to do anything and the buyer opens a case and has to ask eBay to step in.  When a buyer opens a case you have a few days to act so once that happens, always do something.  It's the "unresolved case" where eBay has to fix it for the buyer that gets the defect.  

If you are happy to refund and you know there is nothing suspicious, you may as well just refund from PayPal.  The main reason to make a buyer open a case is those ones that say it never arrived, or any time that you think the buyer is taking advantage of the system.  

EBay keeps tabs on the number of cases and refunds on the buyers' end, so the only way for eBay to easily know who is abusing the system is the clearly demonstrated amount of opened claims.  

But in this instance if you are fine with the refund, the easiest thing for you is to just do it.  No case, no eBay, no defect, no problem.  

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Item received broken

The system used to penalize sellers when buyer opened cases, but that's no longer true.

As Vivian said, a case results in a defect when cases are unresolved.

I like to funnel everything through the system and when buyers email me about issues without opening a case (thinking they're doing me a favour), I usually instruct them to open a case.  That way everything is transparent.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Item received broken

All communication between seller and buyer should be through eBay Messages....

This is a record on eBay  and can be very helpful in a dispute...

An eBay person will be able to view these messages if necessary

Message 4 of 4
latest reply