Listing currency - could not do US dollars

I have just listed two postcards for AUCTION and have assigned starting prices as $8.99 and $9.99 thinking it will be my default setting in US dollars.

Then I checked my items and noticed that starting prices are shown as Cdn dollars...

Attended both items trying to correct and did not get the option to switch - only Canadian dollars

Did anybody else experience such a restriction today or earlier?  

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Thank you!
Seems to me that for most of us US currency was a default setting under the category, and somehow it underwent the system adjustment for some of us and we did not notice it immediately...

I did not notice it all after so many years not touching this field.
Message 21 of 78
latest reply

Is there any way to get the default setting back to US currency?  This is very annoying when listing as it has to be changed for every lighting.  I forgot to change it and listed an item by mistake in CAN dollars.  The default used to be US dollars until this last week.  Just 1 more button to push on each listing.  Why can't ebay just quit fixing things that aren't broken !  Smiley Mad

Message 22 of 78
latest reply

I hope somebody reads it and will find it applicable for correction.

I had to end a couple of newly listed items because did not notice the Cdn. currency and I think it will be confusing for everyone (myself included) if among so many US currency items few are in Canadian.

My practical recommendation: As soon as I start "sell similar" the first field I attend is CHOOSE A CURRENCY to change it to US or to make sure it is US (sometimes it does not switch to Cdn.) 

Then I attend category, title and the rest of the fields ...

When we finish the first page, the second page has an area called REVIEW YOUR FEES and if everything went properly it will have two lines:

Review your listing

Listing Currency: U.S. dollar

Billing Currency: Canadian dollar

If we did not get this message it means that listing went in Cdn. dollars as well as billing, so we can press BACK button to return to the previous page and correct the listing currency.

If you will develop certain skills to deal with this, please share it as well.

Hope it will be fixed soon!

Message 23 of 78
latest reply

New listing still shows up in CAN, ebay probably changed currency setting for all Canadian sellers

Message 24 of 78
latest reply

If they are actually changing the currency when you relist or use the sell similar function and not notifying you, that is absolutely ridiculous. Obviously the price doesn't stay the same if the currency changes so I'm hoping that this is just a glitch, not something they did on purpose.

Someone who has an example of that happening should write raphael@ebay.com to ask him about it. The items I have listed on .ca are in Canadian dollars so I can't give him an example to show him what is happening.

Message 25 of 78
latest reply

As mentioned earlier, we all should develop the habit to attend the LISTING CURRENCY drop-down window as a first step for NEW LISTING or for SIMILAR LISTING.

After we change to US Currency the rest of the procedure is the same.

I hope this is just a glitch and US currency will stay if seller wants it.

Message 26 of 78
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

My buy it now listings started doing the cdn thing too I have to go back and change it to us before i post it.

Somebody at eBay had brilliant idea and forgot to tell us Smiley Sad

Message 27 of 78
latest reply

Everyone who finds this change unacceptable should post their concerns on the weekly hour board session tomorrow!  Let the ebay reps know in no uncertain terms that THIS CHANGE IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!!Smiley Mad

Message 28 of 78
latest reply

This "sell similar item" trick worked perfectly for me. I sold two items in Canadian dollars and I didn't even know I had listed them in Canadian dollars (because ebay, of course. changed the settings on me without my knowledge). Anyway, I changed the other active Cdn dollar listings to U.S. dollar listings - thank god I had only listed 4 new auctions and it only took a few minutes.

Message 29 of 78
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If they are actually changing the currency when you relist or use the sell similar function and not notifying you, that is absolutely ridiculous.

I just tried a few items the other day (after I saw this topic pop up on the boards), and the currency of the listings that I relisted using "Sell Similar" did change automatically to $Cdn -- I know this because all my listings have been in $US for a few years now.  Using "Relist" didn't seem to produce a change, but I haven't tried actually starting from a brand new listing -- I suspect the default currency is now going to be $Cdn. 

And yes, you're right, it is ridiculous, for many reasons, not to flag this for .ca sellers, which is why sellers who list on .ca in $US are so upset.  Had I not seen these discussions beforehand, I would have had to end a couple of dozen listings in order to re-set the currency.  

Obviously the price doesn't stay the same if the currency changes so I'm hoping that this is just a glitch, not something they did on purpose.

Yes, the actual price (the number itself) stayed the same when using "Sell Similar" even though the currency switched automatically.  So for example, my item that was originally listed for $15.95 US would have been listed for $15.95 Cdn if I'd simply gone through the "Sell Similar" screens as usual.  The thing is, that "currency" drop-down box just suddenly appeared, and it's really not in a very prominent or especially noticeable spot.  At the very least eBay should have put a flag next to it on the SYI form, like they did when they were handing out free relists a few months ago.  

This is no glitch, 'pj', as much as I wish it were.  Judging from the most recent Wednesday Board Hour discussions, it seems clear eBay wants to push us in the direction of listing in $Cdn exclusively -- for exactly what reason, who can really say? The reps were being very cagey about their future plans vis-à-vis obligating Canadian sellers to list in $Cdn, which basically tells me it's coming at some point. 

It's just too much of a coincidence that first we get the sudden "pronouncement" (3 or 4 weeks ago) that all Canadians will experience either a beneficial or neutral effect by listing in $Cdn; the next week the qualification that, well, maybe not all sellers, it depends on your category; then a couple of weeks later the default to $Cdn appears on the SYI form.  Next step: my guess is that at some point, perhaps a few months from now, we'll suddenly find that the $US listing option has disappeared.  This is the way eBay likes to do things. 

Message 30 of 78
latest reply

BTW, posters here might want to read through this thread for more discussion on the same topic (if they haven't already seen it): 

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Seller-Central/Will-Ebay-ca-remove-the-ability-to-list-in-US-dollars-som...

Message 31 of 78
latest reply

"Next step: my guess is that at some point, perhaps a few months from now, we'll suddenly find that the $US listing option has disappeared."

You are most likely correct except for timing.

As stated earlier, I expect eBay-Canada will eventually become a single currency (Cdn$) site like all other eBay sites. However, I also expect that change to be announced well in advance and to take place - more than a year from now - in late 2016 or 2017.

Canadians, like all other sellers worldwide, will retain the ability to sell in US$ by doing what all other international sellers are doing: list on eBay.com.  (I know we Canadians like to think we are "special" but the new eBay may see Canada as just another country, not a dependency of the USA)

The change (if it comes) will require some adjustments but will not be the end of the world.

Many Canadian sellers may benefit by starting to adjust their listings and policies prior to the implementation of the change (if it ever comes)

Message 32 of 78
latest reply

I can change ... Only IF

I can switch from US to Canadian dollars  with the flick of a switch.... 

I have tried many things in an attempt to  change live listings from US to Canadian dollars...

Nothing worked.... whether on eBay or on Turbolister.

Nothing short of ending all listings  and restarting with all new listings..... in Canadian dollars.....  

an extended  torture session.... predicted

That single switch that would allow me to go from US to Canadian dollars for all listings on eBay ... at once...would  make things so easy......

I cannot go to eBay.com... where for books there is a shipping cap.....  I moved my listings from eBay.com to eBay.ca when the shipping cap was introduced.

and when I moved from .com to .ca I had to revise everything in my listing... because I was moving from one site to another site on eBay.

The transition to Canadian dollars on eBay Canada....  will not be pretty.... unless eBay makes some special  and unique adjustments  to facilitate the adjustment

(1) to stay on eBay.ca

Or

(2) To move to eBay.com

and..... to make things interesting

My first four sales in August were 6 books to US buyers...

How different would that have been if I were selling in Canadian dollars.... not US dollars? ? ? ?

Message 33 of 78
latest reply

For example Chinese sellers can list in 5 different currencies (!) why not Canadian sellers can have same privilege?  

Now I have to change currency, shipping policy and payment policy because it was set up in US dollars.

Message 34 of 78
latest reply

"why not Canadian sellers can have same privilege?  "

Yes you and all other Canadian sellers can do it.  You can list on any eBay site you want in the currency of that site.

For example, if you list on eBay-Australia, you must list in Australian dollars, if you list on eBay-France or eBay-Germany, you must list in euro €, if you list on eBay.uk you must list in Sterling £, if you list on eBay.com (USA) you must list in US$, etc...

The choice is yours.  If the Chinese can do it, so can you.

Message 35 of 78
latest reply

Even on dot com I have to change currency, it is automatically set up in CND not USD.

Message 36 of 78
latest reply

When listing on .com, sellers (Americans, Canadians or from overseas) have no option: only US dollar is available as the listing currency.

Message 37 of 78
latest reply

Canadian sellers were given the option of selling in US dollars on eBay.ca 

..... recognizing that our biggest market is the USA, with 10 times the population of Canada.

The ultimate question will be..... Can Canadian sellers continue to sell to the US in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca ?

Or will the US buyers be confused with an exchange of Canadian dollars to US dollars  before the bills are paid....

Message 38 of 78
latest reply

"Can Canadian sellers continue to sell to the US in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca ?"

Yes.

"Or will the US buyers be confused with an exchange of Canadian dollars to US dollars  before the bills are paid...."

I do not think so.  Like thousands of other Canadian sellers I have listed and sold in Cdn$ to Americans.  No problem.

Message 39 of 78
latest reply

A main advantage to listing in Canadian dollars on eBay.ca is the fact that once a price is set...the price in US dollars will vary in relation to the exchange rate.

When listing in US dollars,  the US prices had to be adjusted down , and by doing so the resultant Canadian price was the same today as it was two years ago...

Message 40 of 78
latest reply