Managed Payment question

Why after you have given all your bank informations they come back asking for a picture of your driver license to verify your identity?

Any reasons and has anyone also had to do that?

Thanks for any answers 

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Managed Payment question

It seems that sometimes they ask for only the drivers licence number, sometimes a passport number and at other times a picture of one of them. I had to provide a scan of my drivers licence even though I have been selling here for 16 years. Had to do the same for PayPal.

Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

Dont be surprised if the ask our type of underwear next ... I'm done with Ebay

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

I was asked for either passport or drivers license when one of my .com listings sold (but no scan requested).

One thread in the ebay.com forums mentioned that the IRS  wants ebay to provide sales info for American taxpayers who sell more than $600/year starting in 2022.

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

"The law does not concern itself with trifles"  is an old proverb.

The reason CBSA let so many low value parcels through without charging import fees (pre- NewNAFTA in July 2020) was that it would cost more to assess and collect the minimal fees due than the customs officer was being paid.

If the IRS is looking at $600 income, they are wasting taxpayer money.  That's garage sale money.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

I was asked for either passport or drivers license when one of my .com listings sold (but no scan requested).

One thread in the ebay.com forums mentioned that the IRS  wants ebay to provide sales info for American taxpayers who sell more than $600/year starting in 2022.

System will also accept Provincial issued Government ID number. When I registered a photo of that ID was NOT requested. It really is appearing that what you will asked for depends on the day of the week it is. Kinda like going through customs and being asked  to open your luggage.

-Lotz

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

Likely due to FINTRAC requirements as Adyen Canada Ltd is registered with FINTRAC as a Money Services Business which subjects them to know your client requirements which you can review here

fintrac.jpg

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

So that when they "accidentally" have a data breech its easier to steal your identity and get false credit cards issued in your name. Paypal never required that degree of info. All they ever did to verify was send a 1 cent charge to the linked bank/CC account with a unique identifier #  which was easily found by checking your account activity, and which you then put on a form on their website.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@hlmacdon wrote:

Likely due to FINTRAC requirements as Adyen Canada Ltd is registered with FINTRAC as a Money Services Business which subjects them to know your client requirements which you can review here

fintrac.jpg

Maybe all well and good, depending on your perspective but it might be helpful if anything that are true requirement(s), are included as part of an official disclaimer WHEN you fill in your application. It shouldn't be, oh by the way, after the fact.

Then  update the system so a seller can go into their personal settings(sign in required) and remove personal information where possible if you feel having filling it in originally was not "really" a requirement. It's been mentioned that you could view and remove SIN if you included originally. I've looked multiple times and that info does not display in MY settings. Situations will have varied for many. In most cases people  filled in what they needed to fill in just to complete the application because they felt getting & continueing to get paid was extremely important!!

Presently the bulk of discussion posts are MP related concerns. Because there seems to be more problems as more folks take the plunge. Not less.

-Lotz

Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

Maybe all well and good, depending on your perspective but it might be helpful if anything that are true requirement(s), are included as part of an official disclaimer WHEN you fill in your application. It shouldn't be, oh by the way, after the fact.

Presently the bulk of discussion posts are MP related concerns. Because there seems to be more problems as more folks take the plunge. Not less.

A lot of sellers are understably antsy about it given it changes how we receive funds and depending on how you do business it may be very disruptive.  For what it's worth I've had paypal require additional personal identification and documentation for my account as well, and jumped through compliance related hoops for other accounts opened. The regulations in this area are always evolving,  particularly when money is moving between countries. It's never fun giving out personal identifying info to third parties but f you are concerned about your personal information and credit concerns you might consider arranging fraud alert/monitoring on your credit file.

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@hlmacdon wrote:

@lotzofuniquegoodies wrote:

A lot of sellers are understably antsy about it given it changes how we receive funds and depending on how you do business it may be very disruptive.  For what it's worth I've had paypal require additional personal identification and documentation for my account as well, and jumped through compliance related hoops for other accounts opened. The regulations in this area are always evolving,  particularly when money is moving between countries. It's never fun giving out personal identifying info to third parties but f you are concerned about your personal information and credit concerns you might consider arranging fraud alert/monitoring on your credit file.

The more folks enroll, the more folks join the ansy wagon. All it takes is being hijacked once  or knowing someone that has been and people get very nervous. If these concerns were addressed properly 2 years originally along with going forward many would feel much more comfortable enrolling. Trust has to be earned. In other words, the majority of MP was not in the brochure.

-Lotz

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

All I had to provide was the institrution number, branch number, account number, and same name as shown on my chequing account.

Nothing more.

I was never asked for any other info to register.

I was good to go.

Cheque example.jpg

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@deeeight  wrote:

So that when they "accidentally" have a data breech its easier to steal your identity and get false credit cards issued in your name. Paypal never required that degree of info. All they ever did to verify was send a 1 cent charge to the linked bank/CC account with a unique identifier #  which was easily found by checking your account activity, and which you then put on a form on their website.

Bingo!  The whole thing sounds like way too much info for a payment provider to need and has to make you wonder what they want it for!

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@hlmacdon wrote:

In 15+ years with PayPal, I have never been required to provide additional personal identification or documentation other than the small amount when I joined. I have never had any problems with transactions either though so perhaps it has something to do with it. I did have one odd thing happen once when I transfered a larger sum of money to my bank. The transfer was initiated and somewhere along the way something must have happened because PayPal grabbed the transfer and sent it back to my PayPal account. If that was a hacking attempt then it just goes to show how good their system is.

I like PayPal and am staying with them.  Sorry but that is the way it is for me. Firm believer in " If it isn't broken don't fix it (or change it)

Fraud alert and monitoring cost money which means even more expense for sellers on top of all the extra work required to join this new system.  One has to ask themselves if they are actually making enough profit now to justify this. Sure you can pass this on to the buyer in your item costs but that starts a vicious circle. Start charging buyers too much more and they will stop buying. Then everything goes back to square one again.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@mcrlmn wrote:

All I had to provide was the institrution number, branch number, account number, and same name as shown on my chequing account.

Nothing more.

I was never asked for any other info to register.

I was good to go.

Hmmmm.... Once again diferent strokes for different folks. Why are some being treated differently than others?

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@blackranda2 wrote:

In 15+ years with PayPal, I have never been required to provide additional personal identification or documentation other than the small amount when I joined.

They can flag accounts for compliance checks at any time as regulations change or as part of their ongoing account reviews. Here's one I had to go through a few years back that included submitting personal identifaction along with other information. That account goes way back to the beginning of when we could get paypal accounts and had been a business acount for years prior to the request for further information and documentation. Personally I prefer paypal for the same reasons as everyone else and it is far more flexible for my own business, but you can run into the same issues and have your account essentially turned off until you provide them with the information they want.

ppalid.jpg

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@hlmacdon 

Thanks for sending the screen shot.

Good to know this for the future if I should ever be asked to submit more information.  Hopefully I won't.

I realize we live in an ever changing world. When things change it makes me wonder if the way we did things before was as bad as it is made out to be. Most changes make things even more complicated. Is simpler so bad? Sometimes I wish the ride would stop and let me off.  Old school thought, perhaps?

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

Why are some being treated differently than others?

Nobody's being "treated" any different than any one else.

It doesn't have anything to do with "different strokes".

Obviously concerns or shortcomings.

No, it's not a data mining operation.... Sheesh.

You asked.

Hmmmm....

If you didn't find what you were looking for here, maybe you're looking or inquiring in the wrong place.

Did I just spot the T-Bird from American Graffiti?

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

@mcrlmn 

I am trying to respond to your reply to me by copying and pasting your message and addressing your comments but the system is flagging the message.  Not sure if it is your text or my reply text it is rejecting. 

So will leave it for now.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Managed Payment question

I asked Why are some being treated differently than others?

You replied  Nobody is being treated differently than others.

I disagree. If members are being asked to give different information than other members when they sign up, they are being treated differently.

You wrote  Obviously concerns or shortcomings.

Not sure what you mean? Concerns and shortcomings about what?

You wrote No, it is not a data mining operation.... Sheesh.

I didn't mention anything about data mining.  However data mining is becoming a very popular tactic with large corporations. There are many posts online about how much of privacy concern it is now.  Also posts about it harming coporations who are not using it responsibly. 

You wrote 

Hmmmm....

If you didn't find what you were looking for here, maybe you're looking or inquiring in the wrong place.

Again no idea what you mean by this?

Wish the T-Bird was mine but it is not.

Message 20 of 20
latest reply