Light packet shipping without using paypal

I was wondering if someone can tell me what slip or sticker i need to ship light packet when not using paypal .. I came across a large amount of stamps at 50% off and want to start using them for light packet but have NEVER done light packet without paypal.

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

I use Small Packet labels and scratch out the small packet part. Voila, Customs label. Add stamps.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

From my experience our Canada Post retail outlet at Jean Coutu will help you; don't see any problem.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

I didn't make myself very clear.  With new barcodes, etc. I should think your local post office or retail postal outlet wouid accept

an addressed packet suitably stamped realizing an appropriate label would need to be affixed for Customs purposes to the USA or

elsewhere where Light Packets can go.   It is a good question as I know people who utilize stamps where possible.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Last I heard, the barcodes were just for Expedited and up.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

From Canada Post:

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/news/announcements/light_packet.jsf

As far as Customs Declaration is concerned, for shipments sent by Light Packet with a value of $500 or less, form 43-074-253 (also known as CN22) is required.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#1382681

PS - Brande I am glad to read you are now using postage stamps (acquired at deep discount below face value) to frank your outgoing mail.  It is a great money saver.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

I have this vision of Brande sitting there, licking penny stamps saying "I'm saving a half a cent".
Photobucket
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

How to send a letter in Canada with eighty-five (85) one cent ($0.01) stamps:

http://pierrelebel.com/pics/canada/85cover.jpg

Lick away and save.... Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Gotta love it.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

Just curious... how can that lovely old 1 cent stamp of Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret be worthless enough to use as "discount postage"?  

Although I know absolutely zero about stamp collecting, it just seems that stamp would be too old and interesting to be worth next to nothing. 

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

It is not "worthless", it is worth one cent.

Most stamps issued in Canada since WWII can be purchased in large lots at or below face value.

If you were to go to a stamp shop and ask to purchase that stamp, it may cost you $0.10 or $0.20, paying for the store owner's time to handle the transaction, not for the stamp.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

I'm not entirely certain but when using PayPal label barcodes are there on Small Packets as well and the postal staff tell me they get scanned and while not trackable the labels serve a purpose for Customs; if nothing else to capture originating locations.

Technology changes !!!!

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

Yes, the labels serve a purpose, more so down the road. For a year they served no purpose, or so I was told. Right now, Customs info is not required on non-tracked parcels.

I "think" there will be a shake-down period to work out all the bugs in the HS codes. Anticipate massive line-ups at the PO at Christmas as all the one a year people come in not knowing they need these codes. Each parcel will be a 15 minute adventure.

When they first started this, a few months back, people were walking out mad as they were already waiting for far too long. Three people takes half an hour? What happens with 15 people in line?

Coming to a PO near you.
Photobucket
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

I send Light Packet with stamps a lot. Just ask your post office for a pile of CN22 forms. Fill them out, stick the top one on your pkg., add your stamps and toss in the mail box. Light pkt. isn't scanned so no need to even take them to the post office. They go as lettermail. They are lettermail actually, except for the CN22 customs form. Don't worry that it says Small Packet on it, you use the same form for both Small and Light Packet.

Message 14 of 21
latest reply

Pierre, regarding the Canada Post website you linked too it specifies the following in Table 1:

"All Light Packet items must bear a Small Packet/customs label (43-074-253) and an O/S label (43-074-266) or by using an authorized online shipping platform."

You mention that 43-074-253 is the CN22, but what is the 43-074-266 label for? Are there two separate labels that need to be attached to the package?

Message 15 of 21
latest reply

"but what is the 43-074-266 label for?"

I am clueless.  Never used it.  Nobody ever asked for it.

From time to time I get a stack of green CN22 and that's it.

Message 16 of 21
latest reply

Its a sticker with a big  "O/S stream G/F Flot de courier".  Which was intended to differentiate it from letterpost, or that is supposed to go with the oversize letterpost at CPs invented higher rate

Back when light packet started and CP had their clueless rep post here there was discussion about making them available to order, which never happened.  The outlets wouldn't give them out but someone here got some and scanned it.  CP always promoted light packet as "exclusive outlets and paypal" so never made them available.  But they don't seem to care if you just put them in the mail 

Message 17 of 21
latest reply

yes I have discover the joys and pain of using discount stamps... save big but work alot harder to get where I am going ..

I just happened to stumble upon an American who want to sell 3k for 1500  so I did it ... Now I want to use them on everything not just lettermail ..

i was not using them on expedited because I was further ahead to only use them where I did not already get a discount but 50% is much more then 18% so I am now going to use them on everything..

Thanks everyone very much appreciated ...

Funny Thing Elm was your suggestion was exactly what I was doing well asking this question LOL

Message 18 of 21
latest reply

Thanks for the image.

I always keep running out of stamp space on the envelope, had never considered the layered approach.

Message 19 of 21
latest reply

"

How to send a letter in Canada with eighty-five (85) one cent ($0.01) stamps:

http://pierrelebel.com/pics/canada/85cover.jpg

Lick away and save.."

Assuming there is gum on that 50% discount stamp you are!

Message 20 of 21
latest reply