Lost in Translation: Canada Post tracking verus USPS tracking

I've talked about this before but I find it curious the way there are tracking updates on Canada Post that bear no resemblance to what the destination country's tracking says at the time. Like I've had tracking on the CPC website tell me it's been rejected and is on the way back to me the day before it's delivered as if nothing was wrong and here is a lesser example of that.

USA Tracked Packet as viewed on Canada Post's website says:

Date Time Location What is this

Close

Our shipping routes are based on the location of our facilities and the available paths to the destination. For international items, we rely on the postal carriers in foreign countries to provide us with delivery information.

Description Retail LocationSignatory Name

2017/02/0407:29944029998,USAItem redirected to recipient's new address  
2017/02/0103:17USORDA,USAItem has arrived in foreign country What is this  
2017/02/0100:38USORDA,International shipment has arrived in a foreign country  
2017/01/3112:33MISSISSAUGA, ONInternational item being forwarded to destination country What is this  
2017/01/3019:39WINNIPEG, MBItem processed  
2017/01/2816:21WINNIPEG, MBItem accepted at the Post Office  
2017/01/28  Electronic information submitted by shipper What is this

Whereas USPS.com says: 

February 4, 2017 , 7:29 am

Arrived at USPS Facility

SAN MATEO, CA 94402 

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SAN MATEO, CA 94402 on February 4, 2017 at 7:29 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

February 4, 2017 , 5:32 am

Arrived at Unit 

SAN MATEO, CA 94402 

February 3, 2017 , 1:02 am

Departed USPS Facility 

CHICAGO, IL 60701 

February 2, 2017 , 9:05 am

Arrived at USPS Facility 

CHICAGO, IL 60701 

February 1, 2017 , 3:17 am

Processed Through Facility 

ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) 

January 31, 2017 , 12:33 pm

Processed Through Facility 

TORONTO-A, CANADA

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment 

January 30, 2017 , 7:38 pm

Acceptance

An item being redirected might make me worry a bit about delivery but it seems that isn't the case after all. So then how do the scans not correlate between postal systems? 

It's odd. 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

marnotom!
Community Member

I don't see any serious discrepancies in the tracking so far.

The USPS tracking has a couple of scans that don't show up in the Canada Post tracking, and the USPS doesn't have the mostly useless notes about the information being submitted by the shipper, but otherwise the dates and times are the same.  It's just the "vocabulary" that each system has to work with that's a little different.

I'm thinking that the redirection information in the Canada Post site's tracking is just how its system translates the code it received from USPS.  The item has been processed in San Mateo and it's now going to be directed (not necessarily "redirected") to the recipient from the processing facility.

I wouldn't worry about it until you get further information.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

"I'm thinking that the redirection information in the Canada Post site's tracking is just how its system translates the code it received from USPS."

Yes, that's my point: the lines of informational text don't correlate.

Like all the other times I've cited in previous posts about how the lines haven't matched.

I'm not worried; my point is that it's odd there is no correlation in the information displayed in this case, as well as others.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I think both "translations" of the code assigned to that last scan are perfectly valid.

If you notice, there's more detail in the ZIP code in the Canada Post scan then there is in the USPS details.  That may have something to do with the Canada Post translation of the code being a "redirection" of the item.

Or it may be that the recipient's ZIP code doesn't begin to match the one in San Mateo.  Since this may be a matter of course for USPS, there's no need to go into that sort of detail in the online-viewable tracking information.  On Canada Post's end, that sort of information may be worth noting for domestic parcel shipments and so the code is articulated differently online.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

USPS tracking system really sucks in a big way.  It seems that the employees of USPS are so lazy that they don't scan any item from A to B, B to C, etc., only when it arrived to the buyers.   It is my experience that they are that way for years and years.  They are getting paid of doing nothing!!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

USPS tracking system really sucks in a big way.  It seems that the employees of USPS are so lazy that they don't scan any item from A to B, B to C, etc., only when it arrived to the buyers.   It is my experience that they are that way for years and years.  They are getting paid of doing nothing!!

I don't know if you're speaking of all USPS services or only ones where you've had experience as a recipient, but some USPS services only offer delivery confirmation, not tracking.

First Class International Package is one of these services that only offers delivery confirmation, and only in certain circumstances.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

What worries me about tracking in the USA, is that it appears that if the labeled parcel reaches the right zipcode, it is considered deliverd.

Unlike Canadian postal codes, which cover fairly small areas or few destinations. Most urban codes seem to be only a postal walk or even just part of a walk. (The ones I am most familiar with covered a residential city block in two instances, and half of a commercial block in another.)

Is there any advantage to the seller to use the extended zipcode. Not just 90210 but 90210-1234?

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:
Is there any advantage to the seller to use the extended zipcode. Not just 90210 but 90210-1234?

As I understand it, the USPS main use of the extended ZIP is for lettermail, but not for parcels.

-..-

Message 8 of 8
latest reply