More AI-generated idiocy

Here's a current example of what eBay's new AI-generation option can produce:

"The model and country/region of manufacture are also important aspects of this item. [It] falls under the category of vintage computing, making it a valuable addition to any collection. Don't let the lack of information about its condition discourage you from adding this gem to your collection."

It's hard to believe anyone could sign off on that last sentence with a straight face. C'mon eBay, get rid of the AI stuff. You're just giving rope to lazy and stupid people to hang themselves with.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

More AI-generated idiocy

I also tried it! It has replaced valuable info with a total nonsense! 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

More AI-generated idiocy

marnotom!
Community Member

@aramatic wrote:

C'mon eBay, get rid of the AI stuff. You're just giving rope to lazy and stupid people to hang themselves with.

And?

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

More AI-generated idiocy

@aramatic wrote:

Here's a current example of what eBay's new AI-generation option can produce:

"The model and country/region of manufacture are also important aspects of this item. [It] falls under the category of vintage computing, making it a valuable addition to any collection. Don't let the lack of information about its condition discourage you from adding this gem to your collection."

It's hard to believe anyone could sign off on that last sentence with a straight face. C'mon eBay, get rid of the AI stuff. You're just giving rope to lazy and stupid people to hang themselves with.

@aramatic 

Sounds like computer generated gobbly **bleep** or fluff!! It's not gonna be eBay on the hook for INAD'd.

-Lotz

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

More AI-generated idiocy

I got writer's block on a story and tried ChatGPT to give myself a boost.

Three genres and three  of the most flaccid derivitive lumps of prose I have ever read.

On the other hand, it did remind me I'm pretty good at writing on my own and now the story which started as horror  will be a reverse Hallmark (city girl brings her small town boyfriend to city).

OTOH the grammar and spelling were perfect.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

More AI-generated idiocy

AI currently is a good tool to minimize work for standardized tasks. It can also multiply the output of a competent individual.

A major problem with consumer level AI is that they continue to add safety blocks to prevent bad actors from using it, like university students. Those safety blocks affect everybody who use it, including those who use it in good faith. 

In terms of eBay's use, I would argue they should remove the AI description tool it as it currently is because it doesn't add value to the platform for sellers or buyers. They descriptions sound terrible, and they are also often inaccurate. 

Something like AI could benefit eBay if they find ways to reduce the amount of time that sellers use on standardized tasks. For example, they use image recognition for trading cards. That's a great feature because if you are a high-volume seller, saving even a minute or two per listing adds up to thousands of hours of labour per year.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

More AI-generated idiocy

@marnotom! wrote:

@aramatic wrote:

C'mon eBay, get rid of the AI stuff. You're just giving rope to lazy and stupid people to hang themselves with.

And?

The penny-wise Scot in me is asking, "How much is this costing to develop, implement, and maintain?"

Especially in a selling environment where customers must rely on the accuracy of our descriptions and images to purchase at all, how does this increase buyer confidence?

Message 7 of 7
latest reply