Item returned, "No Longer At This Address" - Options?

byto253
Community Member

I mailed out an untracked item on March 21, and it has come back "Return to Sender"  "No Longer At This Address".

The estimated delivery date is April 6 to 22nd, so the 30 day INR period is still in effect.   I have the goods back, and am not interested in keeping the funds.   The address was to a campus mailbox, so I prefer to just close it out.  

Can I just issue a refund and cite "Buyer Cancelled" as at this point I do not see an option to cancel due to a problem with the address. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

marnotom!
Community Member
Buyer has probably gone home for the summer. Get in touch with them and see if they want the item or a refund.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Technically, eBay does not require you to refund anything returned as Undeliverable.

Practically, and ethically, this is not acceptable behaviour of course.

If the buyer opts for a refund, I would not refund your shipping cost.

And if the buyer wants the goods, she should be paying for the additional shipping.

https://www.ebay.ca/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy?...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

Yup, I can get hold of them, etc.  They can also open an INR, as it is untracked and I will be into a whole process for a $15 item.  That is why I would like to just close it out with buyer cancelled, since the address was no good.   Any idea if there is an issue with this?

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Problem with address would be more appropriate.

Personally I would want to at least confirm if the error is with the buyer or the post office before cancelling.

I'm not even sure you can do a cancellation after 30 days...........

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

True, at this point the closest I can find is to do a refund with the reason of buyer cancelled sale. I will likely message them about the address and suggest I just do a cancel on their behalf so I can refund them.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Since your customer seems to be a student, here's a Learning Experience for them.

They can buy a Change of Address service from the post office.

I believe this can be purchased at any post office, not just the one near the old address.

While packages will not be forwarded, again I don't think they will, Letter Mail will.

Stuff that isn't taught in school.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

byto253
Community Member

All refunded, the buyer said they ordered for delivery to school by accident.  So all clear to refund for buyer cancellation and get a fee credit.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply