Item says deliverd but buyer says he was gone on vacation and says post office sent item back.

Hello,

I sold and item from Canada that was shipped to Germany. It was delivered on May22 with confirmation. The buyer contacted me on June 4th  saying he was gone on vacation and that the post office has sent the package back.... That if i receive it to just send it back. I havnt received anything and if i do who is to pay for the shipping? Do i charge the buyer again? And if the package says delivered then why would it be sent back?  Does this sound legit? What a pain in .....!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Item says deliverd but buyer says he was gone on vacation and says post office sent item back.

First check the tracking number with the Deutsche Post website and see what it says there.

The customer will be responsible for the shipping charge that you are going to have to pay when the item is returned to you by Canada Post.

The customer will also have to pay for return shipping to Germany. 

It's not your fault that the customer is buying items on-line and going on holidays. If I was planning a vacation I surely wouldn't have any outstanding incoming parcels to deal with or I would have a family member or neighbor help deal with the daily mail. 

If something was sent with tracking or tracking and signature confirmation then I would notify my local post office to extend the hold on any incoming parcels.

There's also a chance that the package was delivered and stolen from the customers house or apartment complex.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for your response.  I will be sure to charge him for the shipping but if he puts up a stink about it do i report this to ebay as a dispute? I would like to keep my good feedback but this may persuade him otherwise.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Check his "feedback left for others" and see if there's any concerns ie; negative and neutral feedback. Check to see who you are dealing with.

Find out what the German Post website says about the package. It will probably give you more insight into what happened to the package.

Call eBay Customer Service and let then know that the customer admitted to being on holidays when a package was delivered and that he was notified that the package was sent back (if it wasn't actually stolen). 

Keep all messages with the buyer for CS to reference for any future problems. 

The Tracking Number says that the package was delivered, so eBay will side with you if he tries to open a INR dispute (some posters may disagree with that statement).  

Make sure you uploaded the tracking number on eBay.   

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You have tracking on this item that says it was Delivered? If so, that’s all you need in order to be protected UNLESS the item was high-value and Signature was required. Did your Estimated Date of Delivery for this item match the actual date of delivery?
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

As mentioned by the other poster, if the item shows as delivered and the buyer opens an item not received case you would win.   I don’t think there is any reason to phone ebay at this point. I would just tell the buyer that you will let them know once you receive the item back but you might want to warn them that a returned package often takes longer than the original delivery.

I think that most people realize that they will have to pay for shipping again so I wouldn’t be too concerned about that right now but when you get it back I would contact him to confirm that he wants you to ship it again and if so, you can send him an invoice for shipping through PP.  I would also tell him that if he doesn’t want it reshipped you can refund him item amount.

I would be curious though what the tracking says on the buyers end because if it says delivered, why would he think that it is coming back to you?

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

You do not open Disputes. (for what?)

If the buyer wants to try a Dispute to bully a refund from you, he can, but he will lose because the tracking shows delivery.

Let the customer know that when you receive the returned package you will send a refund-- minus the cost of shipping.

And the cost of shipping includes any return shipping charges from Canada Post.

Do not fear feedback.

EBay does not use feedback to assess your Selling Account.  (It does have some effect on your future buyers.)

Message 7 of 7
latest reply