LISTING WITH FREE RETURN OPTION

i see that several sellers  are  stating free returns  on their listings ,  what exactley  is  the  advantage  in stating this  feature when ebay  on disputes   forces  the seller  to pay for return shipping or provide a return shipping label . failure to do so  will result  ebay siding with the buyer  and  buyer keeps  the  item and gets a full refund.

so why state free returns !  am i missing something here ? 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I suspect it means free seller pays return shipping even if the buyer just does  not want the item...ie nothing wrong with it aka buyer's remorse.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

As the other poster said, with free returns the seller will pay the return shipping regardless of the reason for the return. I haven't seen many Canadians offering that option for obvious reasons but on .com,  in order to show the TRSplus badge and to get the trs discount, one of the requirements is to offer free returns.   If a Canadian with global trs lists on .com they still do get the discount but not the badge unless they meet the US requirements.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Because of the higher cost of return shipping from our biggest market, the USA, Free Returns is probably not a good idea.

It encourages "renting" and unwarranted returns.

It attracts bottom feeding customers.

It attracts customers who don't really know what they want.

And it does not have the advantage of leading to the tiny discounts and other small perks we get with Global Top Rated Seller status.

That being said, while eBay does allow a No Returns policy, it does not allow a No Refunds policy.

Disputes are actually pretty rare, and are as likely to be polite disagreements as actual scams on either side.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply