Message from Andrea Stairs, managing director of eBay Canada

Hello Canadian sellers,

Today I'm relaying a message from eBay Canada's managing director, Andrea Stairs. Her message will be posted in italics in my next few posts.

Message 1 of 56
latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

My modest suggestions:

(1) Bring back Canada Post online display of the Small Packet originate scan. This would let markets like eBay know when the seller has shipped the item (plus reassure the customer it has been mailed).

(2) Create Small Packet Canada as a shipping service. Flat rate to anywhere in Canada, no insurance, originate scan but no online tracking, same weight categories as Small Packet USA. With cost rates between oversize lettermail and Expedited parcel.

-..-

Less modest:

The primary focus for Canada Post should be on delivering services that benefit Canadian sellers and buyers.

-..-

Message 21 of 56
latest reply

1. Lower shipping rates within Canada... tired of getting blamed for postage being higher within Canada and less to ship outside of our own country.

2. Lower International Tracked Packet rates or at the very least switch back to Small Packets USA and International being insured up to $100.00

3. Increase the allowable max. depth of 2cm for Oversize Lettermail and Light Packet

Message 22 of 56
latest reply

i would just like to concur, with getting the shipping rates in line with our usa counterparts, if they can mail something across the country for 4-5$ tracked, why do i have to pay 18-19$ to get it to the border, where USPS then takes over. it should be 4-5 $ to get it to the border than 4-5$ to get it to it's destination..

and yes in Canada  we need tracking all small items less than 2 cm, so ebay will believe we actually mailed the items, and can prove they were delivered. like for an extra 1$, as they carry the scanners anyway, and the items are in their bag, not the truck.

just my 2 thoughts.

If we were looking for someone to speak for the people i would like to be first to nominate Pierre, as this man is overloaded with real credible experience, and a long time ebayer who has seen it all..his insight would be incredible valuable.

Message 23 of 56
latest reply

There are several points that should be made

(1) Canada Post should be responsible for all mail .....lettermail and parcels...... delivery to all destinations in Canada, as it is right now.

(2) Tracking  should be available at low cost for lettermial/letterpost.

(3) Canada Post should not have to explain itself if it is doing something to reduce cost,  in order to maintain or improve upon service to the people of.Canada 

(4) Canada Post must be made an essential service.  In so doing  there will be mail service 365 days a years, without any stoppage.  This is critical..  With each year there is more parcels being mailed....  and in Canada,  

Canada Post is very important with the delivery of mail order purchases  , eBay included, is more important to Canada with each passing year. 

The delivery of lettermail and parcels ...is critical  365 days a year... and if the last few years are indicator of the future... The need for parcel delivery will go up dramatically...   

The increase in parcel delivery will be economically beneficial to Canada Post , and will definitely balance any reduction in lettermail, and the use of community mailboxes.... Community Mailboxes will be a a critical adjustment  for lettermail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something to know  but not necessary say -----

This last standoff between CPC and CUPW has been most frustrating, with negotiations going on in a most one-sided basis, with the union effectively saying no to everything.  

The Canada Post Corporation Act allows Canada Post to .reduce costs if it is beneficial to the postal service  and provides no loss or an improve delivery of mail to the people of Canada.

Canada Post Corporation is perhaps the only corporation in Canada that is responsible to an act of Parliament......How much of the arguments with the union can be neutralized by saying....CPC is doing this to reduce cost, and improve CPC's service to the people of Canada

CPC knows that eBay sellers are out there ready to use Canada Post....  The union knows only one thing.... The union.

CPC is in control of the money... The union contributes no money to the postal service, and wants everything their way, whatever the cost... 

The time where the union always wins  has passed.....  The union must work with CPC, to create an improved postal service...

-----------------------------------------------------------

Privatization of any part of Canada Post is a dangerous proposition.....  Once privatized, the least economical  parts of the privatized system will be deleted....  Canada Post cannot delete any part of the delivery system,  as defined by the CPC Act.

DHL came to Canada with the aim of delivery to all parts of Canada, ... and ... soon... DHL found  that it was most economical to deliver to areas of high population density...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The Canada Post Corporation Act is a good read for anyone...  and very important for anyone that plans to make a presentation as a part of the Review of Canada Post.

Message 24 of 56
latest reply

2) re-organize the many "parcels" (including Purolator) divisions and sell that segment to the private sector so there will be open competition by all parcel delivery services.  Current post offices and franchised postal stations could be used for such service.

pierre lebel

#2....that's a really really bad idea that can't be good for any of Canada Post's current customers and I don't see how it would be of any help to what would remain of Canada Post. 

recped

I tend to agree with recped.

It is worth noting that Canada Post as a Crown Corporation generally makes a profit while servicing all parts of Canada, not just the cities, paying union wages and benefits, and charging less than the private companies. All this while carrying the money losing lettermail business.

Message 25 of 56
latest reply

This is an observation more than a suggestion and there may or may not be a CPO solution.

Every time CPO raises shipping rates, a number of sellers fold because they can no longer compete with US sellers because of Canadian shipping costs.

Since those sellers are no longer here on eBay to add to the discussion, I'm taking a moment to speak for them.

Every time I see that I wonder if CPO is shooting itself in the foot.  

The suggestion is to take a very close look at the data and determine if price increases lead to more income of if they lead to fewer shipments and thus lower income.

There are many items which were sold on line in the past, but which Canadians can no longer sell because of constant shipping price increases.

Message 26 of 56
latest reply

@merritt-motorcycle-salvage wrote:

3. Increase the allowable max. depth of 2cm for Oversize Lettermail and Light Packet

Not going to happen -- the USPS has a similar thickness restriction (only in inches)

Message 27 of 56
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Not going to happen -- the USPS has a similar thickness restriction (only in inches)

Not really, First Class Letters & Flats have similar maximum thickness but First Class Packages do not (well they do but it's 15 inches!).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 28 of 56
latest reply

i would just like to concur, with getting the shipping rates in line with our usa counterparts, if they can mail something across the country for 4-5$ tracked,

Yaah, but.

The USPS is not a profit centre for the US government, even overlooking the questionable upcoming pension costs. The same questions have been raised about CPO pensions. And wrestled to the ground.

This request also overlooks the cost of shipping to our vast hinterland.

Only mildly off topic, one reason sports teams are reluctant to expand in Canada is that our cities are isolated. With the exception of Toronto/Hamilton/Oshawa there is nothing like the US Eastern Seaboard with urban coverage from Boston to Washington with almost no large (100 km ) expanses of rural lands.

It's a two hour drive from Ottawa to Montreal through farmland. It's five hours from Ottawa to Toronto, through farmland.

Not enough people to support a team.

(Except in Saskatchewan. But .... that's Saskatchewan.)

Message 29 of 56
latest reply

Once upon a time ago Canada Post had a "book rate"  as a low cost mail option....  almost equivalent to the Media Mail option of USPS.

This Canada Post option disappeared many, many decades ago.... over 50 years ago... sometime in the 1950's  if I remember correctly.

The USPS is controlled and managed by the US Government... All increases in cost of postage is regulated by the government.

There will come a day when USPS Rates  will get changed... some quite dramatically

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The fact that Canada Post is a Corporation,  independent of government monetary input makes Canada Post unique worldwide.

Many countries are watching carefully,  the US included.

Canada Post is in the process of making major adjustments,  and must be allowed to do so without question.  The internet  has changed how we function  in many ways.  Canada Post is making adjustments in relation to this new age of the internet.  We must work with Canada Post to meet the challenge of the internet.... that is less lettermail, and lots more parcels.

eBay contributes with online sales.... lots of parcels.....  eBay also feeds lettermail into Canada Post,, but nothing compared to parcels weighing over 500 grams.

Canada Post will adjust, and Canada Post will function as a self-sustaining corporation. 

Message 30 of 56
latest reply

Another message from Andrea Stairs: 

Thank you to everyone who has posted to this thread — I very much appreciate your engagement. We will be contacting 2-3 members who have provided representative comments to ask for contact details to forward to the parliamentary committee; the list is due by the end of today. 

While there is no guarantee that eBay sellers will be called to testify, there are many ways of ensuring that the government hears the views of Canadian sellers:  Click here to learn more about how you can share your comments directly by email, mail or social media. And, as mentioned earlier, I will take into account the suggestions/concerns posted here should eBay be called to testify, so please keep sharing. 

Again, thank you for taking the time to engage in this discussion and post your thoughts; Canada Post is a critical enabler of ecommerce and we need to take every opportunity to ensure that our voice is heard.

Andrea 

Message 31 of 56
latest reply

My two choices are Femme and Pierre.

I was the kid always chosen last. sigh

Ultimately, what we all want, is direct access to the US market.

It would be nice if there was a dedicated portal to the US from all airports that fly to the US. My mail goes down to Winnipeg and then to Mississauga, why? The answer I get is, because. It then goes from Mississauga to Chicago, well, there are daily planes from Winnipeg to Chicago. Daily planes to Minneapolis and Denver.

eBay states that my parcels will arrive at their US destination in 4-11 business days. That is impossible as  Canada Post, USPS, Canada Customs, US Customs, don't even allow the parcel out of Canada inside of four business days.

It would be really really nice, if CP and USPS could integrate systems.

Photobucket
Message 32 of 56
latest reply

Speaking as a small business person, retired arts lobbyist and former legal researcher/writer my wish list would be: 

1.  A recognition by Canada Post that thousands of Canadian small, independent, or sole proprietorship businesses selling online (not just through eBay) depend on Canada Post parcel delivery service to survive, that a large number of those rely on sales to the U.S., and that many (outside of urban centres) have no other delivery option but CPC.  

Focus efforts in that direction by providing some form of free or reasonably priced acceptance scanning and/or delivery confirmation for the currently non-tracked parcel services, and by reviewing and reorganizing current parcel parameters and costs, eliminating overlap and rationalizing sizing and weight restrictions.  

2.  Abandon daily home lettermail delivery.  Service two or three days a week would be sufficient for most people in today's world.  Direct any savings into the parcel services.  (I don't agree with splitting CPC into two separate services, one Crown and one private; we would then end up with two failed services). 

3.  Retain the current level of small-town and rural Post Offices (also relates to item #1 above).  As CPC no doubt knows, even Wal-Mart is now using Canada Post outlets as pick-up depots for their online sales. 

A post-script to Ms. Stairs: You do, I hope, realize that eBay has, through its own on-time delivery policy, virtually destroyed the usefulness of CPC's fast and cost-effective Light and Small Packet U.S. services for Canadian eBay sellers? 

Message 33 of 56
latest reply

As a further thought, perhaps Canada Post should do some renewed research, if they haven't done so in the last 2 or 3 years, to determine how many online businesses depend on CPC parcel services -- not the number of parcels or deliveries per week/year/etc. (which is CPC's usual focus), but the number of people relying on their services.  

Those people represent incomes, livelihoods, pensioner top-ups and ultimately tax revenue for governments.  I suspect the total would be a not insignificant percentage of the Canadian population. 

Certainly eBay Canada (and Amazon and Etsy) could start by helping them out with some seller statistics.  

Message 34 of 56
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Ultimately, what we all want, is direct access to the US market.

It would be nice if there was a dedicated portal to the US from all airports that fly to the US. My mail goes down to Winnipeg and then to Mississauga, why? The answer I get is, because.

It would be really really nice, if CP and USPS could integrate systems. 

I agree, and I laughed when I read your description.  My air parcels go to Halifax, then Montreal, then to JFK in NYC, like yours literally back and forth halfway across the continent, before they go elsewhere in the U.S.

Message 35 of 56
latest reply

Parcels mailed in Canada, go through customs in Mississauga, ON and in Richmond BC.

Previously parcels mailed in Winnipeg would through customs in Winnipeg.  Then customs was moved south  to Emerson as the customs point..  I knew someone who used to work in Canada Customs in Winnipeg, and then Emerson.

Everything changed  with 9-11....  and the World Trade Centre came crashing down

Message 36 of 56
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

My two choices are Femme and Pierre.

And Maureen@ mjwl2006 !  She understands what it is to be both Canadian seller AND buyer, and when speaking for (and to) a Canadian postal system has demonstrated an exceptional ability to construct a cogent argument which considers the needs of ALL Canadians including the less advantaged members of society who may be most likely to rely on a postal service.  A Canadian service has more concerns than the American market and a thoroughly Canadian perspective needs to be recognized if we are to believe that what is sought is

the goal of ensuring that Canadians receive quality postal services at a reasonable price.

people who can represent their fellow Canadian eBay sellers in an effective and balanced way.

Message 37 of 56
latest reply

"... nominate Pierre,...."

Thank you for your kind words.

However, as indicated earlier (post #15) I intend to make my own presentation to the Parliamentary Committee, not as part of an eBay delegation.

Message 38 of 56
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

Not really, First Class Letters & Flats have similar maximum thickness but First Class Packages do not (well they do but it's 15 inches!).

Actually, really.

Canada Post Oversize Lettermail and Light Packet match up with USPS First Class Letters & Flats.

It's Canada Post Small Packet USA and Tracked Packet that matches up with USPS First Class Packages.

-..-

Message 39 of 56
latest reply

I'm not a seller (yet), just a buyer... and a card-carrying Wobbly.  Do not try and use eBay users as leverage against the union.  Some of us on eBay support unions and are prepared to pay a few pennies more to ensure that people in this country get their fair slice of the pie.  You want a point to bring to the Parliamentary committee?  Stop deliberately provoking unions.  It's no coincidence that every time the corporations smash unions, incomes drop and the economy tanks.  Unions are the only thing standing between our crumbling capitalist system and a feudal tyranny run by scumbag capitalist robber barons.

Message 40 of 56
latest reply