Lost Items - Best Way to Re-Send?

Wow - I've had some bad luck with Canada Post in the past couple of weeks!

I sent packages to two different buyers the US - one was tracked, the other was not. Both have gone missing.  The one that was tracked showed it going missing from the get-go - it was never scanned again after I dropped it off at the post office.  Something tells me the other one suffered the same fate.

In both cases, I can re-send the item (have more than one in stock), but I've never been in this situation before where I can send a replacement.  What is the best way to handle this?  How long should I wait before I re-ship, considering the item still may arrive, but also considering my buyers' anxiousness to receive their items?

I can simply re-send them, and message the tracking numbers to them...but is this legit?  For example, if tracking shows the item is received, they could still file an INR since they didn't receive their ORIGINAL item, correct?  So should the re-send be formal, wherein they initiate a claim for item not received, and I respond that I will re-ship the item with a new tracking number?

I've never had as many problems with missing and delayed packages as I've had in the past two weeks.  Strange coincidence or something must going on at the YVR depot...

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Lost Items - Best Way to Re-Send?

I leave the decision making up to the buyer, here some example "form letters" I use.

You will have to customize to your situation (ie in your case if both arrive they'll have to send one back unless they want two) .

I traditionally have had very good luck (ie outcomes and "happy" customers using these style notes), mostly I believe because I leave the decision making/power up to the buyer which engages them in a positive way:

Samples from my form letter library:

========================================================

Hi! THX for your note! Your stamps were mailed as promised on Friday October 21st. I certainly understand your frustration awaiting their arrival, it is a frustration to us both! Unfortunately there seems to be no way to predict what letters will take longer than others! My personal belief is that it is customs that adds the unpredictable delay. You are covered, so you do not need to worry, if they do not eventually show up, you will receive a full refund or I can send a replacement batch of material based on which you prefer. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just let me know via another message like this and I will refund your money at that point or send additional stamps depending on what you would like me to do. Assuming the stamps do eventually arrive, if you went the refund route, just let me know and I will send another invoice so you can pay for them again (small lots like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not show up) or if you went the send an additional group route, I can send an invoice so you can pay for the 2nd group or you can send them back. It is very rare for packages to never arrive, over 99% of the time they just take longer than one would expect to get there. It is unfortunate, but not uncommon,for lots like this to take 2 or 3 or even more weeks to arrive. Please confirm you got this message when you have a chance and thank you very much in advance for your continued patience while they make their journey! Have a great day!

========================================================

Hi! Your parcel was mailed Monday April 8. I certainly understand your frustration awaiting the parcel's arrival, delays like this are frustrating to us both!. Unfortunately parcels like this go through customs, often taking longer to arrive, this is especially true for items from here in the "middle" of Canada to you there in California. I would really appreciate it if you can wait another week or so before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money, but I will be ok whenever you decide. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just send me a message and I will refund your money out of my own funds ASAP. Assuming the parcel does arrive after that, let me know and I’ll send another invoice so you can pay again (small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive). Thank you in advance for your continued patience, RICARMIC (Ron)

=================================================================

Hi XXXXX!

Your parcel was sent as advised on Monday December 17 without tracking (to track would have cost an additional $15.00 more, the costs of tracking are very expensive here in Canada).

I appreciate your patience to date awaiting its arrival! Unfortunately parcels like this go through customs and in the odd case it can take a longer time to arrive. Having said this, it should have arrived long before now.

If you can please open an item not received case, I will immediately refund your money out of my own funds. Assuming the parcel does arrive after that, let me know and I will send another invoice so you can pay again (small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive). 99.5% of the time parcels just take longer than they should to arrive (my loss rate to the US is normally less than 1 in 500 packages). While it is unlikely, it is still possible you will eventually receive it, we're not in "longest time to deliver record" territory yet, so there is still hope!

Anyway, please open the item not received request now/when you can, and I will refund immediately and we will keep our fingers crossed that it eventually shows up.

I do appreciate your patience to date and your positive approach to dealing with the probable loss. RICARMIC (Ron)

================================================================

I understand your frustration awaiting the parcel's arrival,it is frustrating to us both!. Unfortunately parcels like this go through customs and can sometimes take a long time to arrive, this is especially true for items from here in the "middle" of Canada to you there in California, never understood why. You will receive a full refund if your package does not arrive, so you do not need to worry about that part. If it gets to the point that you think it has been long enough, please just send me another message and I will refund your money out of my own funds. Assuming the parcel does arrive after that, let me know and I will send another invoice so you can pay again (small parcels like this are not insured so I am out 100% if they do not arrive). 99% of the time parcels to California just take longer than they should to arrive. I would really appreciate it if you can wait another week or two before we decide the package is lost and I refund your money but I will be ok whenever you decide. Regards, RICARMIC

Message 2 of 2
latest reply